Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

ATK raider 14 DIN binding

We just posted a video made at ISPO on
    www.facebook.com/mountaininthecity.
    Sorry it's in italian but at least you can see the binding
    The cost should be around 450/500 euro if I got it right...
    The Raider 12 so far has collected very positive reviews in the southern alps, but I have no first hand experiences...

I skied it today at SIA, but DIN was set to 7(I mostly ski 8 on my speed radicals, small guy). The adjustment plates for it are a bit finicky, I prefer the speed radical for adjusting. It is also quite slow to adjust, which is a PITA for demo situations. Front brakes are a cool concept, one thing to note is that you need to push the brake lever down once you are in the ski, it will not retract on its own. All in all a fine binding. A bit more polished than Speed Radical other than the BSL adjustment.

It looks like these are in stock now at certain places in Italy. But no info on ATK's website still.

They are also making womens versions of the RT and SL-R race binding this year it seems, but it looks like all they are doing is coloring them purple.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    it looks like all they are doing is coloring them purple.
    What else would you do to a ski binding to make it a woman's version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What else would you do to a ski binding to make it a woman's version?
    The SL-R has the highest release values of any rando race binding, so a women's version would make sense for ATK.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    so a women's version would make sense for ATK.
    My point was the purple not lower DIN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Heard that most of Europe will get their shipments around early October. Gonna try and get my hands on one. Might also take it down to Aspen and have Lou/Wildsnow do what he does with bindings...

Has anyone played with either 12 or 14 version? I had my hands on the 12 version last winter but didn't try to remove the brakes. I'm wondering if the brakes can be removed, exchanged for different size and used without.

I own a pair of the 14s and have been skiing on them for most of the winter. The binding has been bomber and I haven't had a problem with anything. They have kept my heels in for up to 30' hucks, but haven't done 40' yet (this is the reason I can't use Dynafits). The toes have a much higher clamping force than Radicals, so less likely to pre-release from high speed chatter. The springs in the brakes are pretty weak - they won't stop a ski in a high speed release, but seem to do the trick for low speed releases. Turning the heel risers by ski pole is do-able, but a bit tricky. I'm starting to get the hang of it and can do it quicker now, but it's not as easy as the flip-down Radicals.

I mounted them by marking the Dynafit Vertical toe pattern, then centering the ATK toe piece on those markings, then marked the outer 4 ATK holes with a punch tool and drilled. Then I mounted the toes, and clicked my boots in. With the boots clicked in, I slid the heelpiece and heel spacer into the boot and dropped the boot onto the ski and punched marks for the heel holes. Removed the boot and mounted the heelpiece. Sort of a long process but it was easy and worked perfectly.

I'll look into your brake question when I get home, but from memory, the brakes looked removable and replaceable.

Thanks Lindahl.

I'd really like the RT with the flip style elevator, but it is actually more expensive than the Raider 12(especially when you consider that you get the adjustment plate included in the 12). So if I can take the brakes off easily I may go that way,

Cheers

350 grams per foot with (mediocre) brakes? Lindahl, is that legit?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Yeah, both mine came in under 360g per foot, all in (can't remember exact weight).

The brakes are easily removable. There are two small hex screws holding them in. They're a little harder to put back in, because of the springs, but a flathead screwdriver does the trick. It's definitely designed to be removable. Wouldn't be too hard to swap between skinny and fat skis. Very slick binding design. Engineering perfection, imo. ATK knows what they're doing. I could probably even replace the brake springs with something stiffer so that they'd work better.

The 120mm brakes and screws weigh 52g each. If you're going to permanently remove the brakes, you could grind off another 10-20g from each baseplate.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 01-24-2015 at 01:43 PM.

What ski crampons can you use with them?

Oh! Also, didn't see anything about the ramp delta. 17mm? 13? 6?

And lindahl? What boots are you using?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Not sure how Lou measures ramp delta, but for a 300 BSL, they have 4.75mm LESS delta than my speed radicals.

I wear 2015 25.5 Cochise 120s and swap between stock liner and an Intuition ProTour liner.

Not sure about crampon compat, but here's a photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422214642.784671.jpg 
Views:	1419 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	163091

I just got some intuition pro tour liners.
    Can you take off your boots with the liners in them, or do you take off your feet with liners still on?

Boots with liners come off together.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    gots a pair
    thanks sfotex
    put em on some pure lotus 120's

not suure needed all 8 toe screws but 2 were prexisting and the other 6 can't hurt
    couple tours on em and some groomed to get out/in runs
    brakes are wimpishly meh and not sure if they'll do much but beats havin shit attached to you in avvy terrain and meets the resorts ski retention device requirements
    not into weight weenie or ramp angle techno nerd shizz but
    skin great ski great so far
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Looks crazy light and nicely made.
    watch out for snakes

I decided to go with the RT + the race style riser flip( http://www.atkrace.it/product/al04-r...aiser/?lang=en ) even though when you add the adjustment plate and riser it costs more than the raider 12 and doesn't include brakes!

I haven't mounted it yet, but so far it feels very nice. ATK does a very good job as far as I have seen(40 days on a pair of SL race bindings + 5 or so on Raider 12s)

SFB, can you measure the hole spacing on the rear? I think it is 60x60mm but I haven't been able to get my hands on a pair to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not suure needed all 8 toe screws but 2 were prexisting and the other 6 can't hurt
    8 screws! That's crazy (and heavy). I'm not an enginerd, but that seems unnecessary.

4 screw holes for the old Dynafit Vertical pattern and 4 screws with a wide mount pattern. I only used the 4 wide screws. In my opinion, the 4 inner screws are just there so you can avoid drilling when replacing your dynafits (or other ATK bindings). Otherwise, I don't see any reason to use the 4 inner ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    4 screw holes for the old Dynafit Vertical pattern and 4 screws with a wide mount pattern. I only used the 4 wide screws. In my opinion, the 4 inner screws are just there so you can avoid drilling when replacing your dynafits (or other ATK bindings). Otherwise, I don't see any reason to use the 4 inner ones.
    That makes a lot more sense. Clever actually.

I'm intrigued by this binding. Info seems oddly hard to come by.