Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    So, sending them back into TelePyrenees tomorrow and they are getting replaced. Hopefully the replacements hold up better.

So Just got them back yesterday, They seem to have a slightly different pin holding the toe's in then I remember before so will be interesting to see how they hold up. Should hopefully get them out for some chill turns in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    Well both toe pieces on mine now have issues already which is not good. Just emailed Telemark pyreenes where i bought them about sorting out warranty.
    Attachment 331418
    Overall not massively impressed with the new toe piece, The binding skis good but I have had a few easy pre-releases that I think were related to the Toe piece failing interested to hear what other people notice as most of the good press on this binding was with the OG Toe piece. Hopefully they sort it out nice with warranty for me.

Summer Ski stoke for attention. Glad the toe piece didn't rip on me in the middle of this line or it would be a different article.
    Attachment 331419
    What ended up happening with your toes?

So Just got them back yesterday, They seem to have a slightly different pin holding the toe's in then I remember before so will be interesting to see how they hold up. Should hopefully get them out for some chill turns in the next couple of days.
    So this time, I trust you won't test them again by prying with a screwdriver ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

So I've got about 10days on them so far this season. Haven't skied anything that really put a ton of force on them but they are skiing good. My biggest complaint with them is that with the FR14 when run brakeless w/stomp pad, there is a big hole that really collects snow and I actually lost one of the sides of a stomp platform.
    I have a pair of The older version coming the freeraider 14's with the front brakes and hope they should be better for that.

No prying W/a screwdriver on them last time, just random failure on each toe piece, They never actually failed but they were on there way. Warranty process was very long and if it wasn't for covid I would have been pissed but given the circumstances it is what it is.

New ones will be tossed on my 4frnt Renegades so It'll be interesting to see how they hold up to some uphill pillow landings that are bound to happen.

Some Stoke from the freshly warrantied bindings!

^^^ Outfuckingstanding.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

****** Posted in the other ATK thread as welll

Had a pretty big pre release on the C- raider 12's with (Freeride spacers )today ripping on a smooth groomer. Dins set at 11/11 . I only weigh 170 lbs. Never had a pre release on dyanfits in past 12 years.

My boots were clear of snow and ice. I think it was a vertical release from the heel.

When I got home I started checking the heel gap. I pulled the calipers out and measured the small piece that ATK gives you to measure heel gap and its 4.40mm ( they call for 4mm) On top of the guage being thicker i originally put the gauge between the heel and binding per their directions but slid the gauge roughly to the ******* bottom of the metal heel piece attached to heel of boot***** by pushing it down that far it effectively makes the heel gap bigger from what i can tell. This along with the guage provided being .40 mm too thick had my heel gap a little over 5mm.

Did I mess up on my original gap set ? How are you guys measuring heel gap? These are mounted on a stiff underfoot ski... I'm spooked at this point.

So I've got about 10days on them so far this season. Haven't skied anything that really put a ton of force on them but they are skiing good. My biggest complaint with them is that with the FR14 when run brakeless w/stomp pad, there is a big hole that really collects snow and I actually lost one of the sides of a stomp platform.
    I have a pair of The older version coming the freeraider 14's with the front brakes and hope they should be better for that.

No prying W/a screwdriver on them last time, just random failure on each toe piece, They never actually failed but they were on there way. Warranty process was very long and if it wasn't for covid I would have been pissed but given the circumstances it is what it is.

New ones will be tossed on my 4frnt Renegades so It'll be interesting to see how they hold up to some uphill pillow landings that are bound to happen.

Some Stoke from the freshly warrantied bindings!
    Beauty of a line. Where generally is this?

^^ Rogers pass on Mt Abbott.
    New Pair just shipped! Merry xmas 2 me.

Just got my pair of the last generation freeraider 14 2.0's(break on the front)
    Brake comes off super easy which is good because damn is it bulky on those boi's, I love the freeride spacer not having a snow hole though curious if it will fill in the divot behind and and the heel post. Got um mounted on some new 4frnt Renegades whcih are lighter then my current setup.

Stoked as can be, though the heel post on these is waaay harder to rotate into tour mode then my newer ones!
    Happy new year all.

Hey, I just got my pair of FR14's mounted but would like to Quiver Kill and maybe shim them... Has anyone made their own shims (I can order from Spyderjon but if I can 3d print locally it would save time and shipping)? Also, would anyone know the difference between the 2 listed mounting patterns on the atk website (XFR vs FR)? I don't know what I have...

https://www.atkbindings.com/wp-conte...rev01_2020.pdf
    https://www.atkbindings.com/wp-conte...rev01_2020.pdf

Thanks!

Wanted to share my experience with the FR14. I purchased mine in the fall of 2019 from Telemark Pyrenees and mounted them to a pair of Deathwish Tours. Logged 30+ days on them the 19/20 season in a huge range of conditions, from pow in Rogers Pass to Oregon volcano corn. My impression of the binding at the end of that season was that I would never purchase anything else for lightweight touring - they were that good. Unfortunately the beginning of this season is when they began to show issues (also mentioned by another user earlier in this thread): the pin/axle that the toe piece pin arm hinges on began to slide out of its hole. This pin appeared to be press-fit into the toe piece and would occasionally work itself loose. It had never fully fallen out and I was always able to use a ski pole to tap it back into place... until the day it did fall out completely and my binding fell to pieces. Luckily I was able to locate the parts and managed to reassemble the toe in the field but this could have been a very serious problem in different circumstances. It's worth mentioning that this occurred while walking - I never noticed the pin shifting while in ski mode. I would estimate the bindings had about 40 days on them by this point. Here's an image of the incident:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5557.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	358740

I sent the above image to Telemark Pyrenees who responded almost immediately with an offer to replace my bindings (well over a year after the date of purchase, awesome customer service). Two weeks later a brand new set of FR14s arrived in the mail. The toe pieces on the replacement bindings utilize a different design for the pin/hinge, so it seems like they realized and made an attempt to correct the problem. The new bindings also have snow clearing grooves on the pins, which the old bindings did not have. Seems that there are two "generations" of this binding, so buyer beware. Here are some shots of the differences between my 2019 FR14 and the current version from ATK (new binding on the left, old on the right in both images):

Name:	IMG_6353.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	358744

Name:	IMG_6351.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	358745

I've spent 4 days on the replacement bindings with no issues. I am curious if this design update has made its way to the Moment Voyager binding (an FR14 rebrand with a shimmed (EDIT: NOT SHIMMED, taller? higher?) toe to reduce ramp).
    Last edited by flyingskiguy; 01-19-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingskiguy View Post
    I've spent 4 days on the replacement bindings with no issues. I am curious if this design update has made its way to the Moment Voyager binding (an FR14 rebrand with a shimmed toe to reduce ramp).
    The Moment Voyager has the snow clearing grooves and all the other updates.

Also, the Voyager IS NOT SHIMMED. The toes piece is machined differently than an FR14/12 to modify the the ramp and also allows for proper screw penetration into the ski core.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingskiguy View Post
    Wanted to share my experience with the FR14. I purchased mine in the fall of 2019 from Telemark Pyrenees and mounted them to a pair of Deathwish Tours. Logged 30+ days on them the 19/20 season in a huge range of conditions, from pow in Rogers Pass to Oregon volcano corn. My impression of the binding at the end of that season was that I would never purchase anything else for lightweight touring - they were that good. Unfortunately the beginning of this season is when they began to show issues (also mentioned by another user earlier in this thread): the pin/axle that the toe piece pin arm hinges on began to slide out of its hole. This pin appeared to be press-fit into the toe piece and would occasionally work itself loose. It had never fully fallen out and I was always able to use a ski pole to tap it back into place... until the day it did fall out completely and my binding fell to pieces. Luckily I was able to locate the parts and managed to reassemble the toe in the field but this could have been a very serious problem in different circumstances. It's worth mentioning that this occurred while walking - I never noticed the pin shifting while in ski mode. I would estimate the bindings had about 40 days on them by this point. Here's an image of the incident:

Name:	IMG_5557.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	358740

I sent the above image to Telemark Pyrenees who responded almost immediately with an offer to replace my bindings (well over a year after the date of purchase, awesome customer service). Two weeks later a brand new set of FR14s arrived in the mail. The toe pieces on the replacement bindings utilize a different design for the pin/hinge, so it seems like they realized and made an attempt to correct the problem. The new bindings also have snow clearing grooves on the pins, which the old bindings did not have. Seems that there are two "generations" of this binding, so buyer beware. Here are some shots of the differences between my 2019 FR14 and the current version from ATK (new binding on the left, old on the right in both images):

Name:	IMG_6353.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	358744

Name:	IMG_6351.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	358745

I've spent 4 days on the replacement bindings with no issues. I am curious if this design update has made its way to the Moment Voyager binding (an FR14 rebrand with a shimmed toe to reduce ramp).
    Thanks for that. Earlier in this thread (maybe in the 300g thread?) I mentioned that the R12s don't have clearing grooves.

Well, as you note, this year's R12s/FR14s do, they're just not as obvious as the grooves in the pins of my Plum Guides.

I blame my old eyes.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks for that. Earlier in this thread (maybe in the 300g thread?) I mentioned that the R12s don't have clearing grooves.

Well, as you note, this year's R12s/FR14s do, they're just not as obvious as the grooves in the pins of my Plum Guides.

I blame my old eyes.

... Thom
    FR14’s I bought last year have the first pivot design. I’ll keep my eye on them.

FR14’s which I just got and presumed would be last years as the new name is Freeraider 14 actually have the updated pivot design and the snow clearing groove.

So if it worries you then buy in person or an easy return option. I’m guessing all the newer names models will be the updated design.

My 2 pairs of R12 from last year luckily both do have the new pivot design but no snow clearing groove.
    My pair of R12 from this year has the new pivot design, and the
    snow clearing groove.

On the 2021 model, the pivot axle is flush with the housing, on the 2020 model, it protudes by 1mm.
    Also there are some other minor differences between the 20 and 21 model, on the 21, toe spring is stronger, and the climbing aids are very slightly bigger.

Are there people out there doing some true freeriding on this binding?

I.e drops over 30ft, pillow skiing, nose butters, etc...?

If so what has your experience been like? Particularly with vertical over the bars releases?

I don't nose butter, but they held up well enough to some pillow skiing and 30+ft drops for me. I've since moved on to the Vipec, since I prefer the lateral release at the toe, but I felt the FR14s were pretty solid bindings.

Has anyone had compatibility issues between their boots and FR14s? I've been skiing on 2022 Tecnica Cochise 120s and when the boot is fully rotated in the toe piece in walk mode, the toe of the boot makes contact with the ski/walk lever and can push it into ski or even release the toe:

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 15.43.38.png
Views: 590
Size:  720.7 KB

The ATK manual specifically calls this out, so obviously no disrespect to them, but I was a bit surprised to find this issue. One idea I've had is to mount a small shim onto the black component of the binding the toe is supposed to make contact with to give it some extra height, thus keeping the toe off the lever arm, but any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Here’s my slightly older Cochise 120. No contact with the lever. My toes are shimmed though I don’t imagine that would matter.

Name:	Image1654038040.311843.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	417813

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

With the two related boots, the clearance appears to be close, as the second boot isn't rotated as much as the first.

In any case, don't understand how a shim could correct the poblem.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    In any case, don't understand how a shim could correct the poblem.
    Maybe some High Quality Mockups™ will explain my idea:

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 7.06.28 PM.png
Views: 561
Size:  937.2 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 7.06.32 PM.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	417825

Basically: attach the purple shim to the fixed part of the binding such that as the boot rotates forward it stops on the shim before swinging into the lever.

Ah! A bumper. Good idea!

I suppose that apart from there being the equivalent of the Fritschi boot toe denting ("invagination") problem, that could work.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 06-01-2022 at 04:03 PM.
    Galibier Design

Ah yah, "bumper" is probably the choice term here. I think I only need 4-5mm in height to fix it.

Betraying my ignorance here a bit... "Fritschi toe imagination problem"?
    Last edited by griffinmyers; 06-03-2022 at 07:11 PM.

Autocorrect (sorry). The term they adopted for the dented boot toes was "invagination". I edited the above post for posterity ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design