Page 257 of 281 FirstFirst ... 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,425 of 7023
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    On the flip side, I just transferred my 2021 HSA contribution from daily driver bank to Fidelity. Wanted to use some of it to jump on stocks today. But the old fashioned transfer takes 1-3 days. So I wait.
    It took me 3 full business days for my money to go from one broker to another for a registered plan rebalancing. The brokers have the same bank with the accounts at the same head office branch (Vancouver). That's 3 days of my money completely un-useable and in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    It should be noted that we're still veeeerrrryyy early with respect to all of these platforms and they are not without problems. A good rule of thumb in crypto is to realize that most roadmap dates and even features are pretty dynamic. Almost nothing comes out on time and bugs are pervasive. With that being said, the idea is that under the current paradigm, the middlemen (i.e. FB, Spotify, YouTube, etc.) have all the power, control the algos without transparency, and take over-sized cuts. In the long-run, the hope is that the power will shift back to creators, the algos and internals become public, and creators get much bigger rewards for their efforts. In my estimation, most of this stuff is still 5-10 years out.
    id assumed you meant record labels as as middleman. If YouTube is a middleman, the crypto solution has a way higher hurdle. People use YouTube to consume content because it’s easy and free.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    id assumed you meant record labels as as middleman. If YouTube is a middleman, the crypto solution has a way higher hurdle. People use YouTube to consume content because it’s easy and free.
    If the product is free, you're the product.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

https://tune.fm/signup/?next=/

Tune.fm is another project hoping to cut out middlemen and get into NFT’s etc

I listen to music on YouTube all the time - 5 seconds of an advertisement before I skip the ad is the cost (plus whatever data youtube gets from me for wanting to hear that song)

My friend pays for youtube premium so he can skip all adds

If the product is free, you're the product.

we are the product here I don’t see you give a shit do I? If you “owned” posts here how would that matter? Fuck 99.99% of the posts here are worthless individually.

got back into some algo for the long hold today, took a flyer on fetch.ai, see what that does over the next 6 mon or so..

we are the product here I don’t see you give a shit do I? If you “owned” posts here how would that matter? Fuck 99.99% of the posts here are worthless individually.
    I've met Todd and been on TGR film shoots. He's a good dude and I'm not scared he's up to anything nefarious. lol

I've met Todd and been on TGR film shoots. He's a good dude and I'm not scared he's up to anything nefarious. lol
    Lol. Way to dodge the point.

all, ski whores are good for is empty pumpd

Did the "lol" not make it clear it was a joke?

Speaking to this use-case forums are not really that worthwhile. However, for social media, YT, video or other like media online profiles are being monetized and quite successfully. This goes not just for influencers, but also for subject matter experts, news outlets, think-tank kind of sites.

In almost all cases, these profiles are subject to the vagaries of an online service providers terms or vagaries like ad policies often without notice. I'd suspect many people with online profiles would like a bit more control

Worth the time:

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Speaking to this use-case forums are not really that worthwhile. However, for social media, YT, video or other like media online profiles are being monetized and quite successfully. This goes not just for influencers, but also for subject matter experts, news outlets, think-tank kind of sites.

In almost all cases, these profiles are subject to the vagaries of an online service providers terms or vagaries like ad policies often without notice. I'd suspect many people with online profiles would like a bit more control
    Yes forums suck at monetization, even the selling portions of them, and even for more niche subjects instagram is a better marketplace. And sure content creators want more control, and to sustain online content creation they need more control. But there’s a tension between that and the thing the internet has been the best thing in human history at content discovery and that discovery includes ads (paid discovery, trillions of $). And nothing about the details of web3 suggests overturning the extreme fat tail distribution the internet has brought. NFT music ain’t gonna bring riches to every hurdygurdy player with a monkey.

Very, um "timely" article.

https://time.com/6124814/music-indus...nkId=142640874

Yes forums suck at monetization, even the selling portions of them, and even for more niche subjects instagram is a better marketplace. And sure content creators want more control, and to sustain online content creation they need more control. But there’s a tension between that and the thing the internet has been the best thing in human history at content discovery and that discovery includes ads (paid discovery, trillions of $). And nothing about the details of web3 suggests overturning the extreme fat tail distribution the internet has brought. NFT music ain’t gonna bring riches to every hurdygurdy player with a monkey.
    Speaking to others about this (tech nerds like myself, creatives etc). Our conclusion is that (duh) the cream will still rise to the top. Talent will find a way. Disruptive is such a cop-out word but so descriptives sometimes; and this is one of the times. So I agree that there will not be a wholesale change and the web 2.0 paradigm as we know it isn't going anywhere soon.

I think smart contracts are the key. The ability to have unamendable, enforceable promises. That will put an entire system of 'things' into play.

There's always going to be a place for intermediaries, marketplaces, and the attendant ads. But what I suspect that will change is a movement in the power and control dynamics. And it won't be a uniform movement for all players over all aspects of the relationships. But I suspect the trend will be back more to individual control and away from the quasi-oligopolies. Even when I started in tech it was always a thought-experiment that the dominant platform will change every 5 years or so. I've got a strong conviction that smart contracts (and its various expressions via crypto tokens, defi, DAOs etc etc) will trigger this change; if it hasn't already)

Bitcoin....who's gotten into it?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

I think smart contracts are the key. The ability to have unamendable, enforceable promises. That will put an entire system of 'things' into play.
    But why? This is a solution in search of a problem. Do we really have a large problem with amendable, unenforceable promises that will be solved by this? I get the lather, but for the life of me I can’t see how it moves any needle in a very meaningful way. Useful, perhaps. Game changing? What game, exactly?
    Last edited by Mustonen; 12-03-2021 at 05:51 AM.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Game changing? What game, exactly?
    Anywhere complexity is an advantage? Gotta be some more creative options for profiteering from inside information. Silk Road.

Seems like small use cases are on the other end of the spectrum, but what can NFT's do for co-ops?
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

But why? This is a solution in search of a problem. Do we really have a large problem with amendable, unenforceable promises that will be solved by this? I get the lather, but for the life of me I can’t see how it moves any needle in a very meaningful way. Useful, perhaps. Game changing? What game, exactly?
    We currently have a legacy system that takes 3+ business days for many types of domestic payments to clear and our boy is over here like, "What problem needs to be solved?"

We currently have a legacy system that takes 3+ business days for many types of domestic payments to clear and our boy is over here like, "What problem needs to be solved?"

It doesn’t take 3 days, and there’s no reason it should.

It doesn’t take 3 days, and there’s no reason it should.
    Correct.

Also, what does that have to do with NFT contracts?
    focus.

It's extremely simple to code into a smart contract that any transfer of ownership of a token kicks a residual to the creator. That is pretty powerful for the creator. And it's for perpetuity on the chain. Whether it be a piece of music, art, or a ticket to an event where the seller gets a kickback on any subsequent transfers.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat

I get that…and for capitalizing on rich people or enthusiasts who want to own something “authentic” I see how you can create and profit from scarcity. It’s not going to force payment for something that somebody was previously unwilling to pay for, though. It just creates a new thing in an enthusiast market. A certificate of authenticity. Neat. I guess. But outside of maximizing things that already enjoyed scarcity (seats/entrance to a concert, for example) I don’t get how it can revolutionize anything.

Me not getting it doesn’t mean anything, to be sure.
    focus.

I get that…and for rich people or enthusiasts who want to own something “authentic” I see how you can create and profit from scarcity. It’s not going to force payment for something that somebody was previously unwilling to pay for, though. It just creates a new thing in an enthusiast market. A certificate of authenticity. Neat. I guess. But outside of maximizing things that already enjoyed scarcity (seats/entrance to a concert, for example) I don’t get how it can revolutionize anything.

Me not getting it doesn’t mean anything, to be sure.
    droit de suite (artists resale right, the relevant part for here is the royalty collected) has existed in France for ~100 years now, and Europe for close to 20. There’s a fair bit of literature on it and contra to claims above, it’s tended to favor better off /great artists at the expense of younger/merely good artists.

Too many things for me to answer from all sides but here's some use-cases I can see now and without stretching my mind too far into esoterica

- Setting up a LP or a corporation with shareholders agreements to buy apartment block. Cost may be $ 10k+ & admin/accounting may be $10k per annum. Pulling numbers out of a hat here because I don't do RE and it varies greatly from place to place. Let's say $10M with annual revs of $ 1M and annual net of $500K. Use a DAO (basically a chat room with a bank account and smart contracts enforcing the DAO governance rules. Use some tokens to distribute "dividends"/"yield" and cost is much more less.

- Artist mints and sells NFTs. Edit Makers already pointed this out but artist can put a 10% or whatever they want residual on this. Artist gets one-time payment. Artist gets royalty stream. Replaced are agents, distribution agencies etc. Dunfree already pointed out there are artist coops (France, UK, CH has it too fyi) so it's not unique. However, costs drop more from the usual 20 - 55% (agency/coop fees are super variable)

I’m not arguing, but I still don’t really get it. The first only has utility if nobody trusts each other (or are you saying that the accounting function will be completely obviated by an NFT contract?) and the second only has utility if anybody has any interest in what they’re making/selling/playing. And they’ll only know that if the artist gets exposure. This addresses the compensation utility (in a really narrow way... The token might be non fungible, but the image/song/whatever is the same as it was before NFT). I fail to see how it addresses anything else important when it comes to monetizing art, music, etc.

What am I missing or getting wrong, there?
    focus.

I’m not arguing, but I still don’t really get it. The first only has utility if nobody trusts each other (or are you saying that the accounting function will be completely obviated by an NFT contract?) and the second only has utility if anybody has any interest in what they’re making/selling/playing. And they’ll only know that if the artist gets exposure. This addresses the compensation utility (in a really narrow way... The token might be non fungible, but the image/song/whatever is the same as it was before NFT). I fail to see how it addresses anything else important when it comes to monetizing art, music, etc.

What am I missing or getting wrong, there?
    In the first one, you now solve the jurisdiction, trust, contract enforcement cost, contract negotiation issue. Accounting is also solved via automated functions. Bookkeeping will be local but audits will be via multi-signature updated in real time crypto wallet.

EDIT - say you're from the Philippines but live in NorAm and you like an opportunity in PH. The investible world expands.

Re the second one. Dunfree and I already discussed the needs part and we agree it benefits those who make something of value (trite I know); so you and I are aligned in not quite getting that world. But to people who value intangible collectibles these do have value and make them have transaction values. Just because you and I don't understand that world of ascribed value doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The smart contract then makes it possible to have transactions, account for transactions and hive off bits of that transaction to parties down the chain