Page 256 of 640 FirstFirst ... 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 ... LastLast
Results 6,376 to 6,400 of 15989
    Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Yeah. That's a good way to look at it. But you can also learn how they work for a lot less if it matters. One piece of advice, the tax implications can be a real pain in the ass once you start dealing with packs and bunches of NFTs. Definitely recommend keeping detailed notes of any sales and avoiding small value transactions that aren't worth the trouble of tax reporting.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Will do. I live in Canada so things may be easier.

By the way, want to buy an avatar for a grand?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Will do. I live in Canada so things may be easier.

By the way, want to buy an avatar for a grand?
    achshually, it’s just the naming rights to the avatar

https://twitter.com/BITVOLT7/status/...W8CIKOM_Q&s=19

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I think that’s a really fascinating and compelling topic in crypto. But can’t get away from also thinking that for every $1,200 being sent for an objective reason, there’s $120M betting on a trifecta.
    Oh for sure. There's so many scams its unfathomable. Jade DAO with a 4 billion % APY? That's a virtual glory hole surprise if I've ever seen one

Some other use cases I'm investigating with other parties

- indefeasible title for commercial or private RE transactions replacing title insurance, land titles
    - stock transfers replacing clearing houses, stock transfer agents
    - digital rights managements for creatives (video, photo, music) - directly to the creative
    - Management, transfer, destruction. amendment of online profiles. Stalefish talked about this earlier. For gamers, anyone with an online profile etc
    - Tokenization of various assets for risk distribution. Carbon credits.

Literally nobody knows where this will go. Or what will succeed or fail. Intellectually it's very interesting but definitely makes one think outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Oh for sure. There's so many scams its unfathomable. Jade DAO with a 4 billion % APY? That's a virtual glory hole surprise if I've ever seen one

Some other use cases I'm investigating with other parties

- indefeasible title for commercial or private RE transactions replacing title insurance, land titles
    - stock transfers replacing clearing houses, stock transfer agents
    - digital rights managements for creatives (video, photo, music) - directly to the creative
    - Management, transfer, destruction. amendment of online profiles. Stalefish talked about this earlier. For gamers, anyone with an online profile etc
    - Tokenization of various assets for risk distribution. Carbon credits.

Literally nobody knows where this will go. Or what will succeed or fail. Intellectually it's very interesting but definitely makes one think outside the box
    Great post. For everyone worried about all the scams in crypto, you should just follow Mr. Jamie "Bitcoin is a scam with no intrinsic value" Dimon's advice and invest in precious metals.

On a more serious note, I'm excited to see some of these music platforms take off and cut out the rent-seeking middlemen.

https://emanate.live/home

https://audius.co/

On a more serious note, I'm excited to see some of these music platforms take off and cut out the rent-seeking middlemen.

https://emanate.live/home

https://audius.co/
    how is emanate not a rent seeking middleman? You upload music,they distribute to streaming platforms. That’s a middleman.

I've been in Audius a long time. I'd dump it, but I just leave it for posterity sake.

Their team sucks, they can't implement basic user controls, they haven't implemented a direct to artist monetization plan, and their governance and node operation is a joke.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

On the flip side, I just transferred my 2021 HSA contribution from daily driver bank to Fidelity. Wanted to use some of it to jump on stocks today. But the old fashioned transfer takes 1-3 days. So I wait.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    how is emanate not a rent seeking middleman? You upload music,they distribute to streaming platforms. That’s a middleman.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I've been in Audius a long time. I'd dump it, but I just leave it for posterity sake.

Their team sucks, they can't implement basic user controls, they haven't implemented a direct to artist monetization plan, and their governance and node operation is a joke.
    It should be noted that we're still veeeerrrryyy early with respect to all of these platforms and they are not without problems. A good rule of thumb in crypto is to realize that most roadmap dates and even features are pretty dynamic. Almost nothing comes out on time and bugs are pervasive. With that being said, the idea is that under the current paradigm, the middlemen (i.e. FB, Spotify, YouTube, etc.) have all the power, control the algos without transparency, and take over-sized cuts. In the long-run, the hope is that the power will shift back to creators, the algos and internals become public, and creators get much bigger rewards for their efforts. In my estimation, most of this stuff is still 5-10 years out.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    On the flip side, I just transferred my 2021 HSA contribution from daily driver bank to Fidelity. Wanted to use some of it to jump on stocks today. But the old fashioned transfer takes 1-3 days. So I wait.
    It took me 3 full business days for my money to go from one broker to another for a registered plan rebalancing. The brokers have the same bank with the accounts at the same head office branch (Vancouver). That's 3 days of my money completely un-useable and in limbo.

It should be noted that we're still veeeerrrryyy early with respect to all of these platforms and they are not without problems. A good rule of thumb in crypto is to realize that most roadmap dates and even features are pretty dynamic. Almost nothing comes out on time and bugs are pervasive. With that being said, the idea is that under the current paradigm, the middlemen (i.e. FB, Spotify, YouTube, etc.) have all the power, control the algos without transparency, and take over-sized cuts. In the long-run, the hope is that the power will shift back to creators, the algos and internals become public, and creators get much bigger rewards for their efforts. In my estimation, most of this stuff is still 5-10 years out.
    id assumed you meant record labels as as middleman. If YouTube is a middleman, the crypto solution has a way higher hurdle. People use YouTube to consume content because it’s easy and free.

id assumed you meant record labels as as middleman. If YouTube is a middleman, the crypto solution has a way higher hurdle. People use YouTube to consume content because it’s easy and free.
    If the product is free, you're the product.

https://tune.fm/signup/?next=/

Tune.fm is another project hoping to cut out middlemen and get into NFT’s etc

I listen to music on YouTube all the time - 5 seconds of an advertisement before I skip the ad is the cost (plus whatever data youtube gets from me for wanting to hear that song)

My friend pays for youtube premium so he can skip all adds

If the product is free, you're the product.

we are the product here I don’t see you give a shit do I? If you “owned” posts here how would that matter? Fuck 99.99% of the posts here are worthless individually.

got back into some algo for the long hold today, took a flyer on fetch.ai, see what that does over the next 6 mon or so..

we are the product here I don’t see you give a shit do I? If you “owned” posts here how would that matter? Fuck 99.99% of the posts here are worthless individually.
    I've met Todd and been on TGR film shoots. He's a good dude and I'm not scared he's up to anything nefarious. lol

I've met Todd and been on TGR film shoots. He's a good dude and I'm not scared he's up to anything nefarious. lol
    Lol. Way to dodge the point.

all, ski whores are good for is empty pumpd

Did the "lol" not make it clear it was a joke?

Speaking to this use-case forums are not really that worthwhile. However, for social media, YT, video or other like media online profiles are being monetized and quite successfully. This goes not just for influencers, but also for subject matter experts, news outlets, think-tank kind of sites.

In almost all cases, these profiles are subject to the vagaries of an online service providers terms or vagaries like ad policies often without notice. I'd suspect many people with online profiles would like a bit more control

Worth the time:

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Speaking to this use-case forums are not really that worthwhile. However, for social media, YT, video or other like media online profiles are being monetized and quite successfully. This goes not just for influencers, but also for subject matter experts, news outlets, think-tank kind of sites.

In almost all cases, these profiles are subject to the vagaries of an online service providers terms or vagaries like ad policies often without notice. I'd suspect many people with online profiles would like a bit more control
    Yes forums suck at monetization, even the selling portions of them, and even for more niche subjects instagram is a better marketplace. And sure content creators want more control, and to sustain online content creation they need more control. But there’s a tension between that and the thing the internet has been the best thing in human history at content discovery and that discovery includes ads (paid discovery, trillions of $). And nothing about the details of web3 suggests overturning the extreme fat tail distribution the internet has brought. NFT music ain’t gonna bring riches to every hurdygurdy player with a monkey.

Very, um "timely" article.

https://time.com/6124814/music-indus...nkId=142640874

Yes forums suck at monetization, even the selling portions of them, and even for more niche subjects instagram is a better marketplace. And sure content creators want more control, and to sustain online content creation they need more control. But there’s a tension between that and the thing the internet has been the best thing in human history at content discovery and that discovery includes ads (paid discovery, trillions of $). And nothing about the details of web3 suggests overturning the extreme fat tail distribution the internet has brought. NFT music ain’t gonna bring riches to every hurdygurdy player with a monkey.
    Speaking to others about this (tech nerds like myself, creatives etc). Our conclusion is that (duh) the cream will still rise to the top. Talent will find a way. Disruptive is such a cop-out word but so descriptives sometimes; and this is one of the times. So I agree that there will not be a wholesale change and the web 2.0 paradigm as we know it isn't going anywhere soon.

I think smart contracts are the key. The ability to have unamendable, enforceable promises. That will put an entire system of 'things' into play.

There's always going to be a place for intermediaries, marketplaces, and the attendant ads. But what I suspect that will change is a movement in the power and control dynamics. And it won't be a uniform movement for all players over all aspects of the relationships. But I suspect the trend will be back more to individual control and away from the quasi-oligopolies. Even when I started in tech it was always a thought-experiment that the dominant platform will change every 5 years or so. I've got a strong conviction that smart contracts (and its various expressions via crypto tokens, defi, DAOs etc etc) will trigger this change; if it hasn't already)

Bitcoin....who's gotten into it?

I think smart contracts are the key. The ability to have unamendable, enforceable promises. That will put an entire system of 'things' into play.
    But why? This is a solution in search of a problem. Do we really have a large problem with amendable, unenforceable promises that will be solved by this? I get the lather, but for the life of me I can’t see how it moves any needle in a very meaningful way. Useful, perhaps. Game changing? What game, exactly?
    Last edited by Mustonen; 12-03-2021 at 04:51 AM.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Game changing? What game, exactly?
    Anywhere complexity is an advantage? Gotta be some more creative options for profiteering from inside information. Silk Road.

Seems like small use cases are on the other end of the spectrum, but what can NFT's do for co-ops?
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."