Page 383 of 648 FirstFirst ... 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 ... LastLast
Results 9,551 to 9,575 of 16182
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    But see, you win on a technicality, debatable, but his point very much remains….

Which is all still validating the bullshit idea that BTC isn’t 100% about gettin’ yours and has to do with anything high minded. It’s still picking winners and losers, just with a system with no chance of ever doing it with any discernment or in pursuit of any kind of meaningful ideals or really even just any chance of driving the greatest overall wealth.

Bitcoin - fuck everybody else. TM
    Could say that about anything. USD etc

Free time is the greatest most valuable commodity on planet earth imo. The way things have worked out for me I have an abundance of it, and plan on accumulating more as my life goes on.

Maybe a 10% weighting in BTC will help that.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Correct
    So hardly worth warming the planet over.

Building massive nuclear arsenals pointed at each other to have just in case, there's an endeavor worth warming the planet. No folly in that. Makes total sense.

Building massive nuclear arsenals pointed at each other to have just in case, there's an endeavor worth warming the planet. No folly in that. Makes total sense.
    Those were not your options. Eat more shrooms.

Then start building a breeder reactor to power us all for millenia and turn off the ugly death goo.

The point being you can pick a lot of hills to die on. Taking in all human energy endeavors, I'm not convinced mining BTC is that big a deal.

The point being you can pick a lot of hills to die on. Taking in all human energy endeavors, I'm not convinced mining BTC is that big a deal.
    If that was your point you could have just stopped after accepting that BTC is not important. The warming is bad, but in all likelihood the diversion of human resources is actually worse. Even if we don't matter in any moral sense, we're the limiting factor on pretty much any solution to large problems.

This thread is full of cognitive dissonance. Nocoiners have dug in so hard they argue investing in tar sands oil is just great, but green energy BTC is very bad.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    This thread is full of cognitive dissonance. Nocoiners have dug in so hard they argue investing in tar sands oil is just great, but green energy BTC is very bad.

You can be against Bitcoin and tar sands. It's not an either or, but a both and.
    I don't invest in oil companies for similar reasons.
    If you want more people to listen to you, perhaps explore smaller brushes to paint people with.

Stalefish's framing is dishonest too. Bitcoin mining relies much more on obsolete coal and gas, including Alberta tar sands, than it does renewable energy. Bitcoin miners in Texas for example claimed they would spur not only a green energy revolution but also lower electric bills for consumers.

In realty the 6GW consumed by bitcoin miners in Texas contributes to the construction of more fossil fuel plants because of the need for more energy reserves, resulting in higher electric bills for consumers. Electric rates in Texas recently surged over 70%.

Texas projects crypto mining will consume 16GW or 25% of Texas' power grid by 2026. Bitcoin proponents say most of the power used for mining in the future will be generated via renewables, in spite of the fact bitcoin relies more on fossil fuels today than it did in the past.

Bitcoin....who's gotten into it?

Who argued that? Be specific.

Lulz re: “green energy BTC.” As if BTC provides green energy rather than just act as a leech on whatever old energy source is cheapest and available.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Stalefish's framing is dishonest too. Bitcoin mining relies much more on obsolete coal and gas, including Alberta tar sands, than it does renewable energy. Bitcoin miners in Texas for example claimed they would spur not only a green energy revolution but also lower electric bills for consumers.
    Not to mention the false equivalence being drawn between an energy source and an energy consumer. BTC isn’t a part of our energy infrastructure, you nincompoop.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Close. Only off by a factor of two!
    Woah....you're 160?

So argueing about bitcoin is the key to eternal life?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Woah....you're 160?

So argueing about bitcoin is the key to eternal life?
    Yep, started arguing about Bitcoin 90 years ago and still going strong.

You don’t understand cognitive dissonance either.

how’s bitcoin freedom working out in El Salvador?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Lulz re: “green energy BTC.” As if BTC provides green energy rather than just act as a leech on whatever old energy source is cheapest and available.

Not to mention the false equivalence being drawn between an energy source and an energy consumer. BTC isn’t a part of our energy infrastructure, you nincompoop.
    What confuses me is how people can use crypto to offer bounties on Russian equipment and soldiers in a war zone, but I never hear about the great successes of the environmental crypto tycoons selflessly replacing mining difficulty with rewards for net green energy production.

These are obviously smart people who care deeply for the planet and their fellow humans. Why do they want to stop at universal monetary equality and lambos when they could give us each a Lucid and 40-year solar arrays? It's as if they don't think big enough. Or something.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

haha buy my shitcoin bro!

seems like a big ponzi scheme to me, count me with the skeptics.

https://web3isgoinggreat.com/

US Department of Justice Calls For More International Cooperation, Coordination on Crypto Law Enforcement

Information sharing and the harmonization of anti-money laundering and know-your-customer rules were also proposed in the DOJ report, which was developed in conjunction with other US agencies in the wake of the Biden White House's executive order on crypto. That EO was released in March. The report itself was drafted in response to that executive order. In the introduction, US Attorney General Merrick Garland wrote that "the growing use of digital assets in the global financial system has profound implications for investors, consumers, and businesses and increases the risk of crimes such as money laundering, ransomware, terrorist financing, fraud and theft, and sanctions evasion."

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/linke...aw-enforcement

Bad for ransomware ops (and as that is a huge usecase, bad for crypto values), good for everyone else (except speculators).

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    6GW consumed by bitcoin miners in Texas
    That's fucking bonkers

Texas projects crypto mining will consume 16GW or 25% of Texas' power grid by 2026.
    That is beyond insane. That is a massive threat to energy security. That alone could get it regulated (probably consumption above X gets hefty extra fees) although there would be resistance to compliance and enforcement would be fraught (similar to how surveillance of energy consumption for pot growops was done).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    You don’t understand cognitive dissonance either.

how’s bitcoin freedom working out in El Salvador?
    https://twitter.com/DavidZell_/statu...43742940090368

did they mention how many people the bitcoin dictator has locked up?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A709FDDE-E067-4B3D-A28D-EA3EC14FE976.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	418316

^^ Huh. Certainly could be interesting?

That’s freedom, right fuckers?

theres hope for byates and mtm though - sex robots are about to hit the market

Been impressive to see BTC hold the 30k line.

Been impressive to see BTC hold the 30k line.
    My hunch, and it is just a hunch, is that enough people convinced themselves that there would be a floor at $30k, and it’s become self fulfilling.