Page 226 of 640 FirstFirst ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,650 of 15983
    Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    You're right dude. The makers of some of the most all time games including Call of Duty and Guitar Hero are total fucking scammers. Even Magic Johnson is in on it. Better get back to your cabin with no electricity.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    That's such a great answer! Thank You!

I guess I'll have to find someone who knows what they are talking about to explain to me how this video game money pyramid works. Never spent any time playing video games so I didn't realize there was money in long term game investment.

Can you tell me who made money playing Guitar hero? Like actual IRL gamers who cashed in.

I know Wynn is involved in this so some sort of gamble is expected.

Try to give me a real answer, please.

ps This isn't a personal attack, just looking for answers without spending hours searching.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

I guess I'll have to find someone who knows what they are talking about to explain to me how this video game money pyramid works. Never spent any time playing video games so I didn't realize there was money in long term game investment.

Can you tell me who made money playing Guitar hero? Like actual IRL gamers who cashed in.

ps This isn't a personal attack, just looking for answers without spending hours searching.
    Don't play the victim here after calling my hobby a scam. I told you already. Gaming is a 200 billion dollar industry and growing rapidly. I never played guitar hero more than a very small amount, so I don't know who made money playing. But play to earn is the growing trend in gaming.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/venture...able-nfts/amp/

The same, buy it upon release and sell it to the general public at a pumped up price is going on right now with sneakers (Nike, etc.), that Supreme clothing/lifestyle brand (maybe not still as hot but was right before the pandemic), Tony Hawk skateboard with his blood in it, etc. This Blankos Block Party thing just seems like another avenue for the same set-up.

Stalefish gave an arena in which people are making really high returns right now. It is tangential to crypto. If you want to try it, go ahead. If you don't, because it seems silly, mania-ish (tulips, beanie babies, yeezy sneakers) don't get involved. It is not something I want to get into, because I feel like I don't have enough info besides what someone is telling me, and that is beyond my risk/reward comfort level. I am not going to hold it against people who are making money with it though. Nor will I be surprised if or when that market bubble seems to pop.
    Last edited by DLD in UT; 08-28-2021 at 07:38 AM.

NFT could be thought of as electronic art, correct? Buy something cool and hope it appreciates. Cool thing about NFTs is the electronic signature. But, I bet someone figures out how to forge one and scam, so eine in the future (just like other art)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    NFT could be thought of as electronic art, correct? Buy something cool and hope it appreciates. Cool thing about NFTs is the electronic signature. But, I bet someone figures out how to forge one and scam, so eine in the future (just like other art)

They won’t be able to scam any true believers who put in the requisite 1,000+ hours to understand it.

Bummer for the other suckers, though.
    focus.

So you conveniently left out an explanation about how GS trading against its own customers jives with them caring about their clients' wealth.

Same for which major asset class has outperformed BTC over the last decade.
    You should maybe invest just a few hours in understanding the differences in various banking systems. It’s not just the financial institution industry vs. bitcoin. There’s a little bit more to it than that.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    i think it's neat how people thing btc and the entire space is a scam, while others see our current debt and credit based system as a sham creating inequality,
    Can you articulate what that has to do with BTC or its potential? I bet you can’t. Because it has fuck all to do with financing a car or buying groceries with a credit card.

Ok, how about the much more recent Wells Fargo checking account scandal? Or are they exempt too?

The one where no customer lost any money? Is that the one you’re referring to?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post

Except it’s not just like art because of all the cool NFT tech “solving” problems the art world doesn’t consider problems.

99% of art ain’t worth shit.

Ok, how about the much more recent Wells Fargo checking account scandal? Or are they exempt too?

Sorry, dude, you are (still) completely missing the point I made. I'm not arguing against the fact that the banks have fucked people eight ways from Sunday and will do so again at some point. I was simply pointing out that good private wealth guys and their institutions do not put their clients into BTC because there is no defensible framework for it as a reliable store of value or investment. The fact that these PWM people work for banks that have defrauded people is irrelevant--it's like I pointed out that welfare checks are valuable to poor people and you respond by talking about how the government has killed people with atomic bombs. Even though it's the same large institution behind both actions the two things have nothing to do with each other.

I really don't care about crypto (except that my brother bought a few BTC way back when and I've been trying to convince him to take the money and run), but I'm perplexed at how you shill for BTC and ignore anything that doesn't align with what you want to believe. I have certain beliefs about money/investing but if someone questions those beliefs I don't respond as you do to critiques of BTC. I don't get it--it's more religious and dogmatic for you than a well-reasoned approach.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Sorry, dude, you are (still) completely missing the point I made. I'm not arguing against the fact that the banks have fucked people eight ways from Sunday and will do so again at some point. I was simply pointing out that good private wealth guys and their institutions do not put their clients into BTC because there is no defensible framework for it as a reliable store of value or investment. The fact that these PWM people work for banks that have defrauded people is irrelevant--it's like I pointed out that welfare checks are valuable to poor people and you respond by talking about how the government has killed people with atomic bombs. Even though it's the same large institution behind both actions the two things have nothing to do with each other.

I really don't care about crypto (except that my brother bought a few BTC way back when and I've been trying to convince him to take the money and run), but I'm perplexed at how you shill for BTC and ignore anything that doesn't align with what you want to believe. I have certain beliefs about money/investing but if someone questions those beliefs I don't respond as you do to critiques of BTC. I don't get it--it's more religious and dogmatic for you than a well-reasoned approach.
    So maybe just go look at some tits in the padded room special thread??? If you don't give a shit about crypto why do you feel the need to come in here and talk shit about it? Do you think you're doing the Lord's work or something? Or saving us adults from ourselves? I don't go into the mountain bike thread and tell them they are fucking up trails, scaring horses, and hikers. I don't go into the car thread and tell them that the greenhouse gases they emit are ruining ski season. The crypto bashing brigade is not doing anything except sounding like grumpy ass old men.

See, that's what I was talking about. If I post about something and someone critiques it doesn't hurt my feelings, but you have this evangelical thing going on with BTC. Fucking weird. If I post about Keynesian monetary policy and you disagree I don't ask why you have to post and talk shit about the monetary policy I believe in, and then say that you just sound like an ignorant millennial. Seriously, get outside of yourself for half a second and think about how this is fucked up on many, many levels. What in the actual fuck...way too defensive for this to make sense.
    [quote][//quote]

Thought this lyric is relevant to the thread.

From BUSDRIVER

Kids, if you want to piss off your parents
    Show interest in the arts
    Kids, if you really want to piss off your parents
    Buy real estate
    In an imaginary place
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Why the thesis espoused by the likes of Cathie Wood and Jack Dorsey that crypto-currency will spur a renewables revolution is so misguided. Quite the opposite: Crypto-mining frees the most stranded of fossil-fuel assets...

Stronghold Digital gets hefty state credits for burning waste coal, exploiting a Pennsylvania law deeming this to be somehow environmentally friendly.

Stronghold Digital Mining Inc. is a cryptocurrency producer with a twist, one that features prominently in their recent IPO filing. Aware that Bitcoin has an ESG problem because of all the coal burned to produce it, Stronghold is buying its own power plants which … burn coal. Not just any coal; waste coal. Which is, in fact, worse than coal.

It’s “not economic” to burn waste coal without the state’s credits. In return, Pennsylvanians get dubious benefits. That subsidy implies $16 per ton of waste coal burned, about half the estimated cost of just removing the refuse. So it looks like a bargain — but only if you ignore the emissions. At a notional $50 carbon fee, each ton of waste coal generates another $65 of cost to the environment.

Of course, there’s an arbitrage of politics and perception to exploit here, whereby local, tangible pollution takes precedence over the universal, abstract — but nonetheless real — kind. The upshot is that while the windfalls will be privatized, it isn’t just Pennsylvanians subsidizing them. Ultimately, we all are.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-digital-s-ipo

I was simply pointing out that good private wealth guys and their institutions do not put their clients into BTC because there is no defensible framework for it as a reliable store of value or investment.
    Except that you absolutely refuse to accept reality. BTC was the best performing major asset class of the last decade, by far. Simply buying and holding Bitcoin beat the shit out of almost every portfolio some PWM could come up with for their beloved clients.

And people who invested in Dutch tulips in the 18th century at a certain point in time could have made the same case. That doesn't change the fundamentals (and BTW, I assume all the people who lost money buying into BTC between Feb and May of this year, even after the recent run-up, can't take much comfort from how its value has inflated over the past ten years). It's just as likely that it will drop 50% (again) as that it will appreciate, which is why there is no defensible framework for putting clients into it. But you don't get this--which is OK, it's just strange how emotionally invested you are in this thing.
    [quote][//quote]

And people who invested in Dutch tulips in the 18th century at a certain point in time could have made the same case. That doesn't change the fundamentals (and BTW, I assume all the people who lost money buying into BTC between Feb and May of this year, even after the recent run-up, can't take much comfort from how its value has inflated over the past ten years). It's just as likely that it will drop 50% (again) as that it will appreciate, which is why there is no defensible framework for putting clients into it. But you don't get this--which is OK, it's just strange how emotionally invested you are in this thing.
    It's strange how emotionally invested you are. At least I have skin in the game.

The tulips comparison is so tired, dude. And anyone who bought the top and dollar cost averaged down is probably looking pretty good right now. Fact is, long-term BTC price trend is up and to the right.

Stalefish kinda has a point on the tulips comparison.... crypto skeptics get obsessed with something they don't believe in. There are many things I don't believe in, but I rarely talk about them.

I do believe in crypto. The problem with BTC's long-term price trending up and to the right is bitcoiners want to argue as if the trend doesn't exist when it comes to pollution, arguing its impact is negligible, and then at the same time imply the growth curve for next decade will look the same as the previous decade.

If the price trend continues as it has in the past then Bitcoin emissions alone would most likely push global warming above 2°C (3.6°F).

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Stalefish kinda has a point on the tulips comparison.... crypto skeptics get obsessed with something they don't believe in. There are many things I don't believe in, but I rarely talk about them.

I do believe in crypto. The problem with BTC's long-term price trending up and to the right is bitcoiners want to argue as if the trend doesn't exist when it comes to pollution, arguing its impact is negligible, and then at the same time imply the growth curve for next decade will look the same as the previous decade.

If the price trend continues as it has in the past then Bitcoin emissions alone would most likely push global warming above 2°C.
    Even though I obviously disagree with some of your conclusions, I do appreciate that it seems you've done at least a moderate amount of research.

Lots of people who don’t believe in god talk about religion. Crypto is the same thing. Unlike religion where I can see it’s appeal and how it works, I don’t get crypto love.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Lots of people who don’t believe in god talk about religion. Crypto is the same thing. Unlike religion where I can see it’s appeal and how it works, I don’t get crypto love.
    It's no so much that I love crypto. It's more a disdain for a system (shit-stem, thanks Peter Tosh) that has largely stacked the odds against millennials and zoomers. Crypto is a once in a lifetime asymmetrical hedge against that system.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    My use of the word 'believe' was not intended as an article of faith in the abstract sense involving emotions like love or hate. Instead it's the belief that crypto is a real phenomena, and not a passing mania.

Even if Bitcoin disappeared tomorrow, the crypto revolution would still continue. In a lot of ways it has already happened. Yesterday's radical monetary ideas are being turned out and consumed like potato chips today.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

More for you. I think this gives a good idea of just how serious the blockchain gaming market is.

https://blog.blankos.com/we-are-mythical-matt-nutt

My use of the word 'believe' was not intended as an article of faith in the abstract sense involving emotions like love or hate. Instead it's the belief that crypto is a real phenomena, and not a passing mania
    Crypto as a technology will continue, so will crypto as a monetary religion

converted some btc into this. i'll hold btc over the long term, but i also realize its a new asset class that could all but go away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original_d2f3bc59-6dbd-4a1a-b33d-72598218ce5f_PXL_20210827_015934473.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	383858

also, i think 90% of all coins are already mined. all this esg mining talk, wouldn't it be great if they stopped mining, more scarcity.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    converted some btc into this. i'll hold btc over the long term, but i also realize its a new asset class that could all but go away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original_d2f3bc59-6dbd-4a1a-b33d-72598218ce5f_PXL_20210827_015934473.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	383858

also, i think 90% of all coins are already mined. all this esg mining talk, wouldn't it be great if they stopped mining, more scarcity.
    Nice!

Space mining discussion is back a few hundred pages in the thread.

What comes first? Quantum computing that breaks sha-256 or space mining?

yeah i could see quantum computing definitely being a thing in the future. i've read a fair bit on it. interesting stuff.