Page 140 of 649 FirstFirst ... 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 16214
    Carbon tax on bitcoin or anyone mining bitcoin

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    BTC taking a bite out of gold ?
    My gold mining friends laugh at your tangible btc wealth.

Gold Price Today usd per Ounce
    Current Price $1,717.44
    Today High $1,720.97
    Today Low $1,680.75
    Today Change $+33.72 (2.00%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Carbon tax on bitcoin or anyone mining bitcoin
    Yes, on dirty dirty sources! Alternatively, credits for promoting green energy. I have some high hope for Biden green new deal. But even now there are some nice credits (state and federal) for installing solar...I plan to put a beefy array on my south facing roof.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

BTC taking a bite out of gold ?
    We'll see. Liquidity will paint the most accurate picture, right? Here's the thing, and I thank Elon I don't sound like a sci fi kook, but what is just on the other side of Mars, mmmm? Yes, the asteroid belt. All the raw resources we will ever need in this solar system. I'm wondering what will be more efficient, basing off Mars or the moon?

But I digress, pretty shiny gold is doomed as a scarce asset. Splat I hope your panning buddies are converting to btc, that would be so smart!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    Yes, on dirty dirty sources! Alternatively, credits for promoting green energy. I have some high hope for Biden green new deal. But even now there are some nice credits (state and federal) for installing solar...I plan to put a beefy array on my south facing roof.
    Would a standard residential sized rooftop solar array be enough to run a modest mining setup? If you could run an off-grid setup that doesn't burden the grid and is sorta "green" like that, seems that would be just the ticket!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Would a standard residential sized rooftop solar array be enough to run a modest mining setup? If you could run an off-grid setup that doesn't burden the grid and is sorta "green" like that, seems that would be just the ticket!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    "burden the grid" is a phrase that signals to me an uniformed point of view. Please do more research if you really care about the topic. For instance, consider a nuclear plant - you can't just spin that puppy up and down based on demand. Btc mining can maintain a threshold and can make a plant economically viable.

Btc can drive green energy and get us over economic viability watermark. Btc mining can be the stimulus that tips us over into green energy. I don't know why that is so hard for people to see. It is obvious if you take five minutes to study it.

But maybe you are just wanting no one to use any energy ever? You do understand that ALL of business, ALL of the economy is built on energy use. The direct relationship between BTC and the energy of the universe is one of its many significant characteristics.

Please read, please learn. I'm really no ambassador and there are so many people explaining this to those who will listen.

I currently consume a steady 1.5kw mining ethereum. That alone justifies a solar array, but really I can use ALL the energy I can get my hands on. Free heat at 10k elevation is a bonus.
    Henry David Thoreau

crypto mining as a carrot to tip us over into green energy? Instead of say climate change or rising ocean levels?

I get that society responds quicker to economic carrots - and maybe hoping society will want green energy for better reasons is wishful thinking - but I laugh at the moral high ground that gets ponied out to justify crypto minings current energy requirements.

If green energy is so great then lets just make it happen - we shouldn't need crypto to force us there. And even if at some point in the future crypto mining is all done on renewable energy (yay!) that does zero to justify its current energy use.

I'm not anti crypto (I own). I'm not anti energy (wtf does that even mean as a an argument) - but just because I'm typing this on a compute plugged into the wall doesn't mean I support burning dirty coal or damming every river.

Tell us about the good things that crypto is providing. Don't put lipstick on its energy hogging requirements and tell us pretty theories about the future.

Hey I like everything you wrote there.

I spent a 15 year career in environmental - I worked in large part for coal fired power plants helping them comply with the clean air act. I submitted quarterly reports to the epa that included CO2 emissions.

My mother is really old and her career was with Exxon. There is no way you will pry those dividends from her.

I don't know what my point is here. I want green energy and I don't pretend to know how best to get there. Or that I actually have any say in the matter. I really don't think I am the right person to engage in the politics of it. I know I intend to build out solar as fast and as much as I can and hopefully others feel the same way.

But you can't stop btc, nor can India....hahahaha.
    Henry David Thoreau

It really does sound like someone saying, “All these mass shootings are going to force us to increase our police force and make us safer!”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Thanks for the response Shera. You are the most reasonable BTC advocate I've conversed with - most are more devoted and fervid than a Scientologist. "Don't you dare say anything bad about bitcoin!!"

I'm daydreaming about a solar farm at northern lattitudes where the sun is out 24hours a day for 5 months of the year - plus you can have a cold cellar with ice blocks in it (that you harvest from any water source this time of year) that will keep the machines cool. Just need Elon's starlink satellite for internet hookup. Land is cheap. No mining in the winter but can run off solar for almost half the year.

Just have the exact same set up in the southern hemisphere for the other half of the year (somewhere with ice like southern Chile)

"burden the grid" is a phrase that signals to me an uniformed point of view. Please do more research if you really care about the topic. For instance, consider a nuclear plant - you can't just spin that puppy up and down based on demand. Btc mining can maintain a threshold and can make a plant economically viable.

Btc can drive green energy and get us over economic viability watermark. Btc mining can be the stimulus that tips us over into green energy. I don't know why that is so hard for people to see. It is obvious if you take five minutes to study it.

But maybe you are just wanting no one to use any energy ever? You do understand that ALL of business, ALL of the economy is built on energy use. The direct relationship between BTC and the energy of the universe is one of its many significant characteristics.

Please read, please learn. I'm really no ambassador and there are so many people explaining this to those who will listen.

I currently consume a steady 1.5kw mining ethereum. That alone justifies a solar array, but really I can use ALL the energy I can get my hands on. Free heat at 10k elevation is a bonus.
    Miners flock to the cheapest power...coal..see china....alternative energy sources are far too expensive and nowhere near ubiquitous.

Your diatribe is exactly what every bitcoin proponent wants you to think. It's simply bs. Power consumption is it's biggest problem.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Crypto mining is like EV’s using public roads without paying use taxes like gasoline vehicles. I don’t think it’s a fair trade.

If we just buy enough iphones then it will force Apple to stop using exploited workers in China.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    If we just buy enough iphones then it will force Apple to stop using exploited workers in China.
    Hah.

No wait though, if energy consumption is taxed according to its ultimate costs in re environmental impact, the cost to mine Bitcoin goes up. And then the value goes up too. And it’s MORE SECURE. HOOOOOOODL!!!! E’erbuddy gon’ get rich!!!!
    focus.

We'll see. Liquidity will paint the most accurate picture, right? Here's the thing, and I thank Elon I don't sound like a sci fi kook, but what is just on the other side of Mars, mmmm? Yes, the asteroid belt. All the raw resources we will ever need in this solar system. I'm wondering what will be more efficient, basing off Mars or the moon?

But I digress, pretty shiny gold is doomed as a scarce asset. Splat I hope your panning buddies are converting to btc, that would be so smart!
    They hit 800,000 ounces so far. They really aren't sweating what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    They hit 800,000 ounces so far. They really aren't sweating what to do with it.
    When you actually know the numbers of the proven reserves of some of these big projects, one's eyes can start to roll a bit.

Been looking at the yield farming/mining defi stuff lately. Thinking about it.

Wrong genre. It's fantasy kook now because, and this is not a joke, Elon and his CFO now identify as Technoking of Tesla and Master of Coin:

"Effective as of March 15, 2021, the titles of Elon Musk and Zach Kirkhorn have changed to Technoking of Tesla and Master of Coin, respectively. "

Elon is officially the Sausage King of Chicago.... errr, meme lord of the realm. BTC will soon be mined by the Dwarves of Middle Earth as part of a top-secret asteroid mining monopoly. It's all very hush hush.

The SEC filing: https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives...k_20210315.htm

That might be the greatest troll ever.

Have they patented a system for mining rocket fuel in the belt yet? Until then: don't sell the Razorback!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Miners flock to the cheapest power...coal..see china....alternative energy sources are far too expensive and nowhere near ubiquitous.

Your diatribe is exactly what every bitcoin proponent wants you to think. It's simply bs. Power consumption is it's biggest problem.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Power consumption is its biggest problem? Well, apart from money laundering, exchange scams (a business model in itself), ransomware, ponzification of currency/futures/markets etc..

Of course ... BTC could be seen as features that are saving society.

For example, without ransomware we wouldn't have as many eyeballs on code making sure that Uncle Sam isn't surreptitiously spying on us and infringing our rights! The bad that BTC brings enables a very small, important and vital GOOD.

Oh god. I just defended BTC sort of. Pretty sure that is not the only, or best, way to those ends.

Oh yes, are we talking about the economics of electronic waste? 150 grams for every BTC transaction - apparently. So yes, you can mine ETH and heat your home, but only for another 4 years and then you will need new heaters (if the price doesn't fall).

(Actually, I think there is a valid argument in favor of Bitcoin as a necessary subversive that keeps governments away from absolute power. There has to be a way to fund WIKILEAKS*, and other sensitive targets that require pseudo-anonymous funding. The world is better with a Bitcoin-like option --not necessarily BTC of course--and a world without a pseudo-anonymous payment means isn't better per-se. Although BTC can be used to fund terrorist states, it also can be used within those states by the resistance to fund the good that oppositions wish to do.

As per an India ban, it will fail if you ask me and any ban is counter productive. Carbon Tax the fuck out of it to raise funds for fixing the CO2 levels and funnel those funds to green projects that need it.)

*not an endorsement.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Bitcoin has been on the mouth of the world for so long ,but searching through YouTube today ,I discovered that most people has taken the word Bitcoin to another level by actually singing about Bitcoin , it's actually good so I decided to share it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpsfkkSpBIQ

Bitcoin is...”necessary”?

What are you smoking.
    Decisions Decisions

Well, apart from money laundering, exchange scams (a business model in itself), ransomware, ponzification of currency/futures/markets

As per an India ban, it will fail if you ask me and any ban is counter productive. Carbon Tax the fuck out of it to raise funds for fixing the CO2 levels and funnel those funds to green projects that need it.
    Name me one form of monetary exchange that hasn't been used for all those nefarious uses?

How is India's banning going to fail if bitcoin is going to zero?

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    Name me one form of monetary exchange that hasn't been used for all those nefarious uses?
    That’s kind of the point.

Bitcoin Bros who try to claim it solves all these problems are delusional.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

It sure is appreciating.

Can anyone justify using it as a currency to buy things when it’ll be doubled in 4 months? Oh right you bitcoin cultists changed it from a currency to an asset. An asset based upon its value as a currency and nothing else (which makes it not an asset) Wait isnt that a self defeating circle of bullshit.

Nevermind, HODL. Going to the moon because its neither an effective currency nor an actual asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    It sure is appreciating.

Can anyone justify using it as a currency to buy things when it’ll be doubled in 4 months? Oh right you bitcoin cultists changed it from a currency to an asset. An asset based upon its value as a currency and nothing else (which makes it not an asset) Wait isnt that a self defeating circle of bullshit.

Nevermind, HODL. Going to the moon because its neither an effective currency nor an actual asset.