Page 167 of 640 FirstFirst ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 15998
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    lol. He’s too busy getting high and laid to have a fucking clue or care, fool. Tesla bought $1.4 billion, banked profit from the pump, musk got $11 billion in stock from that profit, he dumped Bitcoin.
    Was this the best response you could come up with?

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    https://bitcoinmagazine.com/.amp/cul...mpression=true

CHECK YOUR FINANCIAL PRIVILEGE

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    For whatever reason you seem to be emotionally attached to something that is nothing more than currency or an investment. Take it or leave it but IMO that should set off some warning bells.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    For whatever reason you seem to be emotionally attached to something that is nothing more than currency or an investment. Take it or leave it but IMO that should set off some warning bells.
    Actually that was a powerful article. Thanks for that stalefish

Not talking about the article, more the sentiment.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I got a chuckle out of this line...

Prominent Ivy League economist Jeffrey Sachs has said that Bitcoin offers “nothing of social value,”

Ha. As if the majority of investment firms and hedge funds provide any social value whatsoever. More often than not they cause more harm to real companies and workers than anything.

Having said that, just like gambling on sports, your financial decisions should be devoid of emotion or you'll get burned eventually.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Solid read reflecting the true reality for the developing world. The non-rich in Kenya and much of Africa have been empowered by M-pesa over the last 15 years. Hopefully crypto+blockchain will empower and help equalize things further.

After a decade of dragging my feet on Bitcoin, I finally dipped a toe into crypto yesterday. Total bandwagon, johnny-come-lately move, but it's now or never right???

$300 split between BTC, ETC, ETH and DOGE and the first 24 hours have been fun to watch.

Jeffrey Sachs just says that because no one has paid him to say crypto’s great yet.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Solid read reflecting the true reality for the developing world. The non-rich in Kenya and much of Africa have been empowered by M-pesa over the last 15 years. Hopefully crypto+blockchain will empower and help equalize things further.
    If anyone hasn't heard of M-pesa, it's a Fintech that uses SIM cards in mobile phones for proof-of-transaction banking via SMS with your phone number acting as your 'wallet' or 'account.'

As with M-pesa, there's convergence between DeFi and traditional banking in developed countries too. For example, decentralized lender Aave is adopting KYC (know your client) and anti-money laundering guidelines. Doctrinaire crypto folks don't like it because it's not strictly decentralized but that's what it takes if you want to do payments and interact with the real world in regulated countries.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/defi-...r-institutions

Okay, I am not trying to be a Pure Gravity troll, I understand the potential utility of block chain tech. But there are so many "coins" why would or should we hitch our wagons to BitCoin and not one of a thousand others that are much less energy intensive. It kind of feels like tulip mania.

I remember running across M-pesa in Kenya 10-12 years ago and thinking it was sort of mind blowing they had this in Kenya but we didn’t have anything comparable in NA.

Musk just basically said Bitcoin unfeasible to use it in a climate friendly way so is abandoning taking it as payment.

Does quantum computing solve this issue?

Solid read reflecting the true reality for the developing world.
    my experience is old, but plenty of the developing world in Asia or s. America had access to dollars or gold(India is the single largest gold market, you could buy or sell it in.any half large community) or other hard(Er) currency. There’s advantages to digital as mobile spreads, but the coinbro narrative that there was no choice ain’t true.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    I remember running across M-pesa in Kenya 10-12 years ago and thinking it was sort of mind blowing they had this in Kenya but we didn’t have anything comparable in NA.

Musk just basically said Bitcoin unfeasible to use it in a climate friendly way so is abandoning taking it as payment.

Does quantum computing solve this issue?
    Why is this an issue that needs to be solved? There are countless other cryptos that use less energy.

I've read Elon's tweet several times now and maybe I've got rose colored glasses but I like what he said. He specifically targeted coal. If we could just shut down all the coal plants in the usa, then electric cars and bitcoin miners could start getting on the right side of things. Then hit it green energy from the other side with massive solar/wind farms with large scale storage like what they did in Australia and hydro and nuclear, and let oil and gas shrink in a more organic way because is it so political here.

Anyway, I see a path and Elon is smarter then me.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    x
    Hahaha, you posted that as I was typing...anyway, I am very happy to see some civilized conversation here.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Yes to civilized conversation. No to blind devotion (not targeting this towards you Shera).

Elon is smart but also a troll. With a massive level of influence.

Interesting that a lot of people are confused - “he put 1.5B in! How can he then criticize it?!”

What is 1.5B to him? Seriously - look at the bigger picture. That’s like a millionaire putting $10,000 into doge and then saying “ha I’m just playin this actually is a stupid coin”

If you missed that point you should evaluate if you’re paying enough attention to what is driving your confidence - that one was a gimme.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Yes to civilized conversation. No to blind devotion (not targeting this towards you Shera).

Elon is smart but also a troll. With a massive level of influence.

Interesting that a lot of people are confused - “he put 1.5B in! How can he then criticize it?!”

What is 1.5B to him? Seriously - look at the bigger picture. That’s like a millionaire putting $10,000 into doge and then saying “ha I’m just playin this actually is a stupid coin”

If you missed that point you should evaluate if you’re paying enough attention to what is driving your confidence - that one was a gimme.
    you seem to be confused. Elon didn’t put money in. Tesla did. Then Tesla made money on BTC. And then Elon made lots of money from his Tesla compensation package. The millionaires company put in $10 grand, then the millionaire got $100 grand from the company.

Good point. I was wrong about where the investment $ came from.

He’s still trolling us all - for his benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    my experience is old, but plenty of the developing world in Asia or s. America had access to dollars or gold(India is the single largest gold market, you could buy or sell it in.any half large community) or other hard(Er) currency. There’s advantages to digital as mobile spreads, but the coinbro narrative that there was no choice ain’t true.
    I'm a novice on crpyto, but I think: more options that are essentially universal = better and crypto/digital currency brings more control into the user, at any economic level, to interact and engage with the larger digital and/or global economy. The accessibility of gold, as an alternative to rupee in India is benefit, but you've got a jump through a few hoops to turn that asset into a usable currency for engagement beyond your community/region/country. If the world continues to globalize, digitize and conform to shared standards, the developing world shouldn't be left behind.

I'm a novice on crpyto, but I think: more options that are essentially universal = better and crypto/digital currency brings more control into the user, at any economic level, to interact and engage with the larger digital and/or global economy. The accessibility of gold, as an alternative to rupee in India is benefit, but you've got a jump through a few hoops to turn that asset into a usable currency for engagement beyond your community/region/country. If the world continues to globalize, digitize and conform to shared standards, the developing world shouldn't be left behind.
    You are thinking straight! Keep reading and studying. Read the white paper, don't dismiss btc out of hand, it is utterly important. It keeps the rest of the community "honest" and it is the bar to rise above. Simultaneously, engage intellectually with all the exciting things that are happening the space. I am so infatuated with chainlink, giddy, hahaha.

If you are investing, please start slow, don't let fomo wreck you. I started with what I called "the $100 plan" in 2018 with alts and they all lost 95%, what a joke. I also spent time and money on mining hardware and finally hit pay dirt with bitcoin mining last year and eth this year. I first purchased a small amount of bitcoin early in 2017 and now, 4 years later, finally I've built up a series of real successes. I'm still not rich, but I'm doing ok and I have a level of confidence and maturity.

So take it slow! Likely you will not get rich this cycle, but you can gain a foothold. It's still early days.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    You are thinking straight! Keep reading and studying. Read the white paper, don't dismiss btc out of hand, it is utterly important. It keeps the rest of the community "honest" and it is the bar to rise above. Simultaneously, engage intellectually with all the exciting things that are happening the space. I am so infatuated with chainlink, giddy, hahaha.

If you are investing, please start slow, don't let fomo wreck you. I started with what I called "the $100 plan" in 2018 with alts and they all lost 95%, what a joke. I also spent time and money on mining hardware and finally hit pay dirt with bitcoin mining last year and eth this year. I first purchased a small amount of bitcoin in 2017 and now, 4 years later, finally I've built up a series of real successes. I'm still not rich, but I'm doing ok and I have a level of confidence and maturity.

So take it slow! Likely you will not get rich this cycle, but you can gain a foothold. It's still early days.
    Interesting POV.

Here is the thing, most folks posting here are into Crypto because they want to increase their personal wealth and if as a by product some folks in the 3rd world manage to benefit that is a nice outcome. That said all this with BTC and ETH the rest of Crypto is speculation in hopes of making a killing. Good luck to you all but spare me the good of society song and dance. ETA *** Not directed specifically at you ***

Same reason I am in the stock market, to increase my personal wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Interesting POV.

Here is the thing, most folks posting here are into Crypto because they want to increase their personal wealth and if as a by product some folks in the 3rd world manage to benefit that is a nice outcome. That said all this with BTC and ETH the rest of Crypto is speculation in hopes of making a killing. Good luck to you all but spare me the good of society song and dance.

Same reason I am in the stock market, to increase my personal wealth.
    Even in the first world we have serious problems with the rich getting richer. The wealthy have built such a powerful moat and crypto is one way to breach it. In the USA, we have this ludicrous red vs blue situation, a successful redirect of the real battle between the haves and the have nots. Sorry to get political, but many people in crypto want to win this fight and realize the american dream and the promise written into the constitution. In that matter we are on the same side as all the "brown" people everywhere here and abroad. You have been played if you think otherwise.

Sorry for rant, but there it is.
    Henry David Thoreau

All the more reason then to move away from Proof-of-Work crypto like bitcoin and adopt efficient crypto technology instead. Because poor air quality largely from fossil fuels is responsible for 1-in-5 infant deaths in sub‑Saharan Africa and is also, one of, if not the leading cause of life years lost in adults.

You yourself said energy demand is increasing so "deal with it." As long as demand is increasing faster than renewables are being brought online then "getting on the right side of things" is a nonstarter unless we also find ways to do more with less, not more with more.

Are you trying to claim that bitcoin mining is causing infant deaths in Africa? jeebus
    Henry David Thoreau

Are you unaware of the enormous harm caused by air pollution in third world countries? The poor air quality in China where most of the world's bitcoin mining takes place?

It would be hyperbole to blame all of that on bitcoin but you're acting as if it doesn't matter.