Page 188 of 650 FirstFirst ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 16240
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    El Salvador does not have its own currency, it uses the USD, so a country with a GDP smaller than the Doge MCAP with an authoritarian regime* adopting BTC as a unit of account opens the country up to serious negative terms-of-trade shocks. So it's unlikely El Salvadoreans will switch from USD to BTC as the dominant medium of exchange.

*El Salvador’s leader is updating the autocrat playbook for the TikTok generation
    Dude. A G7 nation wasn't going to be the first country.

Secondly, almost every crypto market cap is extremely overvalued, with DOGE being one of the worst offenders. It's a joke, treat it like one.

Finally, it's really sad that the Washington Post, owned by one of the world's richest men that makes his employees wait in long lines (while not being paid) to get frisked on the way out of his warehouses, pushes propaganda about authoritarianism. And don't forget about Amazon's billion dollar contract with the CIA while we're on the subject of oppression.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Propaganda? El Salvador’s Bukele marched troops into the national assembly and also disbanded the country’s constitutional court. It's comically obvious he's a wannabe tinpot dictator. BTC as a means of authoritarian control was not how it was supposed to work, right?

Propaganda? Bukele marched troops into the assembly and disbanded the country’s constitutional court. It's comically obvious he's a wannabe tinpot dictator.
    Not gonna say that El Salvador and most other Latin American countries don't have plenty of human rights issues to improve upon. However, look what Trump tried to do on January 6th! And Joe is only president because Barry made a few phone calls and bribed all the other front runner primary candidates not named Bernard to drop out before Super Tuesday so the neo-libs could get their boy in there. Sorry to break it to you, but we don't have a democracy in the US. We have an oligarchy that's hell-bent on carving out the middle class.

Oh and how about over our borders???

https://williamblum.org/essays/read/...he-master-list

Instances of the United States overthrowing, or attempting to overthrow, a foreign government since the Second World War. (* indicates successful ouster of a government)

China 1949 to early 1960s

Albania 1949-53

East Germany 1950s

Iran 1953 *

Guatemala 1954 *

Costa Rica mid-1950s

Syria 1956-7

Egypt 1957

Indonesia 1957-8

British Guiana 1953-64 *

Iraq 1963 *

North Vietnam 1945-73

Cambodia 1955-70 *

Laos 1958 *, 1959 *, 1960 *

Ecuador 1960-63 *

Congo 1960 *

France 1965

Brazil 1962-64 *

Dominican Republic 1963 *

Cuba 1959 to present

Bolivia 1964 *

Indonesia 1965 *

Ghana 1966 *

Chile 1964-73 *

Greece 1967 *

Costa Rica 1970-71

Bolivia 1971 *

Australia 1973-75 *

Angola 1975, 1980s

Zaire 1975

Portugal 1974-76 *

Jamaica 1976-80 *

Seychelles 1979-81

Chad 1981-82 *

Grenada 1983 *

South Yemen 1982-84

Suriname 1982-84

Fiji 1987 *

Libya 1980s

Nicaragua 1981-90 *

Panama 1989 *

Bulgaria 1990 *

Albania 1991 *

Iraq 1991

Afghanistan 1980s *

Somalia 1993

Yugoslavia 1999-2000 *

Ecuador 2000 *

Afghanistan 2001 *

Venezuela 2002 *

Iraq 2003 *

Haiti 2004 *

Somalia 2007 to present

Honduras 2009 *

Libya 2011 *

Syria 2012

Ukraine 2014 *

Stalefish, if you have to resort to the type of whataboutism that leads to an unending and broad polyass type of discussion, you may want to reconsider your tactics.

And so far bitcoin changes none of the whataboutism. All we've seen at this point is the cynical logic of Internet memedom brought to bear by a trollish strongman in El Salvador. Same as it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Stalefish, if you have to resort to the type of whataboutism that leads to an unending and broad polyass type of discussion, you may want to reconsider your tactics.
    If you don't understand how important it is to remove the control of money from corrupt governments, you may want to reconsider your tactics.

And so far bitcoin changes none of the whataboutism. All we've seen at this point is the cynical logic of Internet memedom brought to bear by a trollish strongman in El Salvador. Same as it ever was.
    No one uses it.
    Only computer nerds use it.
    Only drug dealers use it.
    Only gamblers use it.
    Only a small percentage of the population uses it.
    Only small companies use it.
    Only small countries use it.

https://t.co/iL4yjy4Jwl

Sure, authoritarian rulers in countries like Iran, North Korea, and now El Salvador use bitcoin for money laundering to circumvent financial restrictions as way to, for example, purchase military hardware or material for their nuclear weapons programs. Was that ever a point of contention?

There's also a ransomware thread as well as a pipeline thread with bitcoin as a nexus so I don't think its adoption is in doubt at this point.

Sure, authoritarian rulers in countries like Iran, North Korea, and now El Salvador adopt bitcoin for money laundering to circumvent financial restrictions as way to purchase military hardware. Was that ever a point of contention?
    You complain incessantly about BTC's energy usage. It's a peaceful protocol. Maybe you should post about the US Military being the world's largest polluter. Or maybe just go on believing the lie of American Exceptionalism. The rest of the world fears the countries you listed very little...they fear the US a lot.

Exceptionalism? No country poses unique virtue. No enduring political society is without origins in violence. Every rich country has been involved in a great crime.

The joke is believing BTC is somehow different, believing bitcoiners are uniquely just and fair humans. Among BTC's great crimes is its appalling negative impact on the environment.

Exceptionalism? No country poses unique virtue. No enduring political society is without origins in violence. Every rich country has been involved in a great crime.

The joke is believing BTC is somehow different.
    So why does one county get to have its currency as the world reserve? Do you think it has anything to do with their military spending multiples more on "defense" than the next 7 or so counties combined? Are you saying that because violence is the only thing we've ever known, we should just stick with it? Jesus, man. BTC and crypto are profound for their ability to reverse this trend through decentralization.

You really have to be careful of what you're hoping for.

For the umpteenth time... the USD is no longer the world's sole reserve currency. BTC is a bit (heh) player in the great game being played between the Euro, the Yuan, and the Dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You really have to be careful of what you're hoping for.
    Yeah, rooting for the dollar to fail is also rooting for a lot of people to get hurt. Even then, there's no guarantee BTC emerges a winner and if it does that's not much help for the small fish, only the whales win in that scenario.

Meet your new whale overlords:

https://twitter.com/titodurriz/statu...97001861296129

So why does one county get to have its currency as the world reserve?
    Ask yourself why any currency or container of value became a chosen world reserve, because people around the world have confidence in the stability of that reserve. It has nothing to do with conspiracies. At one time it was the Mark or the Pound or the Franc. The Ruble, not so much, the Yuan? It already is.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Yet our own CryptoContortionistTM, Stalefish, vehemently denies allegations stated in the article: "Bollocks. Buy. Bull."

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    CryptoContortionistTM
    What do you get when you cross breed a CryptoContortionist with a bunch of Russian circus performers?
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

The geriatric crowd sure is salty today.

It's the coffee. Wife picked me up some Starbucks Dark Roast (free from a friend). Tastes like burnt toast mixed with peat moss and discarded cigarette butts. Still has caffeine though!
    I just spotted the ETH gas rate lowest is 1 GWEI!!!! I'm gonna move some of my cryptokitties real fast!

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    What do you get when you cross breed a CryptoContortionist with a bunch of Russian circus performers?
    Speculator capable of autofellatio?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    The geriatric crowd sure is salty today.

If "salty" is the same as pointing out your ignorance, willful or otherwise then call me Morton.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    You complain incessantly about BTC's energy usage. It's a peaceful protocol. Maybe you should post about the US Military being the world's largest polluter. Or maybe just go on believing the lie of American Exceptionalism. The rest of the world fears the countries you listed very little...they fear the US a lot.

I’m no hawk, but the US military is far from the largest polluter in the world. When you post things like this you display your ignorance and/or honesty. Energy, transportation and industry. Those are your largest polluters in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Speculator capable of autofellatio?
    Could! LOL. The official answer is "A Bitcoin conference!"

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m no hawk, but the US military is far from the largest polluter in the world. When you post things like this you display your ignorance and/or honesty. Energy, transportation and industry. Those are your largest polluters in the world.

What about farts?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

Go on and keep believing in unicorns if you want. But Uncle Sam is doing a whole lot of bad stuff. Maybe it's time for another type of money than the petrodollar.

https://weaversway.coop/shuttle-onli...ntPress%20News.