Page 152 of 640 FirstFirst ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 15983
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    There are fake ones out there that will steal your coins as soon as you download them.
    Woah! Good to know. Will definitely go straight to the source, then.

Don't all these staking interest rates have assumptions built in, that might not come true in the future?

About Proof-of-Stake (POS) and staking. What does it say about the monies security system when you have to offer people "too good to be true" rates of return in order to have them secure the network? What happens when you can't offer those rates of return? Does the network have the same level of security?

Re: Ledger. Can't someone just bribe the delivery company(s) that handle manufacturer-direct wallets and swappo the chippo inside it?

Re: Banning crypto. Did they have to ban tulips?

Re: Dogecoin. Isn't it actually better than Bitcoin in every way? (Price growth, speed, monetary policy, cute dog, etc.)

Re: Bitcoin deflation. Can't the 'Bitcoin Collective' of miners and nodes swap chains or institute changes to the issuance at any time? They don't have to consult BTC owners at all even, do they?
    Last edited by puregravity; 04-16-2021 at 01:14 PM. Reason: enhanced staking to new V2.1
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    "Full Faith and Credit" is deliberate irony. People are using condos in Toronto or Vancouver as relative storehouses of value vis-a-vis inflation and erosion of CAD to Canadian government quantitative easing and fiat currency debasement. GLD and TIPS/RRI used to be my anti-inflation hedge. Similarly so is my Canadian RE holdings. I've now come to the way of thinking that BTC is better than my TIPS/RRI holdings since they're not subject to governmental urge to print endless amounts of money (TIPs being US dollar, RRI being Canadian dollar; both inflation-adjusted but only adjusted to nominal rates which I feel are dramatically understated).

I have very little faith in the willingness or even ability of US or Canadian governments to halt the money printer. Ergo inflation occurs. Ergo my USD and CAD holdings erode if I keep them in cash-equivalents. I have more faith in the implacability of supply-demand constraints of a mathematically-constrained supply of Coins.

Finally I view holding BTC as equal to being short the entire monetary system. Since I am very long the monetary system through stocks, RE holdings. options this satisfies my desire to hedge
    exactly.

i'm interested in trading someone about 15,000 usd of btc for the equivalent of physical gold.

if you did't pay much for your gold might be a cheap way into btc.

long shot i know.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    i'm interested in trading someone about 15,000 usd of btc for the equivalent of physical gold.

if you did't pay much for your gold might be a cheap way into btc.

long shot i know.
    Virtual gold

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1618619447.328890.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	419.4 KB 
ID:	371795

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I suppose that's one way to put it. The asset is guaranteed deflationary but over what timeframe? I feel the 300K BTC bulls are over-confident.

But I have too much of my NW tied up in RE (approx 18%) due to it having inflated. Another large chunk (60% or so) are in dividend companies benefiting from low rates. Therefore I am somewhat neutral on fed QE.

I held too much cash equivalents having liquidated pre-COVID and failed to deploy during the 2020 meltdown. Some was deployed but most was sidelined. My alternatives are to resume a Talib black-swan strategy of overall shorting the market or simply hold the cash. I don't have the mindset to withstand the pain of the former. I don't like the odds of inflation-erosion on the latter.
    Some good numbers to back this strategy up.

https://rockstarinnercircle.com/wp-c...-Insurance.pdf

Essentially audio version of above
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/020...SV-N8rCdJ7SdJg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Name:	Image1618619447.328890.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	419.4 KB 
ID:	371795
    The stick of dynamite, the pipe and the UFO! LOL. He's trying to tell us something.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

sell hope or fear, ponzi it, watch it burn

the modern economy

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    My Argentinian friend had his life changed by BTC and is so thankful to not be completely fucked by his government. But go on, upper middle class boomers, about how crypto is the devil.
    Your Argentinian friend can do even better by using the USD simultaneously avoiding cryptos many risks.

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    China built a ton of hydro as job creation projects, and invested a ton of money in solar research and production as job creation projects, then crypto showed up, thus China makes up a big part of the current mining population.
    Which is why hashrate for BTC dropped by 30% this last days due to coal mine explosions and inspections in China's Xinjiang region -- where the Uighurs are being rounded up and put in camps.

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    I don't see a way for governments to ban crypto, outside of taxing it, thus the attractiveness of it. It's not like they're going to stop people from exchanging paper wallets.
    Did they have to ban tulips?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Hooooleeeeeeeee sheeeeeeet. My Dogecoin just hit $0.33!!! This has to crater at some point, right? It's been fun as hell to watch, but it can't really last, can it?
    LOL. That's great. Aren't there a few good reasons that Doggy Coin is better than BTC? Actually, better in every way, correct? (Speed, flexible issuance schedule, asic resistance, cuteness etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Because it’s nonsense. LeeLau seems like a sharp dude, but this one has me scratching my head. One of the things BTC doesn’t have, to any degree, is full faith and credit. Which was going to be my response to and discussion with Montucky until LeeLau dropped that and now I have no idea wtf....
    What are you talking about man? It has the Full Faith and Credit of Paris Hilton! No joke. BITCOIN fans = laser eyes. This is now her Twitter profile pic.

Name:  Ex_WiRAVoAAZg87.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  21.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    sell hope or fear, ponzi it, watch it burn

the modern economy
    Succinct. You must be into the whole brevity thing.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Your Argentinian friend can do even better by using the USD simultaneously avoiding cryptos many risks.
    STFU DONNY.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post

Which is why hashrate for BTC dropped by 30% this last days due to coal mine explosions and inspections in China's Xinjiang region -- where the Uighurs are being rounded up and put in camps.

Did they have to ban tulips?

LOL. That's great. Aren't there a few good reasons that Doggy Coin is better than BTC? Actually, better in every way, correct? (Speed, flexible issuance schedule, asic resistance, cuteness etc.)

What are you talking about man? It has the Full Faith and Credit of Paris Hilton! No joke. BITCOIN fans = laser eyes. This is now her Twitter profile pic.

Name:  Ex_WiRAVoAAZg87.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  21.4 KB
    You left out the part about how despite a huge power failure the Bitcoin network kept on operating without interruption or loss of funds. Additionally, the Bitcoin code has a built-in mechanism to adjust the mining difficulty as needed if large amounts of hash power do not come back online shortly.

Remember how the United States Fedwire crashed in February and was totally incapable of transmitting money? There is a reason why the Bitcoin market cap is over 1 trillion dollars.

So...BTFD?

Bitcoin mining pool hashrates plummet following Northwest China blackouts.

The hashrate of Bitcoin (BTC) has dropped 30-40% as coal driven mining pools in Northwest China were taken offline. Half the world’s Bitcoin mining capacity is based in China, accounting for 65% of the hashrate.

It's a reminder that Bitcoin runs mostly on coal and other fossil fuels, not renewables. See also Bitcoin miners buying decommissioned coal plants in the U.S. to ramp up energy-intensive Bitcoin mining.

https://www.nysfocus.com/2021/04/13/...mining-threat/

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bi...110000621.html

https://twitter.com/doveywan/status/1382912887535005701

Time for dat Sunday dip! Everything's lit up red and my mini-portfolios down about 20ish% overall. Only thing holding strong is my Doge although that deflated pretty fast on Friday but still way, way up over my initial investment. That's something else I'm noticing. When BTC et al dives on Sunday, Doge gains on Sundays. It often times seems to perform the opposite of what other things are. When I get a bit more ballsy with this stuff, I wonder if it'd be a good idea to sell Doge and buy BTC/ETH/BAT, etc on Sundays. Just seems to be the most predictable day of the week like clockwork from what I'm still noticing.

Name:	Sunday Dip 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	371920

Last night I was wondering to myself if there will ever be a time where I'd be able to buy BTC under 55 again.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Last night I was wondering to myself if there will ever be a time where I'd be able to buy BTC under 55 again.
    My buy orders are between 40-50k, woke up very disappointed to see nothing got hit. But I reminded myself that the 21 weekly ema is at 45ish and I just need to stick to the plan. It's been 7 months of green candles! Fingers crossed for a reset this week, no fomo, stick to the plan.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Time for dat Sunday dip! Everything's lit up red and my mini-portfolios down about 20ish% overall. Only thing holding strong is my Doge although that deflated pretty fast on Friday but still way, way up over my initial investment. That's something else I'm noticing. When BTC et al dives on Sunday, Doge gains on Sundays. It often times seems to perform the opposite of what other things are. When I get a bit more ballsy with this stuff, I wonder if it'd be a good idea to sell Doge and buy BTC/ETH/BAT, etc on Sundays. Just seems to be the most predictable day of the week like clockwork from what I'm still noticing.
    Trading volumes are lower on the weekends so you see more volatility. That means it can not only dip but also spike. If you're only seeing dips then you should ask if there's some confirmation bias going on, especially when the data is readily accessible.

Today, prices are down due to rumors of a U.S. Treasury crackdown, power outages in China’s Xinjiang province, rumors of over leveraged crypto, and Coinbase owners dumping equity.

Any more substance to the "financial institutions to be charged with money laundering" tweets?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Any more substance to the "financial institutions to be charged with money laundering" tweets?
    That same story was reported days ago by multiple outlets and was largely ignored.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/decrypt...easury%3famp=1

This is the best explanation of last night's crash I've seen so far. TLDR: cascading liquidations of over-leveraged longs was likely made much worse by some type of exchange failure.

https://twitter.com/adamscochran/sta...525851659?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Today, prices are down due to rumors of a U.S. Treasury crackdown, power outages in China’s Xinjiang province, rumors of over leveraged crypto, and Coinbase owners dumping equity.
    Interesting. So perhaps a great day to buy then, huh?

Well, based on past events, we know that a big Tether Print and General Mooning happens around a month before some very bad news (fraud charges/exchange hacks/etc.). Trading foresight is a very expensive commodity usually reserved for the wealthy + very well connected + smart.

Bitcoin....who's gotten into it?

Volume is still very small compared to outstanding issue. Barely 1% changed hands. That’s not my view of a liquidation; more like a thin market. It wouldn’t take much of a hedge to raid BTC.