Page 284 of 649 FirstFirst ... 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 ... LastLast
Results 7,076 to 7,100 of 16218

Bitcoin....who's gotten into it?

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    Bitcoin uses less electricity than the ac in Arizona alone.
    A quick Google tells me AZ burns 75 TWh a year and bitcoin burns 91 TWh a year….

There are a few million people in Arizona providing value, working in industries, paying taxes.

I still can’t buy a snickers bar at the corner store with bitcoin.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I think it can better be described as an electronic Ponzi scheme which is somehow being allowed by authorities to operate in plain sight. It is an enormous drain on natural resources to create the energy to run the chips to create “coins” with no inherent value other than what the next sucker is willing to pay.
    The US government is running the largest ponzi ever with social security, and some could argue the dollar is also in this category. Your just spitting propaganda by saying bitcoin is causing global warming, there is excessive power consumption in many industries. Bitcoin will find energy efficiency as the market dictates. It's true market forces that drive how energy is used. Oh and by the way many power plants dump extra energy that isn't being consumed. So one could argue that Bitcoin is filling slack in the power market.
    Bitcoin is a small way to escape to government control over your money. Imagine a world where private banks will be obsolete and the government will be issuing their own digital currency. You have choice in who's network you want to be in, chose wisely. It's so much more about personal liberty than just finding the next sucker. I don't promote a 100% strategy but I do think people should have more than zero just in case these ideas take hold.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

About 1/3 of energy produced is lost to heat or just not used at all!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

India is proposing to take 30% of that conspiracy currency.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    A quick Google tells me AZ burns 75 TWh a year and bitcoin burns 91 TWh a year….

There are a few million people in Arizona providing value, working in industries, paying taxes.

I still can’t buy a snickers bar at the corner store with bitcoin.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sorry for bad number, I was listening to some podcast, of course I got it wrong. They also mentioned Texas in the same sentence. Anyway, I think it's important that we look at the numbers, so thanks!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Here is why I'm not relying on dca into an index fund:
    Attachment 403874
    https://www.unseenopp.com/the-chart-...-wants-to-see/
    FFS! You do realize that M2 money supply is not the same thing as inflation, right!?!

Maybe try to learn about velocity of money, and how it relates to M1/M2 and inflation

Maybe try to understand what this graph is telling you:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4F5452F3-C7A4-4553-A9B5-D9791CCDD95D.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	403937

Are you also aware that much of the stock market’s gains come from reinvesting dividends, not just the change in price level:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F50489E-C918-4901-8EBA-1B40A6B9AB99.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	433.7 KB 
ID:	403941

I assure you that my retirement savings invested in stock index funds have seen much greater than zero growth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3312B5E9-371F-46B4-82F3-13675F462508.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	403938  

So a states energy use (to do things like have the lights on in a school or in an operating room etc for their millions of citizens) is what we can use to compare to Bitcoin energy use (make sure you add in the energy being used for other crypto mining too) to suggest that mining energy is not wasteful?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    So a states energy use (to do things like have the lights on in a school or in an operating room etc for their millions of citizens) is what we can use to compare to Bitcoin energy use (make sure you add in the energy being used for other crypto mining too) to suggest that mining energy is not wasteful?
    Oh, you’re not aware of the Fed’s secret stash of nuclear reactors that get turned on every time they need to increase the monetary base?

I wouldn't presume to define your value system. I'm just trying to look at numbers.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Bitcoin is a small way to escape to government control over your money. Imagine a world where private banks will be obsolete and the government will be issuing their own digital currency. You have choice in who's network you want to be in, chose wisely. It's so much more about personal liberty than just finding the next sucker. I don't promote a 100% strategy but I do think people should have more than zero just in case these ideas take hold.
    Curious where you think the banks will go? Will people no longer need loans for cars and houses and such? Or do you really just mean private banks and are you suggesting that this will all move to state-run institutions?

Also, why is government control of my money a bad thing, particularly opposed to some anonymous hacker-type or a bitcoin billionaire? Articulate that?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Curious where you think the banks will go? Will people no longer need loans for cars and houses and such? Or do you really just mean private banks and are you suggesting that this will all move to state-run institutions?

Also, why is government control of my money a bad thing, particularly opposed to some anonymous hacker-type or a bitcoin billionaire? Articulate that?
    Remember the good ol' days when individual banks issued their own currency?? States got in the game, too.

Those were good times...

I wouldn't presume to define your value system. I'm just trying to look at numbers.
    No - you are not just trying to look at numbers. C'mon.

Ok, I admit it. I'm also seeking social connection based on shared interests. Skiing anyone? Growing tomatoes in winter at 10k?
    Henry David Thoreau

I'm pretty open minded about this, but I would not argue it is a better currency.

It is a horrible currency. You can't buy anything with it and it is more volatile than the Argentinian peso.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I'm pretty open minded about this, but I would not argue it is a better currency.

It is a horrible currency. You can't buy anything with it and it is more volatile than the Argentinian peso.
    Perhaps they should rename it BitAsset... or BitAss for short?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Remember the good ol' days when individual banks issued their own currency?? States got in the game, too.

Those were good times...

Remember the good old days when BTC was like $500 and you were calling it a dead project that was going to zero?

Those were good times.....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Remember the good old days when BTC was like $500 and you were calling it a dead project that was going to zero?

Those were good times.....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    AND OF COURSE HE STILL DOESN'T REALIZE THAT HE'S A MORON, JUST LIKE THE OTHER CRYPTO LUDDITES
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    I don't.

Perhaps you're thinking of someone else?

Probably me and again I did not say go to zero, I said it would disappear entirely. I still stand by that.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Everything will go to zero on a long enough timeline. Act accordingly.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Probably me and again I did not say go to zero, I said it would disappear entirely. I still stand by that.
    You understand for that to happen every single computer phone internet device etc would have to be turned off and never turned on again?

And even then the network would be able to be accessed via satelites.

I don't think you understand btc even remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Tax write off

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post

The government doesn't need the banks anymore. If they are the account holder then they can directly issue your transfer payment or directly take the necessary taxes out of your account. No middle man who needs to be bailed out during the next crisis. This will also help with surveillance of money, as well and eliminate all anonymous (cash) transactions. Big banks are obsolete anyways, when was the last time you went to them for a car loan or a mortgage? Most in my town are closed down, probably staffing but who really knows, I have no reason to go in to make a deposit anymore. Most dollars are already digital anyway.

State run money has the problem of them not being able to resist printing more money every time there is a problem. If money was backed by something that had scarcity, gold perhaps, then they couldn't get away with just magic liquidity anymore. I am mostly in the camp that we have to stop using fiat. All fiat has fallen to zero throughout history and the dollar will not be the exemption. This probably won't happen in my lifetime but it will happen.
    The decentralized natural of bitcoin doesn't give any one person control. It's much to widespread now. The community controls what happens to the code so finding consensus is very difficult. Unlike centralized state controlled currency, brrrr.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Happy 30 trillion dollar debt day everyone! Heard Congress is considering more stimulus as well. Shoutout to the boomers for lecturing us about ponzi schemes while they take a fucking social security check lmfao