Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Niiiice work gentlemen! Thanks for the TR arty.

Good to have you boys here. Not bad for a first shot at the whole camp thing...
    When you're feeling down, just remember: It's always darkest before it goes pitch .... fucking.... black.

Thumbs up

WOW

and I think I can see you and LPH's smiles from here
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Pretty hard for me to add anything of substance to that TR. Thanks Arty, great TR.

First of all, I can't say enough about str8line and Sarge. They made the trip.
    Hanging and skiing with str8line is just like hanging with one of the boys, he just wants to get out there and rip, just like the rest of us, probably more so. He may be a pro who does this for a living, but he smiles and laughs and enjoys it as much as anyone. He is also a great instructor. He did an excellent job of not only explaining what you were doing wrong, but also how to fix it. We all had issues some (me) more than others. The video analysis is really the key here as you get to see what you are doing wrong and also, what you improve on as the week progresses.

Sarge is liking a walking encyclopedia of mountain knowledge. I can't stress enough how invaluable his instruction was during the camp, both in the comfort of the lounge and on mountain. In addition, the opportunity to do a beacon search in HUGE avy debris was incredible, but also somewhat daunting. Sarge scouted each run for us, gave us directions, encouraged us and cheered us on while we were trying to ski properly. Most importantly, he kept us safe, digging a pit and analyzing the snow side by side with him was a great learning experience. Not to mention, he is a snowhound like no other I have met. His ability to pick a run with good snow, whether it be corn or pow with a good pitch from the Heli, was amazing, he NEVER missed. And this included picking some runs that CPGs had never been to before.

Having been through 14 years of higher education, i have a pretty good grasp of what makes someone a good instructor and BOTH of these guys have what it takes. As a bonus they are both quality people who were fun to hang out with, fun to ski with and just good guys to be around.

Owens was a great host. Drinking with him that first night and hearing some Owens childhood stories was a blast. The opportunity to ski in Seward (the new terrain) was amazing. The views were spectacular, the town was cool, the locals were a bit nutty(in a good way) and the terrain simply incredible. I think we would have been able to ski alot more of the gnar had it not been for all the natural activity that seemed to surround us on every side.

Props to str8line for all the pics. That guy was shooting pics constantly and as you can see from above, it paid off. Thanks, dude. Also, thanks to Owens for the camera.

I am still tired from the trip, but i am already dreaming of my next trip to AK. In fact, I already told str8line to sign me up for next year. I think this may have to become a tradition.

just for the record:

3 "guests"
    + 2 "guides" (being who they are)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    TITS!
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

LB, yeah, we definitely realized how damn lucky we were. When Owens told us a couple weeks ago it was only gonna be three, we couldn't believe our good fortune. Turns out the third, Cannon, as in 'LOOSE', had us laughing our asses off the entire trip. He gave Sarge shit at every opportunity, which str8line did nothing to discourage, in fact, i think he enjoyed it.

yeah, when I realized it was just the three was when my jealousy turned to loathing.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Wow, great TR Arty.

Thanks to you, LPH, and Cannon for having the cajones to sack up financially for this trip. Without you there would have been no 2005 AK Straightline Adventures Maggot Camp. 1/2 price for each of you next year!(C'mon Owens!).

Also, thanks to you Owens. As an owner of Chugach Powder Guides, your help in making this happen was huge. Your operation is pro, and you are pro. Now I realize why Owens Never Sleeps-he's too busy taking care of business. Most of the photos were taken on Owen's Nikon D70 with either a 18-80mm.(digital) or a 100-400mm. zoom. He was kind enough to trust me with his gear and although every shot was taken on full auto, the camera did a good job.

Thanks to Sarge(AKA Curmudgeon) for imparting so much of his knowledge and keeping a head for safety. BTW, Sarge is on a snowboard because he is a pussy.

Also, thanks to Mike Overcast(lead guide and co-owner of CPG) for getting us into some great zones.

I've gotta say it was a pleasure hanging with Arty, LPH, and Cannon. Their stoke and patience and coolness made the trip a total pleasure. Each of them were model AK skiers and they stepped it up whenever asked to. This was one of those trips where everything just gelled.

Macallans and Churchills for all!

Thanks for the Cigars Str8. I only have two left.
    When you're feeling down, just remember: It's always darkest before it goes pitch .... fucking.... black.

The whole Conway thing on a snowboard was actually pretty funny. I asked him about it right away in the tram line that first day, he says he has been boarding for about 12 years, but still skiing as well.

Funny thing is, he is a typical snowboarder. Everytime we hit sun crust or windcrust he would say, "Don't even feel it on a board." If the snow got a tad heavy he would say, "Doesn't matter on a board." After our summit lunches, he would offer to carry this huge bag down to the next pick up, saying, "It is easy on a board." Comments like that were frequent.

However, after the first day he also said that watching us ski, (I can only assume he meant str8line) was making him jones to get out there on his skis.

EDIT: I really really like this idea....

Quote Originally Posted by str8line
    Thanks to you, LPH, and Cannon for having the cajones to sack up financially for this trip. Without you there would have been no 2005 AK Straightline Adventures Maggot Camp. 1/2 price for each of you next year!(C'mon Owens!).
    Last edited by lph; 03-24-2005 at 03:28 PM.

oh yeah....I needed that.

awesome. just awesome.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

FKNA!!!!!! That is incredible. Having taken instruction from both Gordy and the Sarge, I know you guys were in heaven. Nice job.

Gotta go start saving money right now!!!
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by str8line
    BTW, Sarge is on a snowboard because he is a pussy.

Allright buddy, the gloves are off! Bring it!

Damn skiers I tell ya.

Arty, that write up was unreal! Gordy, that could be used as a "camper" testamonial (sp?) for the next one for damn sure.

It made my morning to read that, simply amazing.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Arty50 - I can't even think of words to describe how epic your trip looked. Fucking awesome

Great job Gordy and Conway!
    "Describing powder skiing to somone who has never done it is like trying to describe sex to a virgin "

Caw Caw!! Sickety sickness.
    Live To Ski!

Dude. Seriously. Dude. FKNA.

TR of the Decade.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Thumbs up

Wow. These guys are my ski heroes!

There's only one word needed to describe what that trip must have been like and the TR: CHAMP!
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Wow. Definitely the most incredible / inspiring TR I've seen yet!

Good work guys. Amazing shit!

Quote Originally Posted by lph
    Props to str8line for all the pics. That guy was shooting pics constantly and as you can see from above, it paid off. Thanks, dude. Also, thanks to Owens for the camera.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Like a moron, I completely forgot. Str8 took most of the pics in the post and obviously did a great job.

Speaking of pics, picking the few I chose was the hardest part and that's what led to the delayed TR. There were over 500 of them, and all were quality.

Now I just have one question...lph, where's the video damnit?!?!
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    Now I just have one question...lph, where's the video damnit?!?!

I got it, i edited it, i put a really cheesy music score to it. i gotta pm str8line to get his footy then maybe it will be complete enough to post.

Thanks for the tr Arty. Good work! Hats of to you lph, and the cannon. I wasn't aware you guys were hung over on day 3. You know that's fine to go out and enjoy yourselves into the wee hours the night before we go play in the heli. NOW DROP AND GIVE ME THIRTY!! You too Owens, for encouraging that!

Thanks to all you guys for being serious with all the safety, and especially rescue training. It's so much better knowing you have a solid team to back you up when you're out in the backcountry (heli or no).

As for Gordy claiming I'm a pussy for boarding? Just remember, one becomes wiser with age (and I'm way older than all you). Hopefully, we can get some boarders to represent in the future camps.

Late

Quote Originally Posted by sarge1957
    Hopefully, we can get some boarders to represent in the future camps.
    Maybe we can help out with this goal over at www.splitboard.net/talk .

How about trading some ad space for some heli time?

Or maybe we could help develop a special heli and splitboard camp for us. We could start and finish the camp with a day or two of heli and you could drop us for a few days in the middle for some self propelled riding/bc camping. This might make the camp cost less and therefore increase campers.

We could call it the Dirtbag Splitboarder AK Heli camp…or something like that.

edit to add> my avatar was taken at CPG in '98.
    Last edited by bcrider; 03-24-2005 at 10:27 PM.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

WOW. Great TR Arty - wicked mint! Great stoke from LPH, Str8, ONS, and everyone else involved. Thanks for the pics, b/c they really remind you how limiting words can sometimes be.

I gotta believe that Gordy's gonna have his hands full w/maggot requests for this camp next year. Huge props to all of you, just so much fun to read this stuff!

Fucking awesome!

You guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!!