Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cali peeps ... things to hit on the west coast

I booked a family vaca (wife and two girls (10 and 12)) for a week traveling up the coast. We're two nights in SD, three nights in Huntington Beach, one night in Carmel (to break up the drive) and two nights in SF. Good hotel locations in all spots. Rented a car. The only thing that's definitely on the list is Alcatraz (my 10 yo is fascinated). Sports type activities are not really their bag when on vaca. The goal is to relax, see the beauty of the state and eat some good food.

SD
    Zoo?
    Beach

HB
    Beach (duh)
    Catalina?
    Clemente?
    The mags hooked me up with a tasty Mexican rest in a previous thread

Carmel
    Mistake to take US1 to get there? Where's the best place to drive the coast?

SF
    Too many options
    Fish market?!? (huh?)
    First starbucks (ghay?)

What are the must-do's?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    ...the 1st starbucks is in Seattle.
    I think he meant the 1st gay-only Starbucks...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I can definitely move the Carmel hotel to Santa Barbara. HB to Santa Barbara is only 2.5 hours which would leave 5 the next day to get to SF. You think that's better than huffing it from HB to Carmel in a day and then finishing the last 2 hours to SF the next? Sounds like SB is better than Carmel? Hit the coast there? Which stretch of 1 is best, west out of SB or north of Morro Bay?

It's not that I don't like your advice, I just don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    I think he meant the 1st gay-only Starbucks...
    Then, isn't it like the first bar of chocolate? Or the first reach around? Something like that?

The USS Midway in SD is rad.

I think north of Morro Bay is more dramatic coastline for sure, that's the transition from N to S Cal, and you will have already seen S Cal at that point. If you can swing the drive time, the whole way is cool, but saving a few hours is nice at times.

I'm gonna disagree on SB vs Carmel. I think Carmel is a little nicer and more interesting... much smaller feel and snootier too, but YMMV there based on where you go.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I booked a family vaca (wife and two girls (10 and 12)) for a week traveling up the coast. We're two nights in SD, three nights in Huntington Beach, one night in Carmel (to break up the drive) and two nights in SF. Good hotel locations in all spots. Rented a car. The only thing that's definitely on the list is Alcatraz (my 10 yo is fascinated). Sports type activities are not really their bag when on vaca. The goal is to relax, see the beauty of the state and eat some good food.

SD
    Zoo?
    Beach

HB
    Beach (duh)
    Catalina?
    Clemente?
    The mags hooked me up with a tasty Mexican rest in a previous thread

Carmel
    Mistake to take US1 to get there? Where's the best place to drive the coast?

SF
    Too many options
    Fish market?!? (huh?)
    First starbucks (ghay?)

What are the must-do's?
    Ill start that all driving route's to southern california suck. 1's scenic but its going to take you a decade to get down south. But if you guys are on that kind of trip, its a no brainer. Pick and choose your poison to cutover from 101 or 5.

I've never been, but my buddy from vegas and his wife hit the Catalina every year. So thats probably a great choice. If you're like me and like zoo's and aquariums, how can't you visit the two best ones in the world. I think Monterrey and SD are stops that I would take.

SF, go explore is all i have to say. If you're doing alcatraz have a nice lunch on the bay at the many of restaurants at pier 39. You'd need to be more specific on how old you guys are and what you enjoy for some good suggestions. What kind of food establishments you want? SF has so much good food. Answer those questions and i'll get you some answers. My buddies lived out there for the last 20 years and has taken me to some fantastic places when i venture into the chaos. SF is pretty laid back. It's like Seattle or portland.
    Last edited by cramer; 02-01-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Carmel is not worth stopping, keep going to santa cruz, stay near the boardwalk.

San diego= mission beach by day gas lamp by night

Sf= yes alcatraz, starbucks what? (No) if you like coffee go to blue bottle or pm me for more coffee advice. Take the bart (subway) to embarcedero and walk up market get back on bart at civic center and go to 16th street and check out the mission district have a burrito (villa lobos or any really) or paki food (pakwan)

The golden gate is hard to beat too

Have fun
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    go to Point Lobos (just south of Carmel) and tell them that's what RLS based Treasure Island on? Check out the otters/whatever?

Guess you didn't say... when. I'm assuming March-April?
    Shit, Spew Dongaday is right on this one, and most of his other advice on your trip. Personally I'd shift a day from HB to Carmel/Monterrey or SF, unless SD and HB are essential parts of your California beach scene vacation or you need to take the kids to Disneyland. I've also heard Lego Land is cool, but never been there.

North from LA I'd skip up the coast and cut over to Hwy. 1 around the Morro Bay area. Morro Bay is not a bad place to spend a night to break up the drive. It's more affordable then SB and has some safe kayaking, along with prisons on the side of the road to entertain your future convict child and a nuke plant that will eventually fall into the sea. San Simeon is tempting, but most likely boring for kids overall. The Big Sur region north of there is generally a slow drive with many scenic pull off spots for photo ops and breaks, it's arguably the best part of the CA coast. Be aware that there are almost no "services" on that section of road, so plan ahead with a packed lunch, water, TP, etc.

I'd highly recommend going to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium (It's a do not miss) in connection with Pt. Lobos because it would be a great educational experience for the kids. Ideally I'd go the Aquarium first and then Pt. Lobos the next day since it would give them a solid base for what they'll in the wild. Hopefully Pt. Lobos won't be closed due to the state's latest budget fuck up, but I think it was for a bit last spring.

From there, if the whales are going off a boat trip out of Moss Landing is another do not miss, but it has to be the right time of year. Skip past Santa Cruz except for maybe stopping off to watch some surfers. The SC boardwalk is the CA version of the Jersey shore.

You need more then a few days to really experience SF, but after Alcatraz, I'd suggest the Exploratorium and/or the CA Academy of Science. If you're not totally sick of driving at this point a day trip over the Golden Gate to Muir Woods, with maybe a stop off in Sausalito for lunch, is well worth it, especially if the kids have never walked amongst the redwoods.

Have fun, and be prepared to road rage on thousands of slow and annoying RV's on the coast at almost any time of year.
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Huh. If I were doing this trip with kids, I'd omit HB entirely. Spend an extra day at Seaworld with the kids. Eat dinner at Ponce's. When you decide to head north, stay at the Crowne Plaza in Garden Grove. It's right next to Disney, if you want to do that for the kids. You can get this hotel on Hotwire for ~$60, and it has an awesome pool. This sets you up for a 9am start, hitting traffic around 945, which isn't terrible in LA.

Head west on i10, hook up with the 1. Lunch at Neptune's Net, and take that walk on the beaches 1.5 miles south of The Net. Park on the side of the road, and pick your poison down to the water. Nothing really to do in Ventura. Once you hit this point, you have a decision to make. Hopefully, you stick with 1. Stop in Morro Bay, more walking on the beach. Look for the seal overlook after the turnoff for Hurst Castle.

Carmel is gorgeous, but the most beautiful scenery I've seen in CA is Big Sur. Don't miss this section of 1.

If you decide to do SC, stay away from the boardwalk. Touristy as heck, and nothing worthwhile. Maybe walk near the lighthouse and watch the surfers.

In SF, Alcatraz is fun, as is renting those little yellow go carts in The Wharf and freezing your ass off. Be sure to hit Ft Point, and walk around if it's open. 16st BART station is one of the most dangerous areas in the city. Drug dealers come from East Bay to deal here. Shootings are a regular thing. Take a taxi if you need to go to Mission.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

The SD zoo is good but here's my advice. Be the first ones in and when they drop the rope go directly to the Panda exhibit through the aviary. The aviary early in the morning with no one else in there is really cool. From Panda, go on the big cat walk. Do not take the bus tour! It sucks. Three hours is plenty. Will you see everything? No, but after noon it gets crowded and annoying.

Trip is mid-April.

Seaworld is a no-go as is Disney. Touron is to be avoided. but things like the zoo are on the table. As far as hotel recs go, thanks but I got a really good deal staying at Hyatts the whole way. Two free nights with a new cc and strong discounts across the board. That'll get us good locations and a strong home base for daily adventures.

Lot's to digest. Thanks guys. I'll be back with questions about routes and places to stop.

I'd choose Carmel over SB, but neither are hot spots. I think Hugh hit it right. Old man fashion is hot in C.

MBA is pretty awesome. We get down there a lot. Go on a week day and get there as it opens (at 10) is possible. It can get packed. Paired with Lobos it could be great. Again, the rest of Monterey is kind of a tourist shit hole. The ocean walk out toward Pacific Grove is pretty though.

If you have the time 1 from Morro Bay to Monterey is a great drive, but that stretch can take an easy six hours. Winding road along cliffs with few passing zones. A number of great short hikes or beautiful beaches to stop at. There is a deli in Big Sur (west side of the road) with decent sandwiches. Fill up on gas at SLO. As stated, few services, and super expensive gas along that stretch.

If you come to SC, Lighthouse is an easy stop. See the surfers. West Cliff Drive is a nice stroll. Boardwalk is near by. Tourist trap? Sure. Also has the west coast's oldest wooden rollar coaster, which is a bit of fun. If you are planning to eat around there, hit up the Picnic Basic. Local, organic, farm fresh. Everything else is corn dogs and funnel cakes.

For redwoods, I'd take a look at Henry Cowell SP in Felton, 5 miles up Rt 9 from SC. Easier access than Muir. Not quite as expansive, but an easy trip. ANd if your kids like trains, there is a steam engine station right next door. Ask for the Sherman Tree. You can climb inside. My 2 yr old loves it.

If you find you are short on time, and taking 101 from SB to SC, Pasa Robles has a brewery right off the road. Considering, it is decent beer and food at decent prices. Head out toward Rt 1 at Salinas. BTW, 101 is a way less horrible road than 5. 5 is fast, but like a high speed nightmare. Although, when we need to make time we take 5 until some road (that James Dean dies on) that connects to 101 at Pasa Robles. Good basic burger at a joint near where Dean crashed.

The old bath houses in SF, near the CLiff House are cool to hike around. SF zoo is okay, but from what I recall, SD is way better. Alcatraz is way better on a foggy or rainy day. When the sun is out, is seems like the most awesome prison ever. Trolley is fun with kids. +1 on Exploritorium and Science Academy

Gotta go make a smoothie for my begging kiddo now.
    Last edited by Ottime; 02-01-2014 at 08:33 AM.

As noted above, three nights in HB with kids seems like a long stretch.

I'd take off a night early and head up to Cambria. Sleepy little beach town with good food and nice views. Stop halfway up for lunch in Malibu or Santa Barbara. Pull over if you see something you want to check out, good surf, whatever. You'll see some legendary surf breaks, including Rincon, from your car. Stop whenever you like, as there's not a lot between SB and Pismo Beach to see.

There are some nice motels / rentals near Moonstone Beach in Cambria (can't remember which one I stayed at a few years ago) and it really splits up the Big Sur / Highway 1 drive nicely. Then head north to Carmel, stopping at as many classic Big Sur spots as you can take (I'm assuming no one gets car sick).

Take a boat out to the Farralon Islands. Going under the GG Bridge is a very memorable experience. The wildlife out at the islands is the real shit...not the aquarium.

Here is a link to a 10 min. video about them.

http://science.kqed.org/quest/video/...ias-galapagos/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Last edited by stalefish3169; 02-01-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Another vote for driving Highway 1 through Big Sur, seeing Point Lobos. The SD Zoo is great, the beaches are nothing special but I'm not a beach person. Whale watching out of Monterey or Half Moon bay might be good--not sure if it's a good time to see them. In SF I like Golden Gate Park--Tea Garden, Arboretum, DeYoung museum if you're into art, Natural History museum is excellent. If you're looking for art the Legion of Honor museum is better than the deyoung and I think there's an Impressionist exhibit on when you're there. A boat tour of the bay is fun. I've never been to Alcatraz myself and no desire to go. Walking around Fisherman's wharf is a fun tourist thing to do, and the restaurants, while touristy, aren't bad. North of SF Stinson beach is a neat little town and a beach you can walk miles on.

You could do what some German friends did and take a side trip to Sacramento to see Sutter's Fort, but I wouldn't advise it. (They come from John Sutter's home town.)

Stalefish--I've never been out to the Farralons. I'll have to do that.

SD Zoo is as good as you'd think it would be.

La Jolla cove is pretty cool and a good neighborhood to grab lunch.

I would avoid Sea World

Gas lamp district is good for eats/dranks
    PB/OB are shitty tourist traps crawling with shady meth addicts

If you want a nice beach to walk or see sunset I would recommend Coronado Beach or Windandsea in La Jolla

Sent from one of those fancy cellular telephones
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    La Jolla cove is pretty cool and a good neighborhood to grab lunch.
    La Jolla is awesome. Parking sucks. Also check out Torrey Pines State Reserve just north of the golf course. Should be beautiful that time of year. Point Loma is also pretty cool in SD.

Hiway 1 is a long and winding slog for passengers. For beach I liked San Clemente south of the pier. Totally local scene and not crowded. Great beach and easy parking. If you go to Point Lobos, resist any suggestion of 17 mile drive. It's a waste of time.

I think a good day is Melrose Ave/Hollywood for lunch and then Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive for people watching. But that's just me.

Old Goat meant California Academy of Science which is good for kids:

http://www.calacademy.org/

Just the plaza between De Young Museum and Academy of Science is worth a look.

santa cruz beach and boardwalk everybody has a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    A little farther north, but maybe Amanda Knox?
    well played.

If you go to the zoo in SD the old part of balboa park is cool for a quick walk.

Also if dirtys don't bother you Ocean beach pier is kinda cool if the surfs up.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Also if dirtys don't bother you SF is kinda cool.
    FIFY

If you go to tripadvisor (here:http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...alifornia.html), there's a FAQ or 10 on what to do on the coastal drive SD to SF. Everything you could ever want to know is there, there's even a FAQ for doing the drive for the family.