Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reliable headlamp

I Went through two BD storms in three years. On one the hinge broke, the second's electronics bitched out. I landed in cuba and after a few days it just stayed on, but very dim. My petzl myo 5 is going strong even after 10+ years. Good flashlight, but it's bulky and outdated with these fancy high power LEDs.

How are the new petzls? The TIKKA XP2 looks pretty good but it's not that bright(on paper) compared to it's competition. The RXP seems like a very cool flashlight but I question it's reliability with all the "reactive lighting", usb, computer programmable crap.

So what's RELIABLE, 100+ lumens, and compact these days?

My Icon and e-Lite are still kicking, so no real input on the latest stuff, but this is probably worth your time to read through...
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/a/1116...-are-Deceptive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm a huge fan of petzle products.

I have an older model, Tikka something or the other that I have had for over a decade. It's survived terrible conditions all over the world. I've dropped it in salt water several times, it's survived 7 tours to Iraq / Afghanistan, it's gone through my washer/dryer several times by accident, and it doesn't want anything aside from fresh batteries to keep working.

I think the new Tikkas may be in line with the old reliability wise. I have not had the newer one for long, but so far the build quality seems the same as my older one, but they are much brighter obviously.

I use my Tikka 4 days a week for hours on and off and it is probably 3 years old. Bomber and much better than the older Petzls which I had a great deal of trouble with as they aged (electronics failures) - which is why I switched to BD for a while. My old BD LED is my backup headlight now replaced by the Tikka my wife bought me as a gift. It works great and has decent light. The biggest problem with the old BD I have is that the hinge is at the bottom instead of centered (design flaw) so it moves out of position every time you bump it once it wears a little bit. The Petzl uses a centered hinge that takes a beating and never seems to move.

Bottom line...the newer Petzls are fantastic. I had trouble with older ones. My BD also served me well until hinge wore out.

I thought bd makes great lights until I tried the zebra light headlamps.

1,000 lumens, regulated so the light output is the same as the battery discharges and 3 ounces WITH battery.

Unbelievable

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

I've trusted my life to Princeton Tech for many years after shying away from Petzl's and BD's meager offerings. Bombproof, insane light and durability. I know I can grab it and it won't let me down. And I hate pimping a product.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by freebeerisgood View Post
    I'm a huge fan of petzle products.

I have an older model, Tikka something or the other that I have had for over a decade. It's survived terrible conditions all over the world. I've dropped it in salt water several times, it's survived 7 tours to Iraq / Afghanistan, it's gone through my washer/dryer several times by accident, and it doesn't want anything aside from fresh batteries to keep working.

I think the new Tikkas may be in line with the old reliability wise. I have not had the newer one for long, but so far the build quality seems the same as my older one, but they are much brighter obviously.
    Throwing my vote in for Petzl as well. Had the MYO RXP for a while now and it's never let me down. At 205 Lumen's, it is bright enough for night skiing missions. Could go for more lumen's but the price point of the MYO represents good bang (or lumens) for your buck ($90 or so). The programable aspect is very useful. Gotta remember to power down for uphill skiing or the batteries die awful quick in full power/ boost mood. Fits the bill as far as 'compactness' is concerned. Previously had issues with my BD (can't remember the model). BD customer service was awesome for the record.

I'm assuming the gentleman above is referring to war when he mentions tours. His endorsement carries substantial girth in my opinion.

I too have had circuitry failures with BD lamps, but my current Spot is hanging in there.

As other have said, if you liked the old tech Petzl Myo 5 and are okay with 3xAA cells, check out the Petzl Myo RXP. The original Myo XP had some issues with a failed cord (one of ours failed, other still okay) but that was fixed a few years ago when they went with the RXP, which adds a protective ferrule and also better circuitry, more power and more efficiency.

I always carry a spare ultralightweight headlamp. Just got one of these single AAA lamps for such purpose.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 01-29-2014 at 06:43 PM.

I fourth (fifth?) with problems with a BD lamp. Have one of the underhinged versions and it was shit about
    from day three and now it has stopped working.

Have a older petzl that bonked few weeks ago, but that lamp is old. Like, one of the first led tikkas.
    At some point it got buried in mud for few days and has gone through a washing machine etc...
    BD lamps are cheap around here, but I think I will pay 20-30% extra and buy some Petzl as we dont have those Princeton lamps available here.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

To me Princeton Tech is junk. Bad experiences with cracking plastic but it has been a few years.

YMMV I guess.

All the lamp brands have probably experienced failures at some point/on some model lines. I like the idea of a backup ultralight headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    All the lamp brands have probably experienced failures at some point/on some model lines. I like the idea of a backup ultralight headlight.
    This. In addition to not buying one in the last year, that's why I didn't make a specific recommendation. They all have issues. I recently had a Princeton Tec Remix crack on me from a short (3-4') drop. It cracked tight on the hinge for the battery compartment and it's useless now. Been lazy about sending it in.

I've also owned more than one Petzl and a ton of BDs. Plus saw a bunch of returned stuff when i worked at the evil empire a few years back. First gen Spot didn't break per se, but the dimmer function stopped working in short order. As others have mentioned. Gave it to my dad. No issues with my current Icon. Overall though, I've gotten the sense that Petzl seems to be the most reliable of them, BD, and Princeton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

BTW, the storm even though it has 4x AAA does not seem as bright or last as long as my GFs spot 3x AAA,
    I don't want anything with a separate battery pack. Kinda leaning towards li-ion batteries.

zebralight really looks like the best option. Simple durable design. The H600w Mk II 18650 light output is astounding and I know the XM-L2 bulbs are tits. The runtime on ~150 lumens seems great, even if I get half of what they claim. I can also get a 18650 to AAA adapter if I can't recharge the li-ion batteries. I am pretty sure, based on car headlights, 4400K is better than 6300K, right?
    How do you switch from 80 degree spill to 12 degree hot spot?
    Can anyone come up with any negatives for this flashlight?

Good source for 18650 http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/1...e-3400mah-3-7v

Petzl tikka rxp, is cool but it's battery is only 1800 mAh.

Princeton VIZZ has lots of bad reviews. The REMIX seems pretty good. Which one did you use MakersTeleMark?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Which one did you use MakersTeleMark?
    Apex.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I had a 200 lumen Princeton light but the battery didn't last long enough. At full power, I could maybe get an hour out of it, which wasn't nearly enough for my primary use, which was mountain biking.

I went out and bought a MagicShine MJ-808E light instead and couldn't be happier. It's withstood a long season of mountain biking and a few nights of skiing, it's bright (1,000 lumen), the battery lasts for three hours at full beam, and it was pretty cheap. I found it for under $100, including a bike helmet mount, head strap and extension cord.

Don't confuse Tikka RXP with the Myo RXP. Completely different. Never liked any of the Tikkas, although I'll concede that I see lot of high mileage Tikkas that are going strong after years of abuse.

FWIW, I've seen more circuitry issues and current leaks with BD than all other headlamps combined. But, as I stated above, my Spot that I got for next to nothing is going strong.

Re hinges breaking, one very nice thing about the Myo RXP is that the battery case has a hingeless rubber lid.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I thought bd makes great lights until I tried the zebra light headlamps.

1,000 lumens, regulated so the light output is the same as the battery discharges and 3 ounces WITH battery.

Unbelievable
    This x 100. Anyone who pays real money for a headlamp and doesn't get a Zebralight is settling for second best.

I've had mine for at least seven years and it's pretty much bombproof. All metal, no hinges or mechanical crap to break, bright as hell. The flood versions are the best thing ever for camping: illuminates your entire FOV with no bright spot, lasts for several days on low beam, and is bright enough on high to hike with. (Bonus: not blinding everyone else.) If you need the throw because you're hiking a lot with it or whatever, get the regular version, which is stupid bright.

Plus you can spend a bit extra and get either natural white or high-CRI daylight tint, which are so much nicer to look at (and show colors better) than the standard bluish-white.

If you want ultimate lightness and travelability, get an AA version. If you want ultimate brightness, get an 18650 version. Yes, they're a bit spendy, but compared to ski gear they're still nothing...and once you try one you'll understand why everything else sucks. http://www.zebralight.com

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    ...zebralight really looks like the best option. Simple durable design. The H600w Mk II 18650 light output is astounding and I know the XM-L2 bulbs are tits. The runtime on ~150 lumens seems great, even if I get half of what they claim. I can also get a 18650 to AAA adapter if I can't recharge the li-ion batteries. I am pretty sure, based on car headlights, 4400K is better than 6300K, right?
    How do you switch from 80 degree spill to 12 degree hot spot?
    Can anyone come up with any negatives for this flashlight?...
    4400k looks better on snow, easier on the eyes than 6300k... not as bright white/blue.
    The spill and hot spot both shine at the same time, no mode switch. The spot/spill models are nice for lighting longer distance, still good around camp, but the spot can be a a bit annoying working up close. The flood versions are great around camp and still shine far enough to see what's ahead.
    I like the AA models for size/weight and easy to deal with batteries. Still plenty bright. I use either lithium (lightweight, good in cold) or rechargeable batteries. I've got a few 18650 li-ion lights/batteries and it doesn't seem worth the difference over AA to me.

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    I've got a few 18650 li-ion lights/batteries and it doesn't seem worth the difference over AA to me.
    H600 Mk II 18650 = 1090Lm/(2 hrs), 350Lm (3.9 hrs)
    H52 AA = 300Lm/(0.9 hrs)

I can see a difference that gives a 18650 light a huge benefit over the AA. It depends on what is more important to you.

Well ya, 18650 is great for brightness/runtime at full power, nice for handhelds to see long distance. But for a headlamp most of the time, usually around camp/tent max brightness isn't necessary, less than 100Lm is fine. For size, weight, brightness, I was just thinking the difference for that purpose isn't worth going 18650.

Been using the Princeton Tec Remix for a couple years now. No complaints here, very reliable, burn time is adequate. Solid light.

I would probably want more output if I was skiing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    This x 100. Anyone who pays real money for a headlamp and doesn't get a Zebralight is settling for second best.
    All the Zebralight love has me thinkin. Went to their site and they sound good. Price is right. Noticed they were made inTexas. How do they stand ip to the cold? (And by cold i mean -15 to -40 celsius range). Also, it looks like the light itself sits on the side of your head. Any observations with regards to this? And while i'm asking questions, what is the k a measure of (as in 4400k vs. 6300k)? I plead ignorance on this matter. Does it refer to the quality of light?

I always carry a spare headlamp myself. An indispensable piece of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    All the Zebralight love has me thinkin. Went to their site and they sound good. Price is right. Noticed they were made inTexas. How do they stand ip to the cold? (And by cold i mean -15 to -40 celsius range). Also, it looks like the light itself sits on the side of your head. Any observations with regards to this? And while i'm asking questions, what is the k a measure of (as in 4400k vs. 6300k)? I plead ignorance on this matter. Does it refer to the quality of light?

I always carry a spare headlamp myself. An indispensable piece of gear.
    I can't comment on how it's fitted to your head, but the Kelvin ratings basically just refer to the color temperature of the light produced. A higher k value will mean the light is bluer, even higher it gets purplish. In my opinion 5000k is the closest to white.

I always rocked the home depot energizer headlamp for like $20. They are awesome and brighter than any BD I've seen and I've never had one fuck up on me but damn those zebra lights looks sick!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

What's up with the need for a 100+ lum head lamp? Use a flashlight for that stuff. Headlamps are great for closer hands on stuff where 100lum is too much.

Several years on a Petzl Tikka and it is bombproof and the battery lasts quite awhile. I don't need a 100 lumins for reading a map, cooking food, or changing a tire.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    What's up with the need for a 100+ lum head lamp? Use a flashlight for that stuff. Headlamps are great for closer hands on stuff where 100lum is too much.

Several years on a Petzl Tikka and it is bombproof and the battery lasts quite awhile. I don't need a 100 lumins for reading a map, cooking food, or changing a tire.
    You're right in the sense that you don't need much light for the activities you mentioned. I was under the impression that this thread was referring to lamps for night skiing, biking, etc. where you need both hands and adequate time to react.