Warm/Non Heel Holding AT Boot

Going to be climbing/skiing Mt Bear in the St Elias Mountains in May and trying to figure out a boot situation problem. Hopefully someone else has/had the same problem as me and has found an AT boot (non tech bindings) that works for them.

For the people that have cold feet, what boot did you guys find that works well in cold temps? Did you decide to switch out stock liners with intuitions? Temps can dip to -30F during the time I will be climbing, my current setup becomes excruciatingly painful around 10F.

For people that had Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome from boots - any recommendations of boots that do not have such an aggressive heel holding molding?

Before the sarcastic remarks come about - yes I have tried on a lot of pairs of boots, been to multiple boot fitters and none of them felt comfortable in the heel. For my current setup (Salomon Quest 14) I had tons of work done to the ankle area to try to fix the compression of the nerve (didnt help) and had custom footbeds put in (also didnt help).

Consider trying the Dalbello Sherpa boots. I have problems with over the arch buckle boots i have the Dalbello Virus Lites and Intuitions there warm and comfortable.

Do u know about overboots from 40 Below? Some r designed to work with tech bindings, not sure about non tech at bindings. Doesn't solve your immediate problem but once u have a boot that fits 40 below should be your next step.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Do u know about overboots from 40 Below? Some r designed to work with tech bindings, not sure about non tech at bindings. Doesn't solve your immediate problem but once u have a boot that fits 40 below should be your next step.
    Nope never knew they made overboots for AT boots. Thanks. Now need to find a boot that doesnt compress my nerve.

Poke around on Wildsnow and look at the boot stuff they did for Denali for some ideas. Pretty sure they used the overboots harpo mentioned, as well as some other precautions/special fitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by bicpm View Post
    Did you decide to switch out stock liners with intuitions? Temps can dip to -30F during the time I will be climbing, my current setup becomes excruciatingly painful around 10F.
    You're definitely going to want intuition liners if its going to be cold...

Quote Originally Posted by bicpm View Post
    any recommendations of boots that do not have such an aggressive heel holding molding?
    Most AT boots are pretty high volume compared to alpine boots, so you should be able to find something that fits the bill. My suggestion is to go to a shop with lots of models and try them on, including shell fitting without the liner to get a feel for the volume around your ankle/heel.

[QUOTE=Powdurr;4166865]You're definitely going to want intuition liners if its going to be

When you mold these have the boot fitter tape something above(a piece of rope, boot fitting foam, etc) the sensitive area to offload it. If you can't handle this pressure during molding, have him scalpel or grind out a relief on the outside of the liner and then reglue the cover.