Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Vermont BackCountry Skiing development...

Pretty soon you'll be writing a check to the cool kids for access to a parking spot to ski the hill behind the post office. Brian and Emily can keep being the king and queen of vermont backcountry, goodman can write a new book, and Howard can circle jerk the lot.

Hugh's right. Skiing sucks now.
    #HughConwayMatters

What's worse? Skiing sucking or Hugh being right?

The parking lot nonsense was not at all what Brian actually said. Classic example of creative writing.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

What is the controversy?
    That more people are BC focussed?
    Can you blame them?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    The parking lot nonsense was not at all what Brian actually said. Classic example of creative writing.
    Having recently been misquoted by the press (in a Seven Days article...hmmmmm...) I can assure folks that the article should be taken with a BIG grain of salt.

This sounds really cool to me. Fuck buying lift tickets. This will likely have an impact on local search and rescue ops tho.

Im with the cock on this. Yay, a popular bc area where everyone shows up and hammers the pow. All set....

So much " monky see, monkey do" in the backcountry nowadays. go find your own line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

http://www.hankinmtn.com/

Would personally love to see something like this in New England. The amount of traffic the Sherburne and other old CCC trails see on a Saturday morning makes me believe that the user base is definitely out there. I think many folks would even pay a nominal fee (like that of a nordic center, for example) if some grooming and trail maintenance was provided to keep the skiing decent in tough times. Sure would be a nice option to have in times like this.

Definitely has it's obvious pros and cons, but I am for more organized efforts.

I think the Rochester movement is being pushed for economic development.... but I would love to see more places made available since it's only 10-15 minutes from me. There are so many great nearby mountains, and I rarely see other tracks. It would be nice to have some company... and snow!
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 01-25-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    What's worse? Skiing sucking or Hugh being right?
    If P then Q.
    #HughConwayMatters

I have been involved with the genesis of the backcountry alliance, and driving it is a diverse, committed and eminently sensible collection of folks, with a wide variety of views on backcountry access and use. We are working with the GMC and CTA. The state has been looking for an organization that can represent the interests of backcountry skiers as it seeks to develop use policies for public lands that address backcountry skiers. Anyone who thinks nothing would ever be different without such advocacy is absolutely mistaken. We can be part of the process or watch it roll over us without any consideration for our interests. I would encourage anyone who cares about backcountry skiing in Vermont in any way to become involved in this emerging group. The more and more varied perspectives represented in the organization, the better the results will be.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

What needs to be different? Can you not ski in state forest land anywhere you want as things are now? Just what is this "alliance" attempting to achieve?

Fuck it. I hate skiing now anyway. Too many trendy fucks in the backcountry giving puppy dog eyes to try and see if you're one of their internet buddies.
    #HughConwayMatters

build it and they will come. there. then go and thin out other stuff and shut the fuck up about it.

corral the sheep in one area. you get the rest.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post

rog
    This.

I'm perfectly OK with this idea.

and shut the fuck up about it.

rog
    I'd say you're a hoot but you're not. You're probably one of the least intelligent people I've ever seen post on the internet and you're a fucking hypocrite. You alone are more responsible than anyone or anything for the increase in traffic on "George".
    #HughConwayMatters

Quote Originally Posted by the Cock View Post
    I'd say you're a hoot but you're not. You're probably one of the least intelligent people I've ever seen post on the internet and you're a fucking hypocrite. You alone are more responsible than anyone or anything for the increase in traffic on "George".
    doesn't matter. I spewed the west side HARD so that my beloved and steeper east side became overlooked. it worked. now everyone wants to go west side even when there's no snow. I'd call that intelligent.

call me what you will , but yer a spineless little pussy bitch who won't meet me face to face and will cuntinue to hide behind yer little online persona.

I got yer name and number. heard yer a fairly good painter and are reasonable. I have work for you if ya want it. bitch

rog

yawn. who cares? if you're doing it right, you won't be within a league of this group hug.

and while i'm at it, can i say that I hate the comparisons between the development of BC skiing and that of MTB?

I have had at least 20 people trying to get me involved in this whole VT BC ski allianct tell me how BC skiing is light years behind MTB. BS. The truth is MTB is about 100 years behind piste skiing and has NOTHING to do with BC skiing

at the end of the day though, i find that most invovled with these sorts of things don't actually listen. it's been my experience at meetings on these sorts of things that most people just talk to hear themselves speak.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

ya man and if you can't be in the bc alone, then yer doin it wrong. vt, George, or anywhere else. ok maybe not the west side. YEEESSSSS!!!

rog

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    yawn. who cares? if you're doing it right, you won't be within a league of this group hug.

and while i'm at it, can i say that I hate the comparisons between the development of BC skiing and that of MTB?

I have had at least 20 people trying to get me involved in this whole VT BC ski allianct tell me how BC skiing is light years behind MTB. BS. The truth is MTB is about 100 years behind piste skiing and NOTHING to do with BC skiing

at the end of the day though, i find that most invovled with these sorts of things don't actually listen. it's been my experience at meetings on these sorts of things that most people just talk to hear themselves speak.
    Bingo!

...and Rog, that's nice and all, but I hung up my paint brush.
    #HughConwayMatters

and who gives a fuck about the mtb thing. untracked singletrack? bwaaah!

rog

...and Rog, that's nice and all, but I hung up my paint brush.
    painting is like riding a bike, cock

rog

painting is like riding a bike, cock

rog
    I'll paint your girlfriends face! Send pics for a quote.
    #HughConwayMatters

A quick glance over at Utah suggests that having a group that will defend the interests of backcountry skiers isn't a bad idea. Can the same group have an interest in development? Seems to me that these two goals could potentially be at odds.

What needs to be different? Can you not ski in state forest land anywhere you want as things are now? Just what is this "alliance" attempting to achieve?
    You could read what I wrote again and answer your own question, but I will put it another way.

State and federal policy will change with or without skier input. This group intends to work to preserve access and influence policy to make sure backcountry skiers can continue to use public lands as well as to work with landowners to open more private lands to this use. Without a seat at the table, what we can do now is not what we will be able to do in the future, and the changes that WILL come will likely not be ones we like.