Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I rode my bike to the coast this morning because I wanted to see the big waves. Surfline said 20 feet at Tunitas Creek, which is the easiest place for me to bike to. It was cool, but it didn't look like Mavericks. I am a kook.
    I've driven by ocean beach a few times during this surge and so far am underwhelmed by the size

^^^ Monday was solid. Swell dropped a lot by Tuesday. Sometimes these long period 18 plus second swells won’t stand up on a beach. Even one like OB. It takes a deep water reef to make these waves respond.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I rode my bike to the coast this morning because I wanted to see the big waves. Surfline said 20 feet at Tunitas Creek, which is the easiest place for me to bike to. It was cool, but it didn't look like Mavericks. I am a kook.
    Where do you live that Tunitas is the closest spot on a bike? For some reason I thought The Suit was from a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^ Monday was solid. Swell dropped a lot by Tuesday. Sometimes these long period 18 plus second swells won’t stand up on a beach. Even one like OB. It takes a deep water reef to make these waves respond.

Where do you live that Tunitas is the closest spot on a bike? For some reason I thought The Suit was from a city.
    Palo Alto. It's probably quicker to ride out 92 to Half Moon Bay, but traffic makes 92 much less pleasant.

And (assuming I understand what 'stand up' means in this context) you're exactly right -- the tops of the waves were just falling over in a bunch of whitewater, instead of the pretty barrels I was imagining. They were doing it pretty far off the beach, and it was cool to be able to identify the bigger sets from well offshore, but it was still a bit of a letdown relative to my expectations.

Can't complain about a beautiful bike ride before work, though.

I bet that ride is nice. Way more than me. I’d bike as far a from one of those barns in the valley there.

Oh are also pretty high on the cliffs above the beach there. Even when you are down on the bridge. It is hard to see things at scale unless there are people in the water. Or a boat at least nearby. I’ve surfed that beach before and it is always much bigger than it looks from the road. That is a pretty killer beach to walk btw.