Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    When me and my buddies got shot at when we were skiing. Time slowed down and I could watch the bullets fly by in slow motion.
    Yeah, I once had a shit-talking gangbanger empty all 16 rounds out of a Baretta 92F 9mm at me and 2 others from about 75 feet away. The slugs hit a decorative low brick wall in front of my legs and windows to my left and above me...so like a backward letter C around us.

Anyhoo, I've always said that time slowed down so much I'm certain I could literally see the slugs coming at me. I've talked to a couple of other people that experienced the same thing, so I damn sure believe you. At least the extreme puckering did keep me from shitting or pissing myself, so it wasn't all bad. Oh, and the spray and prayer missed...and he got 30 years of ass-raping...er, I mean prison.

Insane. End of thread. On the pilotmag.

ptsd!!!! from lookin up the barrels of a 12 double or falling down no fall chutes these memories still wake me at night!!! but i would do the worst shit twice to let it be me and not someone i love!!!!

Maybe weak sauce by comparison, but, many years ago when I was about 20, I saw a really cool race boat while I was out cycling. After a night out with my girlfriend I got the bright idea that I wanted to show it to her. It was about 3 in the morning. Drove down to the boatyard. Was in the middle of trying to make a k turn when my girlfriend grabs my arm and almost starts crying in complete terror. She is looking straight ahead, I'm like wtf is the matter with you. I look up and there is some 60yr. old looking, 300lb. fat dude standing up close and personal in my headlights, buck fucking naked, pointing a shotgun at us. I'm thinking, "Fuck me, So this is how it ends". Ungriped myself, showed the guy my hands, said "I am just trying to be on my way", slowly finished my turn and got the hell out of there.

That's an image I can't suppress enough. I think I'll facebook my 30yr. ex and remind her of the good times.

Years later I was telling the story to some people and one of them says, "Oh, I know of that guy, that was retarded Charlie, he was the night watchman"

The other one was in Utah at the end of the ski day. 70 mph gusts came up through canyon and blew an empty chairlift off. I could not see anything and did not know about the downed chair. thought for a few minutes that they had shut chairs down and forgot about me since I was alone. I Started yelling and ski patrol came by after about a half hour to pull us down off the chairs. Shitty part was with wind it was pushing -25 and I really did think they had just shut chairs down since it was 5 pm
    They did a great job pulling 12 of us off the lifts. After we got in the cat this guy from nitro circus asks if he can be the guy they use for practice chairlift rescues, classic since he was serious
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

2018/2019 (24/32)

Professionally 2 many to recount. Skiing, fell through the cliffs on skiers right of big tongue couloir at big sky 22 yrs ago. Trying to protect my brand new skis on the scree field. Down hill ski hooked up and as I high sided time stopped. I thought, I just orphaned my 1 yr old. Banged my noggin on the first tomahawk in the rocks, came to going 50 on my back at the bottom. 2 broken skis, 2 broken boots, 2 wasted poles. Multiple cuts bruises and abrasions but nothing permanent. The people on the chair started a voice chain to the top to get patrol instead of heckling me.

I went back like 10 yrs later, shaking like a leaf above the totally mellow entrance.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

pulled my dislocated finger back into socket on monday.
    kids nearby watched as i gripped that finger and popped it back together.
    one young buck passed out while i was showing off my limp digit before the big pull.
    b

pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

i did not fart or shit my pants, no body else would pull.
    b

Rolled a car 50 km south of the Yukon border on the Cassiar Highway which was closed 50 km further down the road, so no help coming north. Temp was about -35c, windy, batteries in my radio phone were cold and dead. I was about to light the car on fire for warmth at dusk, temp dropped to -45. Finally a trucker who made it passed the Good Hope Lake closure came by and picked me up after 4 hours without seeing anyone. It was a creepy feeling. Dude had no pants on, I found that weird. Kept all my winter gear on in case I had to get out of there in a hurry.

Thankfully I was heading down there to do field work and had all my warm gear. Then I got drunk for 3 days in Watson Lake when they thawed my car out. The real puckering came after when the company I worked for got a bill for 14k in damages... and I didn't get the extra insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    one young buck passed out while i was showing off my limp digit before the big pull.
    b
    got go-pro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

gripping hard is a good thing when accepting a ride from a rogue, pantless trucker in the middle of canuckistan. drinking afterwards must have been quite therapeutic.
    b

Probably when I first started skiing Magic. Some of the trails have pretty legit chute sections just inundated with trees and rocks and I remember standing on top of one for a good 2 mins once.. calculating of course.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Back in the day in 1995, when I was in high school in NYC, my buddy and I went to a weed spot on 103rd and Broadway. It was a Jamaican "health food' store, go figure, and you had to ring a buzzer to get inside. Anyway, we ring the buzzer and I stepped in first. When I looked back over my shoulder at my friend I saw a gang of like 6 or 7 dudes in ski masks rushing in behind him with two glock 9's. They had a gun to each of our heads and told the proprietors of said Jamaican health food store to open up the back (for those of you who've never been to a ghetto weed spot, there's typically a huge plexiglass divider between the guys with the weed in the back and the customers/potential gunmen in the front) or they'd shoot us. Eventually, after much yelling, screaming, and threatening, the Jamaican dudes opened up the back and the ganja banditos forced us back there and made us all lie on the ground on top of each other.

So there I am, in the back of the weed spot laying on the ground in a pile on top of three Jamaican dudes figuring this is how it ends. With two glocks trained on us, the banditos demand all the cash and and all the weed in the store. After hemming and hawing for a bit, and after having a gun put to the side of my head to force the issue, the Jamaican guys finally tell the ganja banditos where the shit is. They took a stack of banded $20s that was as big as a softball, emptied two medium sized cardboard boxes of dub sacks of shitty weed into their pockets, and bid us good day. For a few minutes there I thought I'd end up as a chalk outline on the floor of a drug spot, every parent's wish for their kid, but all's well that ends well. There's a whole lot more to the story involving parents and NYC detectives, but this is getting into TL;DR territory. Anywho, the worst part was that we couldn't even get a sack to calm the nerves after the whole ordeal 'cause there was none left.

That was the most gripped I'd ever been until my wife told me we were pregnant with #3 only 11 months after #2 was born, who, in turn, was born 11 months after #1. Now that shit is scary.

^^^irish triplets!!!!!!!!

no semen control can lead to living things.
    b

b
    i've done that before: "just pull it out, and twist it up and over".
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

b
    Now you tell me.

!!!!!And Slag, how'd you know I was Irish?!!!!!

[QUOTE=PlayItLeo;4164984] "...and the ganja banditos forced us back there and made us all lie on the ground on top of each other."

Hmmm, sounds kinda gay. They must have been the homoerotic variety of hijackers.
    NTTAWWT, of course.

Prob driving my 14' Hyside into the meat of the ledge hole in Lava Falls at 25K cfs.

Booting up right gully in Tuckerman Ravine, near the top, a snowboarder came flying over the roll......... on his back, at me. Some how he stopped about 5 feet above me. If he hadn't. he would have knocked me off the bootpack into what would have been a 700' tomahawking, slide with skis on my back, quite possible into large rocks. Years earlier I'd seen a snowboarder fall on this samline, and quite literally break his board in half when he crashed feet first into the rocks at the bottom. If he had gone in head first, he'd have died for sure.

I didn't move for five minutes, until my heart and breathing slowed to normal rates. I don't ski tucks on the weekend any more.

I think being "gripped" requires a decision point right in front of you. Having a gun pointed at you, or spinning out on ice means you've lost all control of the situation and creates a state of mind very different from being gripped.

I guess my own is similar to the OP. Standing atop an inbounds cliff (in this case somewhere far skiers left of Paradise at MRG) , alone in a snowstorm, and realizing that it's after 4pm. The hissing of the falling snow, thinking of how it would cover my body if I blew it somehow, realizing that I couldn't even hike out, because of the post holing and smaller cliff above me that I'd just come over.

This was a long time ago, I don't even really remember how I made it, but I do remember the fear.

It's all very subjective. Car accidents, getting robbed by soldiers or cops, being hassled in the hood, none made me as scared as that experience.

b
    Just have her ride on top, I hear they can't get pregnant that way.

Ok, I'll be serious.

1. Getting slid over and through the Poison Spider chutes in Telluride. I was real lucky, I was tossed off a 30 foot cliff, banged up against a tower of rocks, and buried up to my neck once the slide stopped. I lost a ski and the other one was severely bent. I was over exposure and there was a strainer of trees not much further from where I rested. The fracture was to the ground and about 100 feet above me, the crown was probably 5 feet deep or so.

2. A few slides for life back in 94 in Whitefish. One was close to NBC, a lost my edges on the icy steeps, fell over and ended up sliding mach looney head first on my back for hundreds of feet. I remember looking up at the sky watching trees and rocks all around me blow by.

3. Climbing the Grand when I had no business being on a mountain that big, this was around 99 I think. My friends got ahead of me and a lightning storm rolled in just after and below the rappel. I got off course and bombed my way towards Idaho with lightning exploding all around me. I made my way back to the low saddle all right but for a while I thought I was going to die for sure.

4. Getting rolled on the Colorado River in 2008, I was held under the flipped boat for a good amount of time, I am not a water person. That shit was scary.

5. Stand off with a mountain lion. My dog got into her den, she had a confrontation with momma and then came running back to me. The cat came too, she jumped up onto a 10 foot tall boulder about 25 feet away from me and screamed at me for about 2 minutes, after beating a huge log against the ground and acting like a guerilla trying to scare the kitty I realized she wasn't going to back off, we had to slowly walk away facing her, that one was really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Prob driving my 14' Hyside into the meat of the ledge hole in Lava Falls at 25K cfs.
    That is nuts! Lava is not a rapid to fuck with.