Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Actually, we have very good daily weather data records starting in around the 1660's in England, and since around 1710's in York Factory and Churchill (Hudsons Bay Company). The HBC data from the trading forts have been especially valuable as global climate changes are exacerbated in the arctic and sub-arctic regions.
    A little Anglo centric there, aren't we? The world was a little bigger than those few places, although the sun rarely set on the Empire for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, first of all, you don't have data from the "past century or two". Our national weather agency was established in 1869. Hey, I'm no statistician, but, c'mon.
    Let me help you out with the math, man, because you're not a statistician. 1869 is almost certainly the definition of "a century or two" ago. And I'm sure there are data sources going back substantially further than that. As far as I know, people in that business publish stuff using ice core data that go back many thousands of years almost all the time. I work with shittier data every single fucking day of my life.

Aside from penis size, I can not think of something that mankind has been measuring more frequently and more obsessively than the weather.

Arguing that the statistical power of these forecasts is insufficient is a technical claim. You can't just pull stuff out of your ass, shrug your shoulders and say "I'm not a statistician," and pretend that your opinion is valid.

A little Anglo centric there, aren't we? The world was a little bigger than those few places, although the sun rarely set on the Empire for a time.
    You were discussing modern, reliable & longterm surface weather conditions records. And stated that records of polar ice extent was only a few decade old. You do know that data can be corroberated and then extrapolated to apply to a greater spatial extent over a much greater timeframe, right? But hey, keep on trollin'

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Why do you guys read shit like Collapse? So bleak. I would rather watch my son get lured into a creepy ice cream truck than read bloated treatises about how we are suiciding ourselves.

Maybe I listened to too much David Lee Roth as a youth but I am fine with just enjoying myself and admiring beautiful women and running out my own personal clock. I dont want to hear about how I am nominated for Best Supporting Actor in an extinction event.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    ^ Let's throw a few #'s out just for fun.
    The time since the first homosapien appeared 4 million year+-.
    Number of thousand year flood, droughts, hurricanes, etc, during this time frame.

4,000,000/1000=4000

So the 100yr floods and storms and and the like, have happened 40,000 times since homosapiens have been around.

If you follow all the doomsday logic mankind should never have been able to exist.

Given enough time chicken little will always be right ( see meteorites and asteroids ).
    If strummer is one in a million, there are 7000 strummers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Let me help you out with the math, man, because you're not a statistician. 1869 is almost certainly the definition of "a century or two" ago. And I'm sure there are data sources going back substantially further than that. As far as I know, people in that business publish stuff using ice core data that go back many thousands of years almost all the time. I work with shittier data every single fucking day of my life.

Aside from penis size, I can not think of something that mankind has been measuring more frequently and more obsessively than the weather.

Arguing that the statistical power of these forecasts is insufficient is a technical claim. You can't just pull stuff out of your ass, shrug your shoulders and say "I'm not a statistician," and pretend that your opinion is valid.
    There are data sources going back substantially after that? Now,who's pulling stuff out of their ass? Please elaborate. Name me these sources. Hell, just a hundred years before that, Captain Cook was sailing off from Britain to discover far off lands that most of civilized humanity didn't even know existed. It was like travelling to space, although we had a much better idea what our astronauts were travelling to than the merchants of England did trying to find trade routes.

Read my post. Meterological data is very incomplete until the mid 20th century. Sorry. Penis size has a much longer and wider data base. Heh. Longer and wider.

Hugh Conway Guest
    did you gift your account to some troll like mrw? seriously, what's wrong with you benny?

Shut up Hugh. I'm riffing here. On a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    Because, after all, if a white man wasn't there and wrote it down, there's pretty much no way to know anything at all.
    Pretty much. Can't get data from petroglyphs.

spook Guest
    Well, I guess Spook hasn't read that stuff either.

i've read so much of that shit and other shit like it that i honestly don't give a shit anymore. humans aren't the best thing that ever ended up on planet earth and when they're gone nobody will care.

You are a bright, beaming light of hope and grace for all the rest of us here, Spook. Please never stop posting such witty bon mots.

spook Guest
    You are a bright, beaming light of hope and grace for all the rest of us here, Spook. Please never stop posting such witty bon mots.
    i just answered your bullshit honestly. i didn't say you had to stop jacking yourself off with what you think you know.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    i just answered your bullshit honestly. i didn't say you had to stop jacking yourself off with what you think you know.
    But, but, Spook, you never attempted to explain the facts you are so well read on to poor Benny. Please try. I'm so lost in the desert of denial.

spook Guest
    But, but, Spook, you never attempted to explain the facts you are so well read on to poor Benny. Please try. I'm so lost in the desert of denial.
    but i don't care. the biggest part of not giving a shit is not giving a shit.

Then why are you bothering?

spook Guest
    i'm not. you are.

Ha. I saw Ted Cruz do that on TV the other day. Talk about denial.

spook Guest
    show me what facts i have alleged in this thread that you don't understand, benny.

Spook, c'mon. This is absurd. You never went beyond you short little two line, what you think is witty, insults. Try harder.

spook Guest
    right, so what the fuck are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Why do you guys read shit like Collapse? So bleak.
    Bullshit. You think so because of the book's name? It's anything but.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    Bullshit. You think so because of the book's name? It's anything but.
    Truth, Diamond expresses hope. I don't see it but he does.

spook Guest
    armageddon only sells well among godnuts

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    but i don't care. the biggest part of not giving a shit is not giving a shit.
    leave the shit.
    b

spook Guest
    i guess it is selfish of me to horde all the shit