Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mini Review DPS's 14-15 Wailer 105 Ski

So last year at OR I was talking to Marshal about the new skis and he mentioned they were working on a new Wailer 105. I had talked to Marshal a few times over the year and shot him a email a few weeks ago asking how things were going. He replied back and said we have some built come by and check them out. So I stopped by and wow they were cool traditional tip think xxl/axiom/pow plus with a tapered tail not Cham 107 taper but more like the old rossi axiom. Skis have tip rocker not a ton but enough for this type of ski and a bit of tail kick. When I flexed the ski I would say same underfoot has the helldorado a bit stiffer in the tip and tail. In they Hybrid version it has two sheets of metal. I was impressed and a bit taken back thinking this ski would kick my trash by how stiff it flexed. I ask Marshal when one might be available to demo, he says we have a prototype version you can ski. They are testing some different lay ups. The version I skied had a bit less tip rocker (perfect for the day I skied it) two sheets of metal poplar core (I could be wrong on this) And Carbon fiber instead of fiber glass.
    The dims of the ski are 136-105-119 with a progressive 24 to 28 m radius. The Pair I picked up to ski new with a great tune. Finish work was awesome on these they could have come out of some big factory in Euroland. Again hand flexing this thing I was worried I would get worked, Im a 38 year father of 3 who is a bit fat and doesn't ski as much as I used to.

Review
    Me 5'8" 198
    Laid back advance expert skier used to charge harder but still can.
    Similar skis I have liked 187 xxl, Axioms, 185 Helldorado, 180 Explosiv, Stokli Asteroid/Stormrider DP, Cham 107
    Skis I did not Like that are similar Nordica Blower 193, I did not love the 190 explosiv
    Test Brighton resort last Saturday, no new snow firm groomers, bumps, chalky to soft off piste stuff, to refrozen nasty stuff. So I drop my daughter off a ski school. and head to Great western. The snow is not great so I start off on groomer. As I take off Im a bit lazy and not on the ski and they don't love the back seat driving. I adjust centered they ski betther then I push the front of my boots and wow here we go. I start making turns and they rip and grip. They have a smooth feel and some nice rebound to them. Im impressed. We drop off trail on what looked nice but its refrozen mank, to smooth frozen snow. I move to a more centered stance and the skis handles well, I can go from carving to smearing with just a bit of effort.
    We did find some soft snow all be it shallow cut up snow the ski turned smooth through those conditions as long as you stay centered to forward. I also skied some steeper section with some good old billy goating and they were great. The swing weight and moutning point felt well balanced for the ski. The ride of this ski is great it was damp but lively some might want a bit more dampness. It was over all a quit ride, I did notice some feed back through refrozen snow more than some skis I have skied but the lively attributes I will takeover more dampness. I would love to see how this skis through good crud, It may need a bit more tip rocker than this version I had and the final ski will have more rocker.
    Pros
    I think the combo of classic and modern feel was balanced fun and easier to ski then it flexed. The groomer performance is great I thought better than the Helldorados and the Chams. It finished turns better than the chams on groomers, and it had no tip flap unlike the 184 chams. Firm conditions this ski was great. Also easy to manage through firm bumps I would not want to ski a bump line but this ski was good in them. I need to ski this ski in softer conditions to see how it floats and goes through softer crud.
    Con Could be a damper and some may say it has to much side cut.
    For what this ski is it was incredible.
    I liked the turn radius and this with a ski over 115 mm and more rocker for pow days and a park ski for skiing with my kids could be my 3 ski quiver. I want to ski it some more and most likely this will be in my quiver next season.
    Thanks for letting me ski this Marshal I did not want to give them back.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Have you skied the old version of the Wailer 105? If so, curious to hear your comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Heard from a friend who skied this at OR yesterday. Said it was best ski of this type he's tried since the early rockered Katana

I have not skied it. I'm sure Marshal will chime in after the trade shows are done.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com

I have the older W105's pures, and was also told next years W105 is/will be nothing like them- see description by yeti. Resort charger for sure.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Lengths?

I was hoping this would be a skinnier replacement for my Katanas

I'm getting even antsier to get on these now
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

178 & 185 in either pure3 or the new metal construction aka hybrid T2.

They are working on a 191 charger edition of this ski as well. It will be stiffer with a bigger turn radius.

www.levelninesports.com

Oooh. ..
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    strong review your good a it
    your skis are all done
    1 helicoil in the heel of your no longer imdemified binders
    and didn't see brakes
    anybody ever tell ya your a gear whore?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Weights?

185 W105 could be a perfect do-it-all touring ski for the PNW...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Heard this was in the works and cannot be happier! Will be ordering this summer! Brilliant! The Wailed 105 reborn! Stoked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Weights?

185 W105 could be a perfect do-it-all touring ski for the PNW...
    And on this side too!

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    strong review your good a it
    your skis are all done
    1 helicoil in the heel of your no longer imdemified binders
    and didn't see brakes
    anybody ever tell ya your a gear whore?
    Thanks
    Brakes should be on your bench I will look for them when I come in. Yea I have a purchasing problem.

www.levelninesports.com

The 185cm Wailer 105 in Hybrid T2 construction should come in right around or just under 2300 grams. Glad you enjoyed them, wait until you try out the production version if you're looking for something with a slightly damper, more refined snow feel.

^^And the 185 pure?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^And the 185 pure?
    Not an exact number, but the 185 Pure will come in around 1900 grams.

will the 191 be available next season or is that still a ways out?

Is the W105 the green one in this pic or is it red ski between W112 and w99?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ben37arCQAAcDeN.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	149102

It's the red ski is the 105 the green one is the wailer 95 I believe

www.levelninesports.com

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    will the 191 be available next season or is that still a ways out?

Is the W105 the green one in this pic or is it red ski between W112 and w99?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ben37arCQAAcDeN.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	149102
    Helluva line up.

Fondled the pure and hybrid 105 at ispo. The hybrd with metal is very,very stiff. The pure remembers my old black 105, maybe a bit stiffer.

For how stiff it flexed it skied awesome not as hard as you would think. But you had to stay on it when you did it was stable and easy to ski.

www.levelninesports.com

^^^ And a good one. Will have both Hybrid and Pure for next year if funds allow or just Pure. That and a Pure Lotus 120 Spoon. Short Pure W99 184's as my steep n narrow chuters already in the quiver and that should do it. Quiver complete. Done. Let's go skiing.