Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Praxis Carving Skis

http://www.praxisskis.com/products/snd.html

Part of me feels like buying these would be giving up on this winter. The other loves the shit out these graphics and thinks If I buy a pair it will snow everyday until may.

I like the graphic. Dumb I know but something that is important to my pea brain.

Ordered up a stiff carbon SND. If it starts snowing tomorrow and doesn't quit, perfect. If it doesn't I'll at least enjoy the corn and corderoy for what is left of the year here.

The park n ride looks like an awesome bump ski
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I might by a pair, wash the car and I am going mtn biking tomorrow and SUPing the next day in an effort to break this drought and enjoy the outdoors.

(Rose was icy as all hell today even at 1:30pm; these skis would've been nice to have.)

Seriously, 1-1/4 hours of the three runs open at Mt Rose today was enough. My Praxis Concept, Freeride, and MVP do well enough but are far more versatile for what I like to ski. Maybe I'll cave in....or carve in.

I realize I've added nothing constructive to this thread. It's been one of those days.
    Last edited by Jim S; 01-21-2014 at 12:33 AM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the Park n Ride is just a Pipeline with slightly less camber and a slightly rearward mount...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the Park n Ride is just a Pipeline with slightly less camber and a slightly rearward mount...
    I thought I noticed different turning radius as well.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using TGR Forums
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Appears to be lighter (in the 171), bootcenter moved back 2cm, slightly less camber, and shorter sizes available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    I like the graphic. Dumb I know but something that is important to my pea brain.

Ordered up a stiff carbon SND. If it starts snowing tomorrow and doesn't quit, perfect. If it doesn't I'll at least enjoy the corn and corderoy for what is left of the year here.
    I appreciate aesthetics as well. Did you go short or long. I have an 88m park/allmountain ski I never ride, so this SND is more interesting to me as a directional hard snow ripper. Hopefully going to get to ride my buddies Kendo's this weekend and see if this type of ski does it for me at all.

Obviously let us know your thoughts.

and FWIW, This past weekend I skied the GPOs on glare ice (with groomer tracks frozen into them) covered in 1-2" of crushed ice that accumulated on the sides of the trails. Its was a fun game. Go straight until you hit a pile of scarped off ice, slash a turn or two, and then go straight again. Still had fun, with the exception of chair lift rides explaining these ridiculously inappropriate skis. Skiing, even when its bad, it still better than most other things in life.
    Last edited by Shu Shu; 01-21-2014 at 10:17 AM.

I love praxis, but I don't get it. If I want to carve then the race stock sub 70 waist comes out.

Sent from my Tandy 1000

I thought the Kendo was a great ski. Just wish it had indie durability.

Personally, I like mid-80s for high pressure. Gives you some width for bumped up groomers and mid-day slush. Less reactive, too, when you want to haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I thought the Kendo was a great ski. Just wish it had indie durability.

Personally, I like mid-80s for high pressure. Gives you some width for bumped up groomers and mid-day slush. Less reactive, too, when you want to haul.
    Completely agree with the above... I have race skis, but they are truly one dimensional - icy or perfectly groomed runs is where they excel... If the runs get a bit banged up and beat up the 70 something race skis suck... To date my favorite zoomer groomer ripper are my 187 IM 78s that hook up like a bitch, but still are a blast in junked up snow and bumps... I also lent my 193 Praxis MVPs to an instructor friend and I rode his new Elans that were low 80s underfoot and really liked them...

I totally dig this new ski and think they will be added next year and should compliment my 192 GPOs and 193 MVPs nicely... And have to admit the top sheets are titties on the SND...

Exchanegd emails with Keith late this afternoon and decided to go glass instead of carbon for the damp of wood. 185s. Unsure what I will do for boots and binders. This pair may yet get me back into an alpine plug boot.

After today I am actually worried about having any snow to use them on a month from now here. It is bleak. Typically late May conditons right now at Crystal. Fun skiing today but a little frightening how fast it will all be gone if things don't change soon.

I am a recent Praxis convert and was looking at the SND for fun time on less than near decent conditions.

Have 7 days on a 13/14 184 Freeride in med-stiff/no carbon.. and really like the ski. Mounted +1 and love the pop the ski delivers with excellent stability without being too damp but wishing for more sidecut. Have had it in 4" of wet heavy mank to 30" of cold smoke and lots of in between and it's very versatile. Come to realize that your just not gonna get a 100 plus under foot ski to cut quick enough to make a difference in frozen, re-frozen or porcelain, especially in the bang bang push piles that develop on the narrow trails and trees in the NE.

Hate being pigeon holed all day by a slc ski so the answer in the past has been a mid 80's low 90's system ski like an atomic blackeye and savage. These tools are heavier (for a variety of reasons) and track very well in dicey "loose granular" or worse conditions.

Thinking the SND could be a nice compromise between light-n-poppy with carvability and tractable. Or would I be happy with the 9D8?

Top sheet has always meant the least in the decision making process.

Rode the K2 Four for a couple of years. Couldn't get uglier than that, err maybe the Elan mbx back in the day.

I always felt like 98mm skis were a bit too wide for firm days. I'd go SND.

Skied a short 80mm hard yesterday in just about every Spring lift served conditon known to man, short of new fluff. Water ice to mank and a few tons of freshly harvested corn for 30K+ vert feet. Life was good.

Anybody been on the SND? It has been removed from the site, hoping it will be back for the '15 custom sale. I need a carving ski to complement the superbros.
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

S&D will be back shortly. They look good in the pictures

https://www.facebook.com/#!/RahlvesB...type=1&theater

Thanks Dane - Kieth confirmed via email yesterday.

Have you enjoyed yours?
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Nick, sorry I missed this earlier. I bought the longer size. Really, really like them. Nice ice skate and easy as pie on corn. Work well in stop and go traffic and on the freeway. Solid. Such a traditional ski. all camber and no rocker, early rise stuff going on. But still, dare I say it? Playful. Perfect for what I wanted and so, so easy to turn, rail or scream full tilt on them. Way more ski than I thought it might be. And way more fun that it likely should be.

I haven't been on a good shaped ski in a while and have to wonder at this point why not! S&D is a really fun ski!

Now..just to throw a wrench in all that I am skiing them with Speed Rads and a TLT6 with a green tongue. Not everyone's cup of tea, including mine if I had a choice. But it all works extremely well as is. Imagine how much better a set of plug boots and a alpine binding might do on this ski :-) Insurance is on the way up because these things have no speed limit I can find as of yet. At some point even I wonder just when the Speeds are going blow up! At mock looney the mess won't be pretty.

Not going to be the ski that fails however. If the numbers add up for you I wouldn't think too hard...just get yourself pair. My guess anyone wanting a solid carver will be pretty happy with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Nick, sorry I missed this earlier. I bought the longer size. Really, really like them. Nice ice skate and easy as pie on corn. Work well in stop and go traffic and on the freeway. Solid. Such a traditional ski. all camber and no rocker, early rise stuff going on. But still, dare I say it? Playful. Perfect for what I wanted and so, so easy to turn, rail or scream full tilt on them. Way more ski than I thought it might be. And way more fun that it likely should be.

I haven't been on a good shaped ski in a while and have to wonder at this point why not! S&D is a really fun ski!

Now..just to throw a wrench in all that I am skiing them with Speed Rads and a TLT6 with a green tongue. Not everyone's cup of tea, including mine if I had a choice. But it all works extremely well as is. Imagine how much better a set of plug boots and a alpine binding might do on this ski :-) Insurance is on the way up because these things have no speed limit I can find as of yet. At some point even I wonder just when the Speeds are going blow up! At mock looney the mess won't be pretty.

Not going to be the ski that fails however. If the numbers add up for you I wouldn't think too hard...just get yourself pair. My guess anyone wanting a solid carver will be pretty happy with this one.
    Hey Dane, any more input on the SND? Have you spent some good time on them?

guess you ended up with glass/stiff/185... how do you like them flying down the groomers?

btw, what's your size? I'm sure it's here somewhere but I'm too lazy to search!

rethinking my quiver for next season and these are on my radar for the skinny... was thinking I'd go 88mm, but might end up going skinnier!

6'1" 190. I got the 185, stiff and glass. Haven't skied on a shaped ski in a while and really enjoyed them skiing @ Crystal and Alpental/Sno prior to coming back to Cham. Didn't bring them here. So not much time on them.

I did get a few fun days on them and really enjoyed the ski. Want to ski it more. But won't be back till mid May but really hopeing to get back to Crystal for some frozen up early morning corn on their corduroy. I had way more fun on this ski than I ever expected I might. Have a pair Blizzard Brahma to ski when I get back. Should be a fun comparison. Found the S&D way more fun, more lively under my foot, equally as damp on hard snow, for me than the Ex 88 fwiw. Many friends on the 88 as a skinny ski. Prefer the S&D between the two.
    Last edited by Dane1; 04-16-2014 at 05:49 AM.

^^thanks! Interested to hear back on Brahma vs SND
    Last edited by mfa81; 04-16-2014 at 06:33 AM.

My comments about May conditions were posted mid Jan. Apental either had just opened or was just about to open in mid Jan. It was another month before we got 11 feet of snow in a week to make things normal again.

I have been so impressed with my MVPs and GPOs and since my Head IM78s are on their last legs I ordered 185 SNDs in standard flex and glass, but went with the surfed topsheet... So stoked...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I have been so impressed with my MVPs and GPOs and since my Head IM78s are on their last legs I ordered 185 SNDs in standard flex and glass, but went with the surfed topsheet... So stoked...
    surf trip topsheet is so cool!