Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    The high cost mentioned earlier might involve a septic inside a flood plain? Proximity to sensitive areas is one thing, but (ime) septic in a flood plain is a super expensive hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I've dowsed/witched plenty of times using metal rods and there's no doubt in my mind that you can feel the rods move, I've felt it myself. I'm not so sure it finds water necessarily, my pet theory is that it detects variations in grarvitational or magnetic fields, which might be a vein of water or something else, like a buried car.

One time we were looking for an old septic tank that there were no drawings for and found a buried 1940's-era round metal picnic table first. Once we dug and realized it was the wrong thing we went back to dowsing and found the tank 50 feet away in 10 minutes. It's weird but the rods do move.
    A friend showed me how to hold and use (2) 90° bent survey flag wires to locate an underground electrical line. It was a weird, but definite sensation that worked.

Freedom living sure is expensive!

How about screw the man and environment, and drill a rathole? Couldn't make your well any worse than city tap water, and they sure do work good!

Value, sure. But data from surrounding sites isn't necessarily gonna translate to your property as water moves in odd directions underground. The only way to get the data would be to keep testing as you drill, which would slow shit way down and be very expensive. Or I suppose you could take samples as you go, get them all tested, and then grout the well back in to get up to the level where the good water was, which seems kinda crazy too.
    True, but in our 'neighborhood' there is clearly a difference between the water in the level our shallow well feeds/fed off of and 200' plus levels. Up until now it's been a quality vs larger volume trade off.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The high cost mentioned earlier might involve a septic inside a flood plain? Proximity to sensitive areas is one thing, but (ime) septic in a flood plain is a super expensive hassle.

no flood plain that i'm aware of. watershed management rehab stream supporting salmon habitat, impossibly steep mountainside on the other side of the creek which contains the majority of their property, road right of way almost to the house, no suitable soil, tons of escarpments on the house side of the creek. no room for a drainfield of any normal type. the guy who worked in their county for 30+ years said it was the most difficult site he'd ever seen. they still haven't figured out what they're going to do.

and given where they live, i would guess there are dozens if not hundreds of people in pretty much the same situation at least as far as failing septic systems. lots of steel tanks installed in an area that is totally saturated during the rainy months.

I say we go back to the jamesp on jamespio violence!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    I say we go back to the jamesp on jamespio violence!
    It's all about the io, apparently.

It's all about the io, apparently.
    It's never about overpriced, fashion statement goggles.

Definitely a step closer to pulling the trigger this morning after reviewing the roperty description and the septic approval. It's close to skiing, mountain biking, some climbing, some mediocre-to-decent flyfishing (would be considered awesome flyfishing anywhere other than the northern rockies) and a great jumping off and recovery point for epic backcountry trips in any season.

catsup ketchup

Do you have something showing who designed the septic? You should call them and see if you can get their honest opinion. And maybe call a local well driller and get a rough estimate.

We're thinking alike, toast. Yes, I have the engineer's drawings which includes the name. I also have a call in to a friend who geo-tech work including driling, but not for domestic wells (he does mointoriing wells and the like), but I know he has done a bunch of foundation work in the same area of hte state.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    It's never about overpriced, fashion statement goggles.

Definitely a step closer to pulling the trigger this morning after reviewing the roperty description and the septic approval. It's close to skiing, mountain biking, some climbing, some mediocre-to-decent flyfishing (would be considered awesome flyfishing anywhere other than the northern rockies) and a great jumping off and recovery point for epic backcountry trips in any season.
    Sold!!!
    throw in a composting toilet if shit gets rocky w/ the septic? Would that be an option, if it went that way? But it sounds like it could be fine.