Touring options around whitefish?

Gonna be headed to whitefish from Bozeman tomorrow to meet a group of buddies for some cat-skiing on Fri. Hoping to get some turns wed/thurs and looking for some backcountry options or maybe just hit resort if backcountry isn't worth it . Or if anyone wants to show a splitboarder around beers are on me. Been riding backcountry for 15 yrs, got gear, blah blah blah. Thanks guys, appreciate any feedback

I was out there earlier this year. Pm kevino. It's awesome out there. Easy access not many people and a fat snowpack. Locals say to stay away from the ski area and ride the swans or flathead ranges.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

search function jong.....

there's been multiple threads this year about touring in the area.

Head east up US 2. Try Cascadilla, Wahoo, and Skiumah, or further up Marion Lake (from Essex). Marion is moderate, while the others have quick access to serious terrain. Just west of Marias Pass is some mellow skiing in an old burn. Southish facing between Essex and Marias are Elk Mountain and Snowslip -- questionable now in our run of dry sunny weather.

Yeah I suck at search. Thanks for the heads up cloudcult. Hit Skiuma today and while the snow has been cooked the terrain up there was fun. Ski out was interesting, glad the new split is a 163

What are the exits and approaches out of Skiumah and those other spots along Hwy. 2?

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    What are the exits and approaches out of Skiumah and those other spots along Hwy. 2?
    The exits? Same as the entrance. About 15 minutes of mildly annoying narrow trails and bushwacking, then you pop out on the highway as bemused Albertans in impressively shiny and large land boats haul ass by on the way home.

What cloud cult said. Or there's plenty of easy access mellow-ish stuff immediately adjacent to the resort (access is obviously easier if you have a lift pass, but it's not too bad to get to if you don't pay for a ticket).

Other than that, check in with RMO in downtown kalispell. It's a good shop that can give you the run-down on a few other options other than the Middle Fork stuff CC mentioned.

I suppose I should have asked the more obvious question. How bad was the snow? Even north facing stuff cooked?