A Basin did not suck yesterday

WOW, best day in two years at the basin. They reported 6 inches, but that was six after closing yesterday, the 12-16 from yesterday during the day didn't get reported. Best part was the opened pali 15 minutes early for all the locals waiting there. Took out the 200 ffl's and had a blast. knee to thigh deep inbounds all morning, face shots like every other turn. At like 10:30 started on the beavers, we were the first ones out to the skiers left line. It was unreal, waste deep, continual face shots, pillow drops etc. Just had to go back for three laps. And it was blue bird all day. Then the upper east wall opened up. Knee deep steepness was great.
    "Is it necessary to disdain the affluent Escalade driver in the ski area parking lot just because he never threw caution to the wind and gave up work, meat, and let his hair grow in the surreal international sojourn of powder skiing and self-actualiztion?"

WELL OF COURSE, thats why I am me and you aren't

Like cool!

is there anything left worth headin' up there for??

Nice! No pics though?
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

yeah, still nice and soft inbounds on northfacing stuff, and the beavers still have some goods left. No pics, it was an open to close lap day, think maybe a friend snapped a few pics, but can't really tell you.
    "Is it necessary to disdain the affluent Escalade driver in the ski area parking lot just because he never threw caution to the wind and gave up work, meat, and let his hair grow in the surreal international sojourn of powder skiing and self-actualiztion?"

WELL OF COURSE, thats why I am me and you aren't

Wheeeeee!!!!

I fully concur. 6"???? Yeah, I found that in spots. I also found mid-thigh in a few places and 2 feet everywhere in the trees.
    I planted my S's on East Wall further than anyone's except ski patrol's. Anyone hike up to North Pole, etc?
    I found fresh powder EVERYWHERE in the Timber Glades, Rock Gardens, Pali Alleys, etc. I have never had a better day at A-Basin. The 6-30" powder stashes at Vail the day before didn't suck either. It really gets annoying wiping the snow off your teeth (I need to quit smiling while I ski!)
    Pictures will follow soon!
    "Shhhh! I hear a snowflake!"

Quote Originally Posted by powderfarmer
    WOW, best day in two years at the basin. They reported 6 inches, but that was six after closing yesterday, the 12-16 from yesterday during the day didn't get reported. Best part was the opened pali 15 minutes early for all the locals waiting there. Took out the 200 ffl's and had a blast. knee to thigh deep inbounds all morning, face shots like every other turn. At like 10:30 started on the beavers, we were the first ones out to the skiers left line. It was unreal, waste deep, continual face shots, pillow drops etc. Just had to go back for three laps. And it was blue bird all day. Then the upper east wall opened up. Knee deep steepness was great.
    This is NOT a criticism...just a question of curiosity...

I haven't skied the Beavers before...just know about them from many an avy incident over the years. I have noticed they see alot of traffic...so, my question...just curious what you found snowpack-wise when you skied them yesterday. Do they see so much traffic that it is really skier compacted, and thus the only sliding is new layer sluffing? Don't worry, I'm not going to take your answer as my permission to go ski them without any further "investigation" or anything (nor should anyone else, of course). The question is there, again, given their history, and knowing the avy danger is up right now pretty significantly... Again, not criticizing, just wanting to pick brains on this...

Quote Originally Posted by spthomson
    This is NOT a criticism...just a question of curiosity...

I haven't skied the Beavers before...just know about them from many an avy incident over the years. I have noticed they see alot of traffic...so, my question...just curious what you found snowpack-wise when you skied them yesterday. Do they see so much traffic that it is really skier compacted, and thus the only sliding is new layer sluffing? Don't worry, I'm not going to take your answer as my permission to go ski them without any further "investigation" or anything (nor should anyone else, of course). The question is there, again, given their history, and knowing the avy danger is up right now pretty significantly... Again, not criticizing, just wanting to pick brains on this...

Consider that area almost inbounds, minus it not being inbounds....lots of traffic in there.

Yes it did not suck. Vail on Monday did not suck either, though I didn't snap many pictures there as I was waaaaaay to busy skiing, and smiling, and laughing my ass off at each turn. Every picture would have turned out white as that was about what I saw all day...

Tuesday at Arapahoe was one of the best days I've had there.

Fresh snow and bluebird days...

East wall was great, while it lasted...

Not core I know, and not much dick to wave around but it was fun...and that is pretty much all that counts...

Entrance to east wall before the frenzy...

Nice day...looking north...notice the lines

Looking west over Pali and the Alleys...

A few lines waiting to be...

And finally west turbo...good enough coverage.
    Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Cool

I love this thread. Awesome pics. I can't even begin to imagine how good it was.
    Hopefully there's more on the way.