career change @31?? WWMD?

Lately I have been considering a change of career or at least a change of scenery. I am kind of burnt out on my current path and want to have more free time. Right now I am working, on average, 50-60 hour weeks. 7 day weeks are not uncommon and occasionally that turns into 21-23 day weeks before a day off. I give up many weekends and holidays and have an erratic work schedule de to practice changes and game schedules. Oh forgot to say what I am doing, I am a Certified Athletic Trainer at a college. I take care of athletes and fix them when they break. I like what I do and I am good at it but I just wish I did not do it as much.

I do get a fair amount of skiing (~ 60 days) in despite my funky work schedule. My wife and I have been contemplating a move to the west (Utah, Co., PNW) but many things stand in the way, house, job, wife's job etc.

So WWMD in my situation? Tell current job to piss off or be an "adult" and stay when I am. I would love a job with a regular schedule and weekends off but not sure how to go about getting there as well as getting to a new locale.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

I do not let work dominate my life. I work about 30 hours/week and only work late or weekends if I have been slacking off on the forums and have to make up time. If I were you I would cut back the hours substantially. If you can not do that in your current position perhaps a change is necessary.

If you like what you do, why not a trainers job out west at a school in the mountains, or even for a ski team if you can find one?

Are you wanting a change of locale only, or a change of career too?

Is the wife's job portable?

Re: career change @31?? WWMD?

Originally posted by Vinman
    So WWMD in my situation? Tell current job to piss off or be an "adult" and stay when I am. I would love a job with a regular schedule and weekends off but not sure how to go about getting there as well as getting to a new locale.
    There's nothing "adult" about slaving away at a job, especially if you are unhappy. Too many people get caught in the rat race and think it's noble that they put in 50 or 60 hours a week. Granted, you might have a vested interest in your work (like owning your own business). Maybe you like to work. Fine. But there is so much more to life. It's a short one-would I rather spend time at the office or spend time with the one I love? Too many people choose option A and think they're saving the planet.

Choose B. Have fun while you can.

You have a skill that transends geography...go man go.

just do it, man. you are def. not too old for some change (you had that in thread title so i'm guessing you thought it was important). I'm 29 and just made the move you're contemplating and i'm as happy as a clown.

Hmmm.... your job is treating injured athletes. Shouldn't be too hard for you to find work near a ski area. Shoot- your skills are probably in demand in most mountain towns.

You can probably find a more reasonable work schedule if you find employment outside of a college. Perhaps some super swanky health club in Aspen or something might be a good place for you.

Hijack- Are you coming home for the holidays, because Dec. 26 there's a mini summit at Plattekill.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Ever heard the saying, "The most successful people in the world constantly reinvent themselves." It may be hard to see, but it's true. And "success" doesn't necessarily mean money.

I'm 30, and I'm only two years out of college. I went for a couple of years, dropped out, moved to the mountains for a couple of years, went back to school, and graduated at 28. I've seen the grass on the other side of the hill. I've been at my current job for a little over a year, and I'm contemplating the same thing you are. I can feel myself slipping toward full on American-dom (you know, house, car 2.5 kids, 9 to 5). Enjoy all the fruits of life while you're still young enough to taste them.

Investment bankers will tell you to work hard and invest while you're young so that you can retire early and live it up. What for? I see my parents getting ready to retire and they ain't gonna do anything I can't do while I'm still working. They worked hard when they were younger, and now they're about ready to retire and their too old and beat up to do much. Why waste all of your youthful, exuberant years without living it up while you can.

Work will wait for you - there will always be something that needs to be done. Your life, however, will not. Something I always think about: when you're on your death bed - when the end is coming and you know it - are you going to be thinking about all those great 60 hr. work weeks you put in so that you could drive a Lexus instead of a Honda? Are you even going to remember the Lexus? Or are you going to remember the first time you went skiing? Or the last?
    Last edited by SponsoredByDuctTape; 11-21-2003 at 06:11 AM.

if you're good at what you do, you'll be able to find work out west too. the cost of living will also probably be lower depending on where you end up.

on the flip side of S-B-D-T's argument about being young and working, i will say that in my profession, it's rare that an older (let's say 40-55) person has the energy and nerves (not to mention time away from family) to cope with the stress of possibly earning some bucks and having a nice, full retirement. all i'm saying is that it's a catch 22.

I might be able to find a CO ATC position at a sports med clinic. It would be on the front range (Fort Collins, Greeley, Denver). We are looking for a couple PT's now but could probably go the ATC route for one of the positions. It would be less hours (40) and is basically outpatient rehab with an emphasis on post op ortho and preventative training programs. I'll talk with The Man today and see if they would be willing to entertain. Let me know if it sounds interesting. I know ATC's often don't like outpatient rehab because you feel like a glorified PT aide but ATC's add a ton of program development as well.

Let me know what you think.

Why get a "regular schedule"? I've been working off schedules for a long time, and can no longer stand Saturdays at 90% of mountains. It does screw up your social life, and can be difficult synching with a working spouse, but, hey, we are talking skiing here, and midweek dumps are always the best.

Sounds like you have a very portable skill. Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 or 3 major college towns with skiing close by ( Boulder, Bozeman ), and I'll bet Vail or Park city could use your experience in some "Spa" enviorment.

How did you get 60 days in working so hard?

Originally posted by SponsoredByDuctTape
    Investment bankers will tell you to work hard and invest while you're young so that you can retire early and live it up. What for? I see my parents getting ready to retire and they ain't gonna do anything I can't do while I'm still working. They worked hard when they were younger, and now they're about ready to retire and their too old and beat up to do much. Why waste all of your youthful, exuberant years without living it up while you can.
    This goes both ways. The ideal is to find some happy middle ground. As attractive as it may sound, at twenty-something, to have fun now and put off work, I for one have no desire to work when I'm 65. I can think of nothing worse than being forced to work just to make ends meet. A lot of people, unfortunately, never really have the opportunity to make this choice, but if you have skills that can lead to a quality job, that opportunity is always available.

On the other hand, working non-stop out of some feeling of duty to The Man isn't a healthy situation either.

I'm actually considering some sort of change as well, struggling with all the same notions. Anyone know if there are any good books on the subject? I'm sure there's a bazillion books, but any good ones? I wouldn't make this decision by reading a book, but absorbing and analyzing as much info as possible will help in the end.

Originally posted by Big E

I'm actually considering some sort of change as well, struggling with all the same notions. Anyone know if there are any good books on the subject? I'm sure there's a bazillion books, but any good ones? I wouldn't make this decision by reading a book, but absorbing and analyzing as much info as possible will help in the end.
    The wife read "Second Acts" and really liked it. Chek it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I agree with many sentiments here, both pro and con. You are lucky enough to be skilled in a profession that translates anywhere in the world. If it is a career change that you want then you need to ask yourself what it is that you would rather do.

Sounds to me that you enjoy your job and are more interested in a change of scenery. I would suggest taking a look around. Nobody gets hurt by looking. I always have an eye open for the job that will blow my mind. Enjoy what you have now (helping athletes rebound must be extremely rewarding) and see what is out there in locations that you want. Maybe aski your wife to do the same.

Being "adult" is often confused with dragging your toes through a life that you hate. Most here are adults and living proof that it does not have to be that way. Take Splat...eh...bad example but you know what I mean.
    You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

if you like your current job minus the insane hours and really do a great job for them let them know you are feeling burnt out and see if your current job can be better fit to you. You might be surprised ? valuable employees often never get what they want because they don't ask !
    "Do the interns get Glocks ? "

Hardest thing to do is find something that you can make money at, that makes you happy. At 28, I moved cross country with my wife, took a bold step to try and keep working for the same company but from home. It was stressfull trying to arrange all the details, but in the end it was the best decision I ever made. I now live in the Denver area, ski 50+ days. Best part is I live in a better enviornment, less stress and I work half as much for the same pay. Not that you are looking to do the same somewhere else. If I was still working just as hard as I was back east out here in Denver, I would still be 10x's happier. Nicer place to live, at least for me, and better access to the goods. Roll the dice and look for happieness.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Originally posted by Tavi
    I might be able to find a CO ATC position at a sports med clinic. It would be on the front range (Fort Collins, Greeley, Denver). We are looking for a couple PT's now but could probably go the ATC route for one of the positions. It would be less hours (40) and is basically outpatient rehab with an emphasis on post op ortho and preventative training programs.
    This might be something I am interested in. My wife and I talked about this subject last night a little. I don't know if we are 100% ready to make a move yet but I think that she sees that I am not fully enjoying my current position. She is at least supportive of me making a job and possibly locale change. As far as a move, not sure about that yet. Thank you for looking into this for me. I am truly amazed at the generosity and brotherhood/sisterhood of this community. Thanks.

Last edited by Vinman; 11-21-2003 at 09:13 AM.

WhiteRoom Skis

Originally posted by Benny Profane

How did you get 60 days in working so hard?
    This is kind a of a by product of the crazy scehdule. During the winter we only have 2 team going and I can usually find about 2 hours to ski before I have to come to work. So in fact these are not full days, but usually 7-9 runs in the morning before work. I did get probably about 30 full days in with another 30 partials added in.

WhiteRoom Skis

North of South, South of North, West of East

WWMD?

Well this one would dick around at the job that he's good at but hates until he was pushing 40 and then switch careers.

As of Dec. 1, I'm out of accounting and finance and into marketing and PR without a pay cut. It should be a much more satisfying career even though the location isn't changing.

I know it's not exactly what you were asking but go for it now. No matter what kind of change you are making it will only get more difficult to make as the years go by.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Originally posted by Plakespear
    Hijack- Are you coming home for the holidays, because Dec. 26 there's a mini summit at Plattekill.

I am definitely going to be home during Christmas. If Plattekill is open you can count me in.

WhiteRoom Skis

Right before you die, what are you going to say you wish you had done more of?

Now go do that.

I talked to The Man and she said that they would definately be interested in talking with you if you want to make the move. If I stop following this thread PM me if you are interested.

Originally posted by Tavi
    I talked to The Man and she said that they would definately be interested in talking with you if you want to make the move. If I stop following this thread PM me if you are interested.
    you have a PM

WhiteRoom Skis