Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    ^^^absolutely. Ya, that makes sense, just like cell phone that craps out they will replace that toe wing and send it back out. The optimist in me wants to believe they had a robot skinner boot cycle like 100k straight on pins that were loctite d and one's that were just tight. Don't see how that ever happened with these to the degree needed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

That is heavier than both my plum guides and vert STs, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I get 496g per side, no brakes, no screws, but including the brake retainer plate which should also act as the platform for flat touring. I recall something about there being a replacement platform to run without brakes.

A bit heavier than the 470g WildSnow quotes: http://www.wildsnow.com/11140/fritsc...-vipec-review/

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    That is heavier than both my plum guides and vert STs, I think.
    I get 420g for Vertical ST configured this way (no brake or screws). So, yes, a bit heavier.

And if you really want to get picky, I didn't put the two screws in the brake retainer platform on the Vipec.

So far had a week of skiing and touring on these and no problem. I am in Europe so used Telemark P who were easily the cheapest but i have used them before and their techfolk seem to set things up well - increasingly grateful for this! The description of how to step in is exactly as described and you need to relearn how to step in vs the dynafit approach. Happy so far if somewhat nervous with the above tak!

updated my review. Another day of skiing on them with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    updated my review. Another day of skiing on them with no issues.
    Thanks for update joe - glad yours was successful mount. As Lou said on wild snow - if you mount them 100% right they will work as designed. Have you got use to the trip and hover on the toe entry? I think it would get pretty difficult in the deep snow -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by SkiingQuinHat View Post
    The getting in the binding is still the main irritation - but finding ways to improve this via technique (but should not have to!)

Found this vid on the Diamir site. Different technique than the standard left-right tech-toewiggle. Place your heel against heelpiece align toes with toepiece, step in. Then step in the back.

Edit: http://youtu.be/Y1iZlhKZA6U

Looks fairly easy to me.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Dio View Post
    Found this vid on the Diamir site. Different technique than the standard left-right tech-toewiggle. Place your heel against heelpiece align toes with toepiece, step in. Then step in the back.

This actually makes sense, since there's no "tech gap" on these. Unintuitive though, if you're used to any other tech bindings. I'll have to try it. Mine haven't left the bench yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Thanks for update joe - glad yours was successful mount. As Lou said on wild snow - if you mount them 100% right they will work as designed. Have you got use to the trip and hover on the toe entry? I think it would get pretty difficult in the deep snow -
    I honestly don't think its that bad. In deep snow I usually post hole my uphill foot, click my downhill ski in, then stand up to get the uphill on. I have been doing basically the same thing as the video someone just posted, and it works just fine. (I tried a few other methods that weren't so great first)

I'm definitely going to be watching this thread throughout the season. If these things stand up to some abuse (ie live up to the whole "tech alpine binding" label that fritschi markets them as), I will definitely pick a pair up next season.

I know they're not quite as beefy and only have a 12din max, but I'd like to see what people think of them compared to the beasts.

I have high hopes for these, the design looks solid (although it might be nice to see a beefed up and 16 din version in the future) thanks to everyone who took the risk and got a pair and is keeping us updated.

Anyone see SIA updates to these for next year?

Had to go with old reliable, karhu guides and silvrettas.
    Damn. I went a different direction with my Vector BCs: TTS w/TLT6Ms. Loving it. Not intended to rub it in.

^^^^no worries, mine were exchanged for fresh vector bc's with speed superlites - fritschi and specifically their R&D group can go pound salt - this kid aint signed up for their crash test dummy trial program....

vector bc's with speed superlites
    Fishscales with no flat tour mode? Hey, this forum needs a fat fishscale thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Fishscales with no flat tour mode? Hey, this forum needs a fat fishscale thread.
    The simplicity and weight savings is small price for the .5 inch heel lift
    Can't believe how nice the vectors are in fresh and deep
    FFF, subscribed - (fat fishscale forum)

Rawj had no problems linking soft bouncy turns on that flat football field -

Quote Originally Posted by Dio View Post

Awesome, that looks really simple. I've been thinking about picking up a pair of Vipecs specifically for the forward flex and lateral toe release, but was concerned about ease of step-in.

The simplicity and weight savings is small price for the .5 inch heel lift
    But no quick DH to tour mode change, very nice to have with fat fishscales

Spoke with a guide yesterday who has 50 days on them with no issues. He also said they ski pretty much the same as Dynafits, but "maybe a little stronger on hard snow."

Dunno if it's been posted yet but the QK/BF screw spec for the Vipec is:
    8no. 12mm pan heads
    8no. 10mm csk flat heads

Had my first day on the Vipecs on Saturday. Was initially planning on hiking around a bit, but ended up skiing them inbounds. Step-in can be a bit fiddly, but other than that they were great. Felt like alpine bindings going down, apart from weighing half as much.

Initial adjustment of the toe pin was fairly straightforward, no issues with it so far. I applied Loctite 263 per the Fritschi bulletin.

Three more days on the Vipecs with no major issues. They tour well, switching modes and risers with a pole is very easy. No complaints about downhill performance. Getting used to the step-in now, but pins occasionally stick on step-out. Problem can be solved by wiggling your foot/pushing the lever down again

I've got a handful of days on mine now, both inbounds and out. I have released out of the toe piece a couple times mucking through thick trees on the exits of backcountry laps.

The step-in can be a little funky, but I think I've gotten kind of used to it. They tour and ski great. I've got them mounted on Soul 7s, and it is spooky how light yet capable this setup is.