Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Kingpin for firm snow. Vipec for soft snow. Lightweight (350g max) trumps it all for medium to long tours and meadow skipping.
    Would you care to elaborate?
    Because of release safety of the vipec in deep snow?
    And power transfer of the kingpin on firm snow? Is the release safety not as critical on firm snow?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Would you care to elaborate?
    Because of release safety of the vipec in deep snow?
    And power transfer of the kingpin on firm snow? Is the release safety not as critical on firm snow?
    Yes to all of this. I don't really snag the tips of my skis (or fall at all actually) in firm snow in the BC, so power transfer is more important to me than lateral release at the toe.

ugh I am in full on buying mode right now.

2017 Fritschi Vipec TUV w/ 108 mm brakes $420

one pair left, thought I would pass along the deal

http://alpineoptions.com/31197/2017-...tified-108-mm/

The vipec is just as damp as any alpine bindings even on solid refrozen spring snow.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    The vipec is just as damp as any alpine bindings even on solid refrozen spring snow.
    I'm really interested in this due to some knee arthritis. My knees hurt after skiing Dynafits. I would like a lightweight touring option that doesn't bug them out.

Question... thinking of keeping a set of Vipecs so I could swap out the heel with Tectons for a super long tour or a tour with a ton of rolling terrain. Difference between 2014/15 Vipec heel and the 2016/17 Vipec heel?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

My recollection is that some folks reported icing in certain conditions with the first year's heel.

IIRC, the complete Tecton vs. Vipec is about 100g difference per pair.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    My recollection is that some folks reported icing in certain conditions with the first year's heel.

... Thom
    Never had icing problems. When I measured it was more than 100g. I'll remeasure tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Question... thinking of keeping a set of Vipecs so I could swap out the heel with Tectons for a super long tour or a tour with a ton of rolling terrain. Difference between 2014/15 Vipec heel and the 2016/17 Vipec heel?
    You would have to remount the heel plate. The Tecton and Vipec have the same hole pattern but different heel plates, and a Tecton heel won't slide on a Vipec plate. Didn't try the other way around but I imagine it is not compatible.

Oh never mind then I am not swapping plates. I'll look closely

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    My '17 Vipec is 1050g for the pair (Lou says it should be 1224g).
    My '18 Tecton is 1170g for the pair (Lou says it should be 1100g).
    The '18 Vipec is supposed to 1000g according to Lou

Something is wonky here. I am sure my +-1g Escali P115C scale isn't measuring crazy pants enough to make the '17 Vipec 10% lighter than the Tecton if it is supposed to be 5% heavier. I measured with NO brakes but did include the plastic heel rest.

My weights for the '17 Vipec match @Lindahl here: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...iamir-vipec-12
    I call mismeasure on Lou's weights here: https://www.wildsnow.com/21378/frits...-tecton-vipec/

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    You would have to remount the heel plate. The Tecton and Vipec have the same hole pattern but different heel plates, and a Tecton heel won't slide on a Vipec plate. Didn't try the other way around but I imagine it is not compatible.
    TESTED
    Tecton won't fit on a Vipec plate.
    Vipec fits on Tecton plate, but introduces slight play (not advisable).

^ Lou is incorrect on his published weight for the Vipec Black, "Interestingly, the new 500 gram Vipec weight is significantly lighter than this season’s ‘Black’ Vipec at 612 grams verified. I’m assuming that’s because they used more reinforced plastic." He must have accidentally compared the weight of the Vipec Black with brakes to the Evo without brakes.

My scale says the Black is 532g per binding with the brake base and the two screws that attach it (and some extra grease under the heel), but without brake arm or ski screws. I get the exact same 585g as Summit for the Tecton without brake arm or ski screws, so my scale must be accurate.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-05-2017 at 01:04 AM.

My measured Vipec weights were also within about 10g of what Lindahl's scale read.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

My measured 2018 VIPEC EVO is basically what Lindahl weighed

A single Vipec Evo no brakes was 500g even on my scale.

Including the brake base and the two screws that attach it? (As you'd use it running brakeless.)

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Including the brake base and the two screws that attach it? (As you'd use it running brakeless.)
    I did this for my measures

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Ya'll are right, remeasured with 8 binding screws + brake base = 563g.

Without binding screws: 542g.

Fritschi Vipec review thread

Just received and mounted some evo’s . Is there a trick to keeping the brake up in walk mode?

Edit:nevermind. Got it. Needed to push the heel down one more click to hold them. Duh

First time putting my white Vipecs into skin mode the high riser snapped off. Fortunately all the skinning was low rough angle to not need it.

I need to contact BD warranty

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    First time putting my white Vipecs into skin mode the high riser snapped off. Fortunately all the skinning was low rough angle to not need it.

I need to contact BD warranty
    Did the plastic riser have a pin break?

If not, can you snap the riser pins back in? (This has happened to a few people. Happened to me once on Gen 1 vipecs and I just snapped them back in. Usually it is reported from extreme sidehilling with the riser engaged, not a simple mode transmission...)

Fritschi Vipec review thread

Does anyone know or have any info on whether or not that fritschi has demo bindings in either a viper or Tecton? Any info would be helpful. I’ve had a mismount on a newish pair of skis(2nd mount). I’m running out of options to salvage these skis. Latest mount is the vipec so thinking a demo vipec/Tecton with adjustable toe and longer heel track could be the answer. Is this a possibility for shops that want to rent them?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Did the plastic riser have a pin break?

If not, can you snap the riser pins back in? (This has happened to a few people. Happened to me once on Gen 1 vipecs and I just snapped them back in. Usually it is reported from extreme sidehilling with the riser engaged, not a simple mode transmission...)
    Broke in two pieces, so not an option. If it is that simple then I hope BD can just send me a replacement.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I posted a thread here
    Has anyone had issues with the Vipec heelpiece falling off the track while touring?
    This happened to me about 4 times yesterday on my “black” version Vipecs with about 40 days on them, never had any issues before. Pics in my thread.

^^noticing that too. New they snap in ,when flat and cleaned out, like a top. I meant to order Tecton but these ski very nice for pin tech. Not alpine feel but a definitive improvement. Thinking about grinding that toe release nub so I don’t pooch my boots and maybe add that one sided sticky pads to boot toe and the leftover of the nub I grind. See how Lee Lau makes out with his padding experiment