Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    So locked means locked, that's a good thing for kick turns.

You know I've never had the binding come off when I'm kickturning when "unlocked" but a few times over the years I've stepped out when breaking trail with too skinny a ski for the powder conditions.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Looks like my vipecs are having some issues. One of the toes is not fully opening when I put it in step in mode. The pin adjustment is not too tight.

I opened them to inspect the inside.

The pin mechanism on it's own fully opens. As I increase the din the pins get tighter.

Between the lever and pin mechanism the isn't any apparent wear.

The lever has more slack compared to my other toe that works as it should.

If I push the lever down the pins open more, but if I let go of the lever they close back up.

What's the best lube due bindings? Can I use silicone spray?

Fritschi Vipec review thread

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post

What's the best lube due bindings? Can I use silicone spray?
    BD told me white lithium spray last year. It worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all. Does anyone have any experience with the scarpa alien or tlt6 and the vipecs? I've been trying to put together a first touring setup and got a pair of aliens that fit me well and the vipecs for a good price. After the fact I found out about the potential compatibility issues. With the higher rubber toe piece the boot will release from the toe as it should, but in walk mode it looks like it may release at an angle around 90 degrees. Have you guys had issues with that in a real world situation?

Quote Originally Posted by GooseOnSmallHill View Post
    Hey all. Does anyone have any experience with the scarpa alien or tlt6 and the vipecs? I've been trying to put together a first touring setup and got a pair of aliens that fit me well and the vipecs for a good price. After the fact I found out about the potential compatibility issues. With the higher rubber toe piece the boot will release from the toe as it should, but in walk mode it looks like it may release at an angle around 90 degrees. Have you guys had issues with that in a real world situation?
    I skied with TLT6's and 2nd gen Vipecs (14/15) a number of times, zero problems. Just had to have on the right clip for skinning (ie pre evo models had two different clips for forward release while skinning). But can't comment on EVO and onward

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    I skied with TLT6's and 2nd gen Vipecs (14/15) a number of times, zero problems. Just had to have on the right clip for skinning (ie pre evo models had two different clips for forward release while skinning). But can't comment on EVO and onward
    That's reassuring - I have the 2nd gen as well.Currently have that higher clip mounted. Going to hunt down some sticks then get it all sorted, will update if there's any issues with the alien specifically.

Anyone have an extra toe piece they'd sell? Lost a ski... Would prefer black gen or later.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Just the toe? I do. PM me your address etc. Shipping + beer money is plenty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Just the toe? I do. PM me your address etc. Shipping + beer money is plenty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Pm sent. Many thanks
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Anybody have any extra heel parts they want to sell me? Managed to crack the little plastic saddle piece that holds the brake arms up in tour mode and BD is not getting back to me about buying just that part.

For those that have had their heels move back on the adjustment plates while skinning up, did you ever figure out the issue? Are the grooves on the black plates worn? (BD is willing to take the heels back, but that means no bindings for a while or wait until after ski season to mail them). I'm thinking may just new plastic plates would solve the matter?

Just mounted some Vipec Evos, and trying to figure out the how to properly adjust the heel. Cant really find any definitive information on how to do this from Fritschi, other than this short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m-jDJOcQdY Theres no info in the manual about this, which I find weird.

Is the heel supposed to be adjust flush with the boot? or is there supposed to be a small gap at the heel?

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Just mounted some Vipec Evos, and trying to figure out the how to properly adjust the heel. Cant really find any definitive information on how to do this from Fritschi, other than this short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m-jDJOcQdY Theres no info in the manual about this, which I find weird.

Is the heel supposed to be adjust flush with the boot? or is there supposed to be a small gap at the heel?
    There still needs to be that tiny 1-2mm gap. Your rear tech fitting will damage the arms that actually hold the pins if you don't. I have a spare rear piece from someone that shows the damage at home.

To the future DIY'er looking for a template and doesn't read this thread - Thom's template is nuts-on. The Powderguides one is off by ~0.5mm in a couple directions (their Shift template is too) but their bsl centering is handy and correct. It might not seem like much but you may as get your holes lined up correctly if it's no added work, especially if you're 3 beers deep by the time you grab the drill.

Template worked for current vipec evo 12's.

Also, if you don't 2x4 ahead of time, at a minimum lay your binding over the template, look down with a flashlight and make sure the bullseye is centered.

If I remember right the wildsnow template is also about .5mm off. Definitely worth the double check if you're doing inserts.

An update from an earlier post - I had no issues with the vipecs and the short nosed scarpa alien boot. I ended up going with a stiffer boot for my wider skis though.

https://skimo.co/fritschi-binding-parts

Does anyone by chance have a spare "brake clip" they'd be willing to sell me? I haven't been able to find one online. It retains the brakes in the locked position when you transition to uphill mode by lowering the black lever on the heel.

new to the thread, got some vipecs on the way for some skis drilled with inserts for em. never used the binding, but curious since I'll own some soon. but used, so no manual or whatever... how complicated is the whole brake/transition thing? I am used to the idiot proof skimo race bindings which only have 1 moving part etc so if there are any tips or tricks I'm happy to hear them... hopefully will use these on my CD104s as a travel ski / inbounds with the wife and daughter / really shit bc snow for a softer ride...? is that a thing? cuz we have some really shit bc snow now...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    new to the thread, got some vipecs on the way for some skis drilled with inserts for em. never used the binding, but curious since I'll own some soon. but used, so no manual or whatever... how complicated is the whole brake/transition thing? I am used to the idiot proof skimo race bindings which only have 1 moving part etc so if there are any tips or tricks I'm happy to hear them... hopefully will use these on my CD104s as a travel ski / inbounds with the wife and daughter / really shit bc snow for a softer ride...? is that a thing? cuz we have some really shit bc snow now...
    It's not hard. You push the back heel piece down and it slides back. There is a point you have to push it to so it locks but that's it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Agreed, it's pretty clear. Just make sure it fully clicks back up into ski mode when going downhill. Otherwise, potential for insta-tele. Nice binder other than this.
    sproing!

Also probably worth repeating: don't slam your heel down to lock the brake when in tour mode, that's a good way to snap the brake retainer. Just click in while in ski mode then slide the heel back. I guess I'm not sure if the older models have this problem or not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Also probably worth repeating: don't slam your heel down to lock the brake when in tour mode, that's a good way to snap the brake retainer. Just click in while in ski mode then slide the heel back. I guess I'm not sure if the older models have this problem or not.

just because I’m a couple beers deep: you’re saying to use my hand to lock the brake after I take my ski off to reapply skin, prior to shifting the heel to tour mode?

just because I’m a couple beers deep: you’re saying to use my hand to lock the brake after I take my ski off to reapply skin, prior to shifting the heel to tour mode?
    This may be more of an issue with the tectons, but they have a similar plastic brake retainer thingy so probably worth being careful.

Saying if you take it off to put skins on, either hold the brake down with your hand and slide the heel piece into tour mode while depressing the brakes (like you described), or leave it in ski mode and put toes + heel in while in ski mode then slide the heel back into tour mode with your pole. That way you don't stress the little plastic arms that hold the brake up.

Damn! I must be lucky, in that I've never paid attention to this, but re-reading these comments gives me pause.

The good news is that this isn't so much of a nuisance, as it is reprogramming a habit.

I like the idea of clicking into downhill mode, and then flipping into touring mode. I'd be less prone to forget.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-01-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music