Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Evos or blacks? Since some blacks have issues with the heel piece backing off the track, I wouldn't mount those forward. If not, I think the policy around here is that forward gives you a less noticeable dead spot in the tail flex. Other variable is BSL. Are your boots weirdly short or long for the mondo size? Are you putting super short boots on long skis or vice versa (re-sale consideration)?
    Blacks. I’m never too worried about resale. Got a good price and I’ll probably ski them for 5-6 years as an early/no fresh snow/spring touring ski. Bonus they’re serial #001
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Blacks. I’m never too worried about resale. Got a good price and I’ll probably ski them for 5-6 years as an early/no fresh snow/spring touring ski. Bonus they’re serial #001
    Based on that pic, back looks best. Really, with some good wood plugging those holes, on3p core would likely hold up fine exactly where green marks are, but if you're leaving those bindings on until the ski dies it doesn't matter too much. Sweet serial number for a sweet binding, good purchase.

I turned a guitar into a touring setup.

I turned a guitar into a touring setup.
    Your green marks make sense. Assuming the same boot center, your heel would move back by 1/2 the BSL difference, or 4.5mm.

I should have mentioned that this drawing is for Vipec Blacks (all generations including Evo are the same - yes?).

To the best of my knowledge (basing my drawing off the Powderguide template and making minor adjustments), the difference between Wardens and STH 2s is the position of the two toe holes closest to the ski tip. STH2 heels should = Warden heels.

Having said that, I should pick up a pair of those long Vipec plates. They might come in handy in a pair of hopelessly Swiss-cheesed skis ;-)

Yeah ... I turn guitar stuff into skis & vice versa ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Heads up:

I've insta-tele-d a few times this season on a pair of well-used Vipec Blacks. Finally discovered that when putting the heels in ski mode, snow stuck near the recesses of the pivot arms of the heel lever will prevent it from locking fully. It's somewhat difficult to notice, but you need to feel a very positive click when changing into ski mode. The softer click is a recipe for insta-tele.

Took me a long time to knock snow out of the recesses yesterday and get the positive click prior to skiing a consequential line. Still had a hard time fully trusting the heels but they held fine.

You think some silicone paste would solve that?

Just mounted Evo 12s, skied them at a resort yesterday to make sure they were all good before a long BC trip. Pretty impressed. Getting in was not as easy as my ions or kingpins but lightly lining up the boot heel just above the rear pins seemed to really help put toe in right place.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Wow is all I have to say after day one on vipecs. I’ve always hated the way tech bindings feel skiing hard snow and firm groomers. About 3 turns into the day I was skiing them exactly like an alpine binding. Totally confidence inspiring on steep hard snow. I’m officially over dynafits.

Wow is all I have to say after day one on vipecs. I’ve always hated the way tech bindings feel skiing hard snow and firm groomers. About 3 turns into the day I was skiing them exactly like an alpine binding. Totally confidence inspiring on steep hard snow. I’m officially over dynafits.
    Try tectons for 80g more

^ This.

Glad you dig them.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    Glad you dig them.
    Thanks again. The skins I got from you last year work on the skis I put the vipecs on.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Try tectons for 80g more
    80g and a lot more money. Maybe black diamond will sell me some tecton heels though.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Heads up:

I've insta-tele-d a few times this season on a pair of well-used Vipec Blacks. Finally discovered that when putting the heels in ski mode, snow stuck near the recesses of the pivot arms of the heel lever will prevent it from locking fully. It's somewhat difficult to notice, but you need to feel a very positive click when changing into ski mode. The softer click is a recipe for insta-tele.
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    You think some silicone paste would solve that?
    Apparently this issue is resolved by spraying lubricant on the back of the plate/heelpiece where they interface.

Had my Vipec black toes replaced under warranty yesterday. Didn't fix a different issue I've noticed lately:

The tech fittings in my boots (Gen1 ZeroG) seem to "stick" to the pins when I try to release the toes. The pin that sticks is always the one opposite the adjustable pin. Is it possible that the bindings can wear the boot fittings prematurely if the pins are adjusted too tight? Release seems a little sketchy.

Any reports on the late-2018-to-current Vipec EVO heels that have the traditional horizontal-moving pins (release adjustment screw at rear of housing), vs the early-2018 EVO and prior models (release adjustment screw on top of housing) with pins in forged aluminum swingarms?

Brake attachment is also different; the early version has a cover over the brake that attaches with two screws. Current version brake platform is floating and basically the same as Tecton, which means the heel can move independently of the brake platform when the ski flexes.

Overall heel weight is virtually identical. Wonder if the change was to reduce manufacturing cost (no more forged arms), or if there's a minor performance or durability improvement.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-22-2019 at 10:31 AM.

So I ended up having to skin ~4000' and ski down about 6000' with a toe pin completely loose on my Vipecs (i.e. lost the nut that secures the pin in location on the adjustable side.) The pin itself looks a bit wonky with uneven wear -- I'm hoping Fristchi will replace the pin and nut itself.

Real question is -- what is the chance I damaged my boot insert in doing such? Just get boots tested for release and call it good?

Oh -- and don't try and use the 120mm crampons on ice-y, steep, sidehills. The extra width and lack of rigidity combined with the small attachment pin can lead the attachment pin to bend. Which makes it a bitch to get them on/off and probably weakens the overall setup. Not having a crampon that fits 100-105 skis well is dumb. For long tours without exits I'm probably going to the Salomon Mtn in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    So I ended up having to skin ~4000' and ski down about 6000' with a toe pin completely loose on my Vipecs (i.e. lost the nut that secures the pin in location on the adjustable side.) The pin itself looks a bit wonky with uneven wear -- I'm hoping Fristchi will replace the pin and nut itself.

Real question is -- what is the chance I damaged my boot insert in doing such? Just get boots tested for release and call it good?

Oh -- and don't try and use the 120mm crampons on ice-y, steep, sidehills. The extra width and lack of rigidity combined with the small attachment pin can lead the attachment pin to bend. Which makes it a bitch to get them on/off and probably weakens the overall setup. Not having a crampon that fits 100-105 skis well is dumb. For long tours without exits I'm probably going to the Salomon Mtn in the future.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure a boot inspection will allay any fears of boot socket damage.

It sounds as if your Vipecs are gen 1 or gen 2 - before the "Black" generation which has a retainer spring to prevent the pin rotating?

I didn't realize the crampon size limits on the Vipecs, and your comment is well timed, as I'm mulling over a binder for some EXPs that I picked up from @grinch. The cheapskate in me was considering moving one of my pairs of Vipecs over, but this gives me pause.

You've probably been reading the 300g binding thread (the ATK Crests keep floating to the top of my list).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Mine are the blacks. It has a retainer spring to keep the pin in, but there is still a nut on the inside to secure the adjustment. I loctited them after adjusting to my boots but to no luck apparently (about 20 days on them since adjustment.) Luckily the spring meant I could at least skin/ski them out as the pin stayed in. Just a good bit of wobble in the toe.

EXP seems to call for something a bit lighter than the Vipec.

Lost my nut recently

on one of my Vipec blacks. Called BD about a replacement nut. They told me to fill out a warranty form, and forward to him. I did. BD then sent me two brand-new Vipec Evo toepieces, and said I could keep the other Black toepiece as a back-up. Suhweet!

Vipecs will be going brakeless on ZeroG 95s for a spring/summer rig. I like the damper toe in firmer conditions. For me, it's well worth an extra 200 grams when paired with a very light ski.
    sproing!

90mm Vipec crampons should work fine with EXPs.

I still think Vipecs + EXPs make for a very capable duo that can do everything from riding groomers hard to longer treks, even if a (significantly) lighter binding makes even more sense for longer tours. As you know my EXPs are mounted with ATK Raiders, after a last minute decision to try light weight tech binders for the first time.

My left knee and I are still a bit unsure if that was the prudent choice, after a twisty and somersaulty fall where I did not release from either binding. Oh well - time will tell.

Meter-man: They did what? Holy cow, the warranty department over yonder seems fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Lost my nut recently

on one of my Vipec blacks. Called BD about a replacement nut. They told me to fill out a warranty form, and forward to him. I did. BD then sent me two brand-new Vipec Evo toepieces, and said I could keep the other Black toepiece as a back-up. Suhweet!

Vipecs will be going brakeless on ZeroG 95s for a spring/summer rig. I like the damper toe in firmer conditions. For me, it's well worth an extra 200 grams when paired with a very light ski.
    That'd be cool. They give you any shit for losing your nut, or just hook you up?

I def like how the Vipecs ski vs dynafits I've been on, but the crampon issue (120mm on my 104 waists) and nut-fall sort of spooked me on this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    90mm Vipec crampons should work fine with EXPs.

I still think Vipecs + EXPs make for a very capable duo that can do everything from riding groomers hard to longer treks, even if a (significantly) lighter binding makes even more sense for longer tours. As you know my EXPs are mounted with ATK Raiders, after a last minute decision to try light weight tech binders for the first time.

My left knee and I are still a bit unsure if that was the prudent choice, after a twisty and somersaulty fall where I did not release from either binding. Oh well - time will tell.

Meter-man: They did what? Holy cow, the warranty department over yonder seems fantastic!
    Ah! So they do make a narrower 'pon. I thought so, but assumed I was wrong based on @doebedoe's comments. I guess he was referring to a hole in the range where he was forced into 120s for his 104s.

Of course, I love the Vipec's ski-ability and this would be welcome in a spring ski where things don't warm up as quickly as you expect. I keep going back and forth on this one. A few hours ago, it was all ATK Crests. Tomorrow? Who knows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Mine are the blacks. It has a retainer spring to keep the pin in, but there is still a nut on the inside to secure the adjustment. I loctited them after adjusting to my boots but to no luck apparently (about 20 days on them since adjustment.) Luckily the spring meant I could at least skin/ski them out as the pin stayed in. Just a good bit of wobble in the toe.

EXP seems to call for something a bit lighter than the Vipec.
    Ah! I haven't looked at them in a while and forgot that the lock nut is on the inside and not kept by the retainer clip.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-29-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    Galibier Design

The crampons come in 90, 100 and 115mm.

The issue is that the widths are the actual widths. As such, if you have skis that a 100mm or slightly wider - a very, very common width for touring skis - then you need to go all the way up to 115mm crampons.

Apparently (ref the Tecton thread) 115mm crampons are something like 118mm inside, and works well with 115mm skis, but are not ideal / a bit wide for skis around the 100mm mark.

Arguably 95/105/120mm would make more sense imho, or 90/100/110/120.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 03-30-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Since a lot of us just picked up Vipec Evos from the STP deal here is where you can find a mounting template for them and others.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...yYY6Gg2a3Dd245

I almost feel bad I bought the Evo. My OG vipecs have been going strong and I beat on them relentlessly. I like the Evo toe way more than the tecton toe. Simpler.