Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    What thickness do you want? I should be making them sometime next week.
    whatever gets us closest to zero ramp angle. Sounds like 6mm Isa good starting point. Have you done the math yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I shimmed mine 6mm thanks to spyderjon. Truly $$. Saved me from selling a pair of skis.

That’s what I would recommend.

B and D has a set with 4.7 mm thickness - that’s what I put under the tectons that went on my bent chetlers.

Taped the shims to the toe pieces of the bindings and hastily drilled holes because they don’t come predrilled. Looks good, will ski this weekend to confirm.

What are you gonna do for longer screws?
    Ive shimmed basically every binding for a couple years. I use insertz so it's easy to find longer machine screws

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    whatever gets us closest to zero ramp angle. Sounds like 6mm Isa good starting point. Have you done the math yet?
    https://skimo.co/pin-heights

That link says the toe to heel height delta is 10mm but i dont believe that means if we had a 9mm plate we would be the same as the alpine binding. I think it matters what boot you have to compare to for your alpine setup. So a 6mm shim would probably do most if not everything we needed. As for screws the link below has some different screw height options you can buy. Id say take whatever stock is (anyone know?!) and add whatever the shim is and get close.

https://skimo.co/bnd-shims

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I knew there was something i meant to PM you about yesterday. Glad you found it.

Some folks aren't used to the old school template style where you mark the toe/heel lines and view them through a "window" you cut in the template.

I prefer it to the "tape two halves together" style which I find introduces another opportunity for a brain fart (and subsequent opportunity to post in the Swiss-cheese holes thread).

It also makes it easier to experiment with biasing the heel position to one end of the track or the other for multiple boot compatibility.

... Thom
    Thom can you post a link to your Vipec template? I can't find it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

[QUOTE=margotron;5578477]Thom can you post a link to your Vipec template? I can't find it

Here's the link: http://galibierdesign.com/images/oth...Vipec_Thom.pdf

• Ignore the printing instructions on the left side. That's a reminder for me when I'm printing directly from my CAD software.
    • Note the 4" x 4" box for verifying that you've printed to scale.
    • This is an old-school style template, with little boxes/windows you cut out to view the toe and heel lines you mark on the skis. No cutting and taping together for a specific BSL.

As always (as if I had to say that) test it out on a piece of scrap wood.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-30-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    https://skimo.co/pin-heights

That link says the toe to heel height delta is 10mm but i dont believe that means if we had a 9mm plate we would be the same as the alpine binding. I think it matters what boot you have to compare to for your alpine setup. So a 6mm shim would probably do most if not everything we needed. As for screws the link below has some different screw height options you can buy. Id say take whatever stock is (anyone know?!) and add whatever the shim is and get close.

https://skimo.co/bnd-shims
    I think we go with 6mm then like you suggest!

Fritschi Vipec review thread

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If anyone had any doubts, Thom's template is better than the Powderguides one as far a hole accuracy based on measuring and eyeballing last night. The latter will probably work, but Thom's is spot on.
    Nm

Forgive me if this has been answered before or if it seems like a stupid question, but can you run the vipec with alpine soles?

Quote Originally Posted by banzai View Post
    Forgive me if this has been answered before or if it seems like a stupid question, but can you run the vipec with alpine soles?
    Sure. If they have tech inserts.

Sure they do (Tecnica zero G W). I was concerned whether the height of the sole will provide proper brake engagement if that makes any sense. Looking to get my wife into touring with me.

Sure they do (Tecnica zero G W). I was concerned whether the height of the sole will provide proper brake engagement if that makes any sense. Looking to get my wife into touring with me.
    Should be okay, but given the massive variety in sole heights, probably testing is the only way to know for a fact. Or emailing Fritschi.

Toes are trickier to step into with the alpine sole IMO. I often have to forego using the trigger and click the toe shut, then use a pole to get it to open slightly and step in.
    Last edited by North; 02-20-2019 at 12:59 AM.

The new upright AT boots such as Alien RS and ZeroG Tour Pro shouldn't need shims with Vipec/Tecton (I actually added shims to the heels when using 2017 ZeroG Guide Pro and Cochise), but each to their own.

My measurements are very close to Thom's updated dimensions.

For the pin line, I got 31.8mm behind the centerline of the front toe holes, if my notes are correct.

For folks looking to warranty replace the Vipec Evo toes, I submitted a warranty request and they had me send in my toes before they sent out new ones. I guess they want to confirm that it's a valid request? I didn't specifically tell them that I needed the new toes soon though. About a 10-day turnaround time from when my toes arrived at BD to when they shipped out new ones, I should get the new ones on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Broke in two pieces, so not an option. If it is that simple then I hope BD can just send me a replacement.
    Mine broke today...What did you end up doing with yours? Did BD respond to your warranty claim?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190216_214119.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	382.3 KB 
ID:	270039
    Last edited by zs3889; 02-16-2019 at 11:54 PM.

BD is pretty quick about shipping out heel lifter replacements. Their warranty process is super easy.

So it looks like I’m going to have to mount the heels of some vipecs back 1cm ish. Do these have enough adjustment range to do that? Goddamn STH2 holes are just barely wider. Fucking in the jig holes but off center.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    So it looks like I’m going to have to mount the heels of some vipecs back 1cm ish. Do these have enough adjustment range to do that? Goddamn STH2 holes are just barely wider. Fucking in the jig holes but off center.
    24-25mm heel track length.

I finagled a Vipec mount on a pair of skis with a Warden mount (same heel pattern as STH 2).

I got the Vipec holes located just inside (outside?) of the Warden holes. It was close, but since I was using inserts for both mounts, I wasn't concerned.

If I recall, it required mounting within 4-5mm of where a "standard" mount would have located the heels (keeping the same boot center and BSL).

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-19-2019 at 09:41 PM.
    Galibier Design

I had really bad binding hole interference on a pair of skis I put a Vipec on, I was able to order a longer heel track from BD, it has 6 holes instead of 4 and gives a LOT more adjustment range. Call them up, I don't think it's on the website. Makes it easy to work around existing mounts.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Would it make more sense to mount the heel forward .75cm or back 1cm? Would it make a difference?

I don't know if this helps you decide on whether you want to source a long track, but here are the two mounts I did with inserts (the insert mount for the Vipecs was in progress).

Looking at this again, it appears as if you could move the Vipec toward the rear by about 8-9mm which means you'd lose adjustment in the direction of shortening (leaving maybe have 3-4mm in that direction). It's a bit tricky (dare I say "test mount"?).

Here's how my drawing worked out - showing the hole overlap if you mount identical boots at the same place.

You can see how far you'd have to go back for the rear heel holes to clear each other. I opted for the "center" solution. This meant I was still pretty close to the center of the adjustment range (giving up about 3mm in "length" and gaining that much in "shortening" capability).

The outer hole circles are the diameter of the inserts, and the inner circles are the approximate diameter of a standard binding screw. The annotation about the pin line is anecdotal (the pins on my Maestrales is 15mm behind the front of the boot).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Fritschi Vipec review thread

Warden have a different heel pattern from STH2? Mine aren’t lining up that way at all. Well the sth2 mount is for 315 and I’m mounting the vipecs for 324. That might be the conflict.
    Green marks are vipec pattern. I’ll probably go back 7.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Would it make more sense to mount the heel forward .75cm or back 1cm? Would it make a difference?
    Evos or blacks? Since some blacks have issues with the heel piece backing off the track, I wouldn't mount those forward. If not, I think the policy around here is that forward gives you a less noticeable dead spot in the tail flex. Other variable is BSL. Are your boots weirdly short or long for the mondo size? Are you putting super short boots on long skis or vice versa (re-sale consideration)?

I did almost the same thing as Thom but used the 60 mm heel plates from BD. They were $30. Same skis too. Here is a photo of the pattern for the 60 mm heels. It is the Fritschi template that came with my bindings. By the way, the 60 mm plates seem to work fine with Tectons.