Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Download the template from Powderguide and compare against where you drilled them.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-26-2018 at 01:02 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Download the template from Powderguide and compare against where you drilled them.

... Thom
    I've tried to download it off of slide wright website but it's a dead link. I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by finishthepint View Post
    I've tried to download it off of slide wright website but it's a dead link. I can't seem to find it anywhere else.
    from the template sticky:

Quote Originally Posted by Knut View Post
    To all of you who have been struggling getting my templates, when needed: my deepest apologies. Powderguide.com is suffering from an unprecedented series of technical issues beyond my control.

I have decided to host my templates externally on my personal google drive. You can find them here until further notice.

Of course you can also -as always- find them via slidewright.com, alongside all the other juicy mounting aids Terry has to offer.

Anyone have extra toes pieces?
    I have some extra heels.

Great travel binding, IMO. Perfect for Japan.
    Last edited by steveski; 11-21-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Sold
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    I finally figured out my issue with Spectres:
    Attachment 204988

The indentation in the front of the boot, right at the toe.
    It doesn't depress the little metal lever that causes the pincers to pinch- so to speak.
    I filled that gap with duct tape, and they work much better.

I did just encounter a surprising problem:
    I insta-teled in a surprising spot, and figured user error. Should have investigated more, but I have found that when I blame myself, I am often correct.
    The next day, I insta-teled again, on consequential terrain- I got back in, looked down, and say excessive heel gap. Managed to remove the ski, .and adjust it with a leatherman. (nice that I didn't have to go into my pack for a Posi drive.)

The adjustment held for another day or 2 touring. No idea why it back up.
    Anybody experience this?
    I have had the Blacks and this is my third season on them. Yesterday this problem came up where one heel moved significantly far back on each skin up and had to be tightened in order to ski. My "guess" is stepping on the low riser on the way up somehow was engaging the binding adjustment screw to back off.

Lindal responded to the quoted post as a warranty issue. I just had them in to the shop for a din check, but they are now 2+ years old and beyond stated warranty. I am going to look at them today and possibly put some vibratite on the threads to see if that solves the problem.

Any experiences/thoughts appreciated.

Mine were backing themselves all the way off the track, meaning the heel piece fell completely off the ski in the skintrack.
    BD replaced the heels, haven't had issues since.

Thanks, I have started a warranty claim

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    Mine were backing themselves all the way off the track, meaning the heel piece fell completely off the ski in the skintrack.
    BD replaced the heels, haven't had issues since.
    What version were yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Fritschi Vipec review thread

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I have had the Blacks and this is my third season on them. Yesterday this problem came up where one heel moved significantly far back on each skin up and had to be tightened in order to ski. My "guess" is stepping on the low riser on the way up somehow was engaging the binding adjustment screw to back off.

Lindal responded to the quoted post as a warranty issue. I just had them in to the shop for a din check, but they are now 2+ years old and beyond stated warranty. I am going to look at them today and possibly put some vibratite on the threads to see if that solves the problem.

Any experiences/thoughts appreciated.
    Black Diamond has warrantied stuff on occassion that is outside the warranty period. Doesn’t hurt to ask them, especially since this is kind of a safety concern.

Can someone else weigh their Vipec Evos (white/blue/black)? My toe seems high and am trying to figure out. I just received these new from backcountry:

My measured weights:

Toe: 270g & 271g
    Heel: 230g
    Brake attachment plate: 40g
    Brake: 70g

The blister info has the toes 50g lighter:

Blister’s Measured Weight:

• Toe pieces: 210 & 214 g (with screws)
    • Heel pieces: 224 & 223 g (with screws)
    • 110 mm Brakes: 81 g each
    • Total Weight per Binding: 515 & 518 grams

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2017-2018-fritschi-vipec-evo

my bad - forgot that Blister's weight was off - corrected in the other thread!

What's the recommended procedure for regular clean/lube of the sliding part of toe piece? My blacks weren't returning to center, presumably after too much dirt on spring hike/bike-to-ski. Called BD and they told me to hit it with a pressure washer, then lube the shit out of it with white lithium spray. Seems to have worked, but I'm feeling like I could do more during the season to prevent this. Apologies if it's been covered, couldn't find literature on lubing.

And yea, my heel pieces back out too, but very slowly. It's noticeable on step in before they get close to falling off the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    What version were yours?
    The "Blacks"
    The last set of heels they gave me were from the evo's

So i'm pretty sure I got myself into trouble but just want to confirm. I mounted my Vipec Evos myself but I mounted the heel unit incorrectly. According to the video on youtube about making a jib for mounting vipecs (i'm not allowed to post links with my new account) the heel should be mounted between the heel plate front and the stop line...well after some forceful screwdriver-ing, that's exactly what i did. However, i think that's wrong and that it should be mounted between the back of the plate and the back stop line. The heel fits perfectly between the two stop lines. I'd post pictures but evidently my new account doesn't allow me to do that.

Can someone confirm this? That I need to move my heel plates forward by quite a bit?
    Related: about to mount these in some old holes. What is the rear travel? I'm in a 327/28.5 and these were mounted for I think 27.5, and I want to use those holes. There is a 7mm difference between the jig lengths of 27.5 and 28.5

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Related: about to mount these in some old holes. What is the rear travel? I'm in a 327/28.5 and these were mounted for I think 27.5, and I want to use those holes. There is a 7mm difference between the jig lengths of 27.5 and 28.5
    24 or 25mm total travel. The Powderguide template locates it real close to the middle of the track.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

the heel should be mounted between the heel plate front and the stop line...However, i think that's wrong and that it should be mounted between the back of the plate and the back stop line.
    Sorry for the lafe reply, but if memory serves me right the binding should be mounted between the stop lines in ski mode, meaning that it does not slide forward or aft of either of said lines when the skiing mode is engaged you are fine. If you run it either slightly aft or forward of the two lines, the main issue is that it can cause breakage or tear out the plate under extreme loads, but I know of people who have skied them behind the line (didn't want to remount) with zero issues.

so the binding should not be fore- or aft of either of these stop lines in ski mode. If you see the rearward one, the binding is too far forward, and if you see the one toward the center of the ski, the binding is too far back.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1200791-a.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	257072

so had this been in skiing mode = too far back, but it is in walk mode so no problems. Dunno if that made sense, i tried to find images online.

Name:	Fritschi-Fritschi-Vipec-Evo-AT-Binding.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	257074

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    You will be fine in your new life 3.5mm behind the line (since 7mm back means your boot's center will move half that distance if i am thinking about this correctly), and still have a whopping 5.5mm of adjustable range

How are the brakes running on these nowadays? I want to order a set for Countdown 104Ls. 100 brake or 110?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    How are the brakes running on these nowadays? I want to order a set for Countdown 104Ls. 100 brake or 110?
    From the tecton thread:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=5497922

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Griff And Or View Post
    From the tecton thread:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=5497922

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks! Sounds like 100s will work fine.

Wat r braks

Seriously though. Brakes are about 15% of the total weight

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Brakes are for putting skis together when you have to scramble and you wear mittens because you have Reynauds and cold hands and voile straps are a pain in the ass
    Because every time you take your mittens off your fingers go numb and ruin the rest of your trip. So I stick to throwing my skis together with brakes
    YMMV

Yes I realize voile straps are not impossible with mittens but for most day tours I am fine with the weight

If I think weight is going to bug me I have a pair of g3 synapses with salomon mtn bindings..with brakes

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

I bought a pair of Helio 95s mounted with Vipecs off my local CL. These were previously demos and the Vipecs have demo plates underneath them.

Any idea if I will need to drill new holes on the skis in order to mount the bindings directly on the skis without demo plates?

Name:	IMG_20181121_091753.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	258008

Name:	IMG_20181121_091758.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	258009

they seem to be the same based off off this

https://www.wildsnow.com/11228/mount...ritschi-vipec/

or, the rear seems the same - my guess is that the front would be specified to be different if different, but that is a big assumption. Finding out should be easy enough - slide off the front, unmount the front binding from the plate and then see if the holes in the binding matches the screws that are holding the other plate attached to the ski.

And yes, if they do match and you do not need the rental plates no more, please keep me in me in mind if you decide to sell them

I just mounted a pair of Vipec Blacks I picked up over the summer. I'm having an issue where the retainer clip that holds the brakes up moves with the heelpiece when I switch it to touring mode so that the brakes don't stay up. Is this a common case of needing some lubrication or did I do something on the install wrong?