Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    2 more days of skiing. One instance of tour mode creep. Catching up a partner, so took a look down mid run and I noticed that one of the heel pieces had somehow unclicked from locked ski mode (the release mechanism was slightly down). The heel assembly had not yet slid back on the track. So, I clicked it back into place and carried on. No idea how or why it happened, so I just figure I will keep a close eye on it.
    Last edited by greasyslope; 02-08-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Typo

I'd call BD about it. Sounds like a warranty issue?

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    2 more days of skiing. One instance of tour mode creep. Catching up a partner, so took a look down mid run and I noticed that one of the heel pieces had somehow unclicked from locked ski mode (the release mechanism was slightly down). The heel asse I mbly had not yet slid back on the track. So, I clicked it back into place and carried on. No idea how or why it happened, so I just figure I will keep a close eye on it.
    Maybe a freezing issue?

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    This is part report and part question.

First, the question. Has anyone had any issues with spontaneous telemark mode?

I have Vipec Blacks, mounted on Billy Goats, using the latest vintage Cochise 130 boot. I am a fairly big guy (6'3" 225 lbs), and although I don't ski as aggressively as I used to, I still ski pretty hard.

I have had 3 instances of "holy shit", my heel is free, so far in about 8 days on the bindings. Besides that I have been quite pleased. In all cases, I wasn't doing anything particularly strenuous right when the release occurred. Today, I actually crashed, and the toe released nicely. I am fairly certain that in 2 of the instances I had been skiing multiple runs without issue, prior to setting my heel free. After the 2nd occurrence, I tried to fine tune the mini tech gap for the heel, and I had hoped that I had solved the problem, until it happened again today.

I have very little experience with other tech bindings. I know about some of them having a similar issue on a softer ski that gets overflexed. I haven't seen anything similar on the Vipec. I need to try to be better about doing a visual check of the heelpiece at the top of each run, to try to mitigate the problem.

So, if anyone has any insight, that would be great. So, if I could stop telemarking, I think I would be happy overall. TIA
    First run on the Black last season after skinning up inbound early season to the top of Keystone - same thing...opened it up (ha, early season groom) and right heal went spontaneous tele-mode. 46mph to 0 in no time.

Since learned that IT WAS me NOT ensuring the lower/rear piece FIRMLY snaps up, locking the binding.

For what its worth, the new 2.0 toe is substantially improved and thus far, no icing in the heal piece (cant count the # of times I had to piss on the 1st gen heal after a tour to thaw the ice in the cavity.

anyone want a used 1st gen (with 2nd gen heals)...washed after each use...

(a little bit off-topic question, but don't want to open separate thread)

Is there anywhere in the interwebz the place where I can order Vipec parts or separate toes/heels at least?
    Something like skimo.co, but with Fritschi stuff. Googled it, nothing but diff color toe inserts found.

I filed the bracket that holds the brakes, without filing the tour mode stoppers and the brakes work well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    (a little bit off-topic question, but don't want to open separate thread)

Is there anywhere in the interwebz the place where I can order Vipec parts or separate toes/heels at least?
    Something like skimo.co, but with Fritschi stuff. Googled it, nothing but diff color toe inserts found.
    Call Black Diamond. They're the official Frischi US distributor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Hi-

Brakes are sticking. I know some folks have dealt with this. Could somebody just link me to the answer to my problem.
    I know it seems lazy, but 21 pages on this slow computer....

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Try filing in these two places. I talk about it in the review I wrote for Blister Gear Review, but they didn't publish the photo for whatever reason. Be careful and go slowly. If you file away too much material, you can make it so that the brakes won't stay retracted when in tour mode. The tolerances are real tight on these parts and Fritschi hasn't perfected it yet. These areas can also pack with snow and sometimes cause the brakes to fail to deploy. I experienced this over the weekend. I might end up filing a bit more. It'd be cool to see a functional revision here for next season to make them deploy more reliably.

Attachment 196972
    There you go. I only filed the area in the left circle.

I am going to fill my heel piece track with grease. Maybe that will prevent the rare freezing issue, or will it just end up collecting crud?
    Last edited by daught; 02-24-2017 at 06:43 PM.

If u bought them legit and not 2nd hand etc BD should send u new heal pieces with the gaps filled in. I got both of mine replaced. Alternatively you could fill them with something permanent...other than grease...being careful of course

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    If u bought them legit and not 2nd hand etc BD should send u new heal pieces with the gaps filled in. I got both of mine replaced. Alternatively you could fill them with something permanent...other than grease...being careful of course
    I thought the final version of the whites were "fixed", and no further changes were made to the heels.

Does anyone know how to properly select the toe block that releases the toe after the heel comes out in a forward fall? I just got mine mounted, and I want to make sure the toe block is correct. The instructions are unclear, and I read through most of this thread and didn't see anything about it (but apologies if I missed something).

I have Scarpa Maestrale RS boots. The small bumper seems to release the binding once the boot pivots about 90 degrees from horizontal. The medium bumper seems to work too, and maybe releases at a slightly lower angle. Neither one looks ideal, though, since the boot kind of pushes straight down rather than pushing the lever towards release. The high bumper actually switches it to walk mode instead of releasing!

Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
    Does anyone know how to properly select the toe block that releases the toe after the heel comes out in a forward fall? I just got mine mounted, and I want to make sure the toe block is correct. The instructions are unclear, and I read through most of this thread and didn't see anything about it (but apologies if I missed something).

I have Scarpa Maestrale RS boots. The small bumper seems to release the binding once the boot pivots about 90 degrees from horizontal. The medium bumper seems to work too, and maybe releases at a slightly lower angle. Neither one looks ideal, though, since the boot kind of pushes straight down rather than pushing the lever towards release. The high bumper actually switches it to walk mode instead of releasing!
    Lower angle meaning earlier, or later? I go for later, as in almost knee on ski. I like my ski to stay on If I'm being a knucklehead in the skin track.

I don't get your walk mode comments. The bumper does not force the toe to release (or a shift to ski mode) when you're in walk mode. Perhaps it would if I exerted a huge amount of force, but I'm not going to force the issue.

Edit: I double-checked, and with my Mango Maestrales (last year's), I'm using the bumper which requires about 110 degrees of travel to release the toe. IIRC, the other bumper didn't even work - meaning that the boot rotated even further and yet didn't release. These are last year's Black Vipecs.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-11-2017 at 02:26 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Even with filing these brakes don't release when the bindings have some hard snow. The spring is just too weak. Were there any improvements made over the generations?

What are the fusible leashes options?

Vipec heel spacer

EDIT: Moved post here, where it's more relevant: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...08#post4980608
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-27-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Yeah, at least with DIN/tech Cochise there's no easy "stepping in" with Vipecs. I keep the toe closed, spread the pincers 90% with ski pole, hook one pin, line up the other, and let the pressure off the toe lever. Ions are solid and 100x easier to step in, but I do like the Vipec's horizontal toe release.

I'm thinking of getting the EVO for next season. I'm sure the ramp will be the same? Bobby, do you like the ramp angle? I hate my old Dukes because of the flat ramp.

Say ramp again, I dare you.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

plugboots -the ramp angle for next year's binding is the same as this years and the year before

1000 and flowing - might just be repeating what was posted before but one trick for me is to hook the one pin on the side then step in. i also swish the snow off the binding with the pole tip as i found that wet heavy whistler concrete gummed up tech bindings. But they gummed up the vipecs even more.

I've also had luck using this method here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1iZlhKZA6U

^ No doubt that would work with a rockered sole AT boot, but Cochise DIN soles are too thin to push the toe trigger without dropping the sockets below the pins. I have WTR soles now, will see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the EVO for next season. I'm sure the ramp will be the same? Bobby, do you like the ramp angle? I hate my old Dukes because of the flat ramp.
    It's really a boot thing, not a Vipec thing. I probably should have posted my shim photo to the Cochise thread instead of the Vipec thread.

Cochise in Beast must be crazy flat ramp, or even negative.

My dislike/incompatibility with my OG Dukes because of the stack height more than ramp angle.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ No doubt that would work with a rockered sole AT boot, but Cochise DIN soles are too thin to push the toe trigger without dropping the sockets below the pins. I have WTR soles now, will see if it helps.
    Oh hey I have the Atomic Hawx with WTR soles and it works! Good news. Same with Dalbello Lupo TI with has Gripwalk soles. So that is kinda good news

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    My dislike/incompatibility with my OG Dukes because of the stack height more than ramp angle.

... Thom
    Isn't the "stack height" of most tech bindings (that have brakes) in the same neighborhood as Dukes?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Isn't the "stack height" of most tech bindings (that have brakes) in the same neighborhood as Dukes?
    Maybe you're right about this. I wish I had them to check. Theyre on a friend's skis, and I'll report back

My perception of them was one of medial knee strain - slow edge changes which was also noticable when skating. All slong, I've attributed this to stack height.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    slow edge changes which was also noticable when skating. All slong, I've attributed this to stack height.

... Thom
    We're they new and tight, or old and sloppy?
    Marker rail bindings in general develop a fair bit of lateral slop and play over time IME.