Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Canada Trip What Mountain(s)?

So finally planning a Canada ski trip for first week of March. So big question is what mountain (Maybe I can hit several). My narrowed list is:

• Whitewater (first choice right now)
    • Red Mountain
    • Revelstoke
    • Kicking horse

Criteria is snowfall, lower crowds, terrain - you get it. Open to other suggestions too.

May fly into Spokane and rent vehicle.

Also, let me know if anyone is interested in going.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Rent vehicle, check weather report, drive to spot with deepest snow, and then ski.

I had a two week trip back in 2004 that I flew into Calgary and intended to ski the spots you listed above...I ended up driving to Tahoe for a major storm.

Be flexible don't pre-book anything and just go where the snow is.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Rent vehicle, check weather report, drive to spot with deepest snow, and then ski.

I had a two week trip back in 2004 that I flew into Calgary and intended to ski the spots you listed above...I ended up driving to Tahoe for a major storm.

I try to book last minute, but sometimes I have to plan around work etc... Plus part of it is to just ski in Western Canada.

You can still fly into Calgary or Spokane or whatever and hit any of the aforementioned depending on snowfall. Buy a plane ticket, rent a car, worry about the details later.

The places you listed make a hell of a good loop, throw Fernie onto your list and go where the snow is deepest... all are within 4 (or so) hours of Nelson.

Whitewater/Red are closest to Spokane. As already mentioned you can easily drive up to Revy (or further to KH) if there is more snow there.

check driving distances, Calgary to Nelson is ~7hr drive.

What about next week? I'm coming from N Idaho and have been following the various inland BC threads but any beta from people that have hit various resorts lately would be great. I know I probably missed the best snow by a week but I can't control my time off anymore.. Solo trip so would be looking at lift access unless someone wants to meet up for a tour if there's any safe snow.

Quote Originally Posted by NWskibum View Post
    What about next week? I'm coming from N Idaho and have been following the various inland BC threads but any beta from people that have hit various resorts lately would be great. I know I probably missed the best snow by a week but I can't control my time off anymore.. Solo trip so would be looking at lift access unless someone wants to meet up for a tour if there's any safe snow.
    I wish, but I would be killed by my boss and girlfriend. Plus will be in Snowbird following week.

i had a really fun day at Apex one trip a few years back. Mostly because of the lack of crowds. The First Nations were protesting a sewer line project or sumpin' and weren't letting contractors up the road. The media, however, played it like the whole resort was closed, so nobody showed up. It was pretty awesome skiing that day...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I think I'd delay it if you can. I was at WW/Red last weekend and the wind/freezing level were high.
    We had a great trip, but it could be crusty now.

Mcwop:

Book your flight into GEG on SWA and a rental car. If conditions don't look good, cancel the whole shebang gratis.

ya.. I wish it was possible but no longer a ski bum with that kind of freedom unfortunately. Whistler any better or did it warm up enough there to mess up all the new snow?

Warm as sweaty balls on the coast.

There are no mountains up here. If there were, it would be too warm to have snow. Stay home

But no, seriously, it is a below average season thus far up here.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Revelstoke has a good base, but the forecast isn't looking great for the next few weeks: http://www.mountainweatherservices.c...o_ShredFX.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I think I'd delay it if you can. I was at WW/Red last weekend and the wind/freezing level were high.
    We had a great trip, but it could be crusty now.

Mcwop:

Book your flight into GEG on SWA and a rental car. If conditions don't look good, cancel the whole shebang gratis.
    ww is not crusty. we have a 200c base and the snow is awesome. we've tracked most of it up tho. good time for touring this week. no snow in the forecast, but maybe/hopefully there will be next week.

the rest, yeah- fly to Spokane, rent a car, watch the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    ww is not crusty. we have a 200c base and the snow is awesome. we've tracked most of it up tho. good time for touring this week. no snow in the forecast, but maybe/hopefully there will be next week.

the rest, yeah- fly to Spokane, rent a car, watch the snow.
    Well so far I blocked my work cal for that week.

Fernie, Banff, Castle Mtn..
    long live the jahrator

don't book accom, just chase the snow.

castle mtn can be wind raped, but can be the best day of the year ...

fernie and WW can get way too warm, but could be your deepest day of the season ...

kicking horse and lake louise can be icy rock fests, or could give up super gnar lines ...

revy could be winter up top and summer at the base, or just mud, personally I'm over revy ...

sunshine is great if you know where to go, so get a mag guide ...

forget kimberly, nakiska,pano ...

the biggest probs with both revy and KH is there is only 1 way to the top, thus weekends are a joke. unless you like standing in a cue for $90. high wind makes KH harsh.
    castle mtn is the sleeper. the snow report can be missleading. winds can refill lines, or rape the upper mtn. "ledgendary wind sift" with far less crowds. that and they don't always post big dumps, if you think they got snow and its still showing yesterdys snow report. there is probably a foot or more.

KH is best with a local/guide, so many secrets that take years to find the last of the pow.

like others have said, get a car and everything is no more than 4hours apart ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

^Highly advised. I have learned my lesson about pre-deciding on a location, then being disappointed.

Shames

But maybe you're scared...
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

ya.. I wish it was possible but no longer a ski bum with that kind of freedom unfortunately. Whistler any better or did it warm up enough there to mess up all the new snow?
    Forget about Whistler for the next two weeks, it's about to get cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwop View Post
    Criteria is snowfall, lower crowds, terrain - you get it. Open to other suggestions too.

May fly into Spokane and rent vehicle.

Also, let me know if anyone is interested in going.
    Like others have posted, in re: snowfall, coverage and conditions will vary a lot between places, too early to tell, but 1st week of March oughta have at least reasonable base most anywhere - hopefully - early season appears not so promising thus far.

As far as easy access, direct from Spokane is a good plan, especially w/SWA flights being pretty cheap. Red and WW are easy, coupla hours. Revy and Kicking will be several more hours drive from Rossland or Nelson through tortuous tiny roads and a ferry crossing, may take longer depending on conditions. First time I did it, I rented a 2WD econobox, which was pretty terrifying for parts of the trip, go for a 4WD if you can.

If you have some bux to spend, think about cat skiing on the Powder Highway, many outfits to choose from. If you're touring, or even sidecountrying, many many choices for all 4 on your list, (Rogers Pass between Revy and KH is world-class touring) but local beta/guiding will be paramount. Crowds won't be bad relative to some places, though KH can be super annoying in the way everything bottlenecks at the bottom gondy, and waiting in that line can get tedious for that reason alone.

Revy and KH probably have gnarlier terrain overall, again depending on conditions, though w/Red's expansion, I dunno what new stuff is on offer. WW is probably the least steep of the 4, but still plenty of good terrain options.

Others have mentioned Castle and Fernie, etc. Great places, though a little more involved to get to, unless you're flying into Calgary, which costs way more than Spokeland.

I'd like to join ya, but I'll be there last couple of weeks of Feb, so unfortunately we won't overlap. Plus, one of the weeks I'll be on a hut trip. Maybe we can chat if we meet when you get out to Snowbird - you're gonna be here when Tipp's getting people together, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Like others have posted, in re: snowfall, coverage and conditions will vary a lot between places, too early to tell, but 1st week of March oughta have at least reasonable base most anywhere - hopefully - early season appears not so promising thus far.

As far as easy access, direct from Spokane is a good plan, especially w/SWA flights being pretty cheap. Red and WW are easy, coupla hours. Revy and Kicking will be several more hours drive from Rossland or Nelson through tortuous tiny roads and a ferry crossing, may take longer depending on conditions. First time I did it, I rented a 2WD econobox, which was pretty terrifying for parts of the trip, go for a 4WD if you can.

If you have some bux to spend, think about cat skiing on the Powder Highway, many outfits to choose from. If you're touring, or even sidecountrying, many many choices for all 4 on your list, (Rogers Pass between Revy and KH is world-class touring) but local beta/guiding will be paramount. Crowds won't be bad relative to some places, though KH can be super annoying in the way everything bottlenecks at the bottom gondy, and waiting in that line can get tedious for that reason alone.

Revy and KH probably have gnarlier terrain overall, again depending on conditions, though w/Red's expansion, I dunno what new stuff is on offer. WW is probably the least steep of the 4, but still plenty of good terrain options.

Others have mentioned Castle and Fernie, etc. Great places, though a little more involved to get to, unless you're flying into Calgary, which costs way more than Spokeland.

I'd like to join ya, but I'll be there last couple of weeks of Feb, so unfortunately we won't overlap. Plus, one of the weeks I'll be on a hut trip. Maybe we can chat if we meet when you get out to Snowbird - you're gonna be here when Tipp's getting people together, right?
    Yep, I will be at Snowbird for the Tipp trip. Look forward to chatting. Hoping Snowbird will get some snow. But in the end, as an east coaster, even crappy conditions by west standards is good for me. I will happily lap groomers and bumps, especially when it takes me 10 seconds to get down my local hill where the biggest challenge is dodging beginnners.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    don't book accom, just chase the snow.

castle mtn can be wind raped, but can be the best day of the year ...

fernie and WW can get way too warm, but could be your deepest day of the season ...

kicking horse and lake louise can be icy rock fests, or could give up super gnar lines ...

revy could be winter up top and summer at the base, or just mud, personally I'm over revy ...

sunshine is great if you know where to go, so get a mag guide ...

forget kimberly, nakiska,pano ...

the biggest probs with both revy and KH is there is only 1 way to the top, thus weekends are a joke. unless you like standing in a cue for $90. high wind makes KH harsh.
    castle mtn is the sleeper. the snow report can be missleading. winds can refill lines, or rape the upper mtn. "ledgendary wind sift" with far less crowds. that and they don't always post big dumps, if you think they got snow and its still showing yesterdys snow report. there is probably a foot or more.

KH is best with a local/guide, so many secrets that take years to find the last of the pow.

like others have said, get a car and everything is no more than 4hours apart ...
    Thanks, this is good beta.

Shames & Powder King
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller