Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    A good stage will be 80/20 in it's ratio of down/up.

When you are pinning the down then get slammed with small short ups mid stage it's anaerobic hell. I raced XC back in the early/mid 90's and this is a different kind of hell, it's full sprint climbing. People forget about the flats also, again it's full finish line style sprint for any spot you can put in the pedal strokes.

Good stages are also much longer than traditional DH, so muscle endurance plays a factor. It's like when supercross moto guys talk about how physical it is, just because you have an engine on the moto doesn't automatically make it easy.

A good Enduro will have just enough climbing on the clocks to separate the wheat from the chaff, but again it's all broken up into timed stages and you have the untimed liaison sections in between.

To really fire you up search out some of the euro Enduro's that are all lift assist. Huge vertical numbers, but the bulk is achieved via ski lifts.

I totally get that. I grew up racing In Florida as well as the Appalachians, and the best races were when the mountain kids cam down to race - they were so used to big climb, big descent that they just didnt know how to ride a race that you had to be on the gas non stop. I still love those type of courses (the big bear 2x12 race in wv and my now home track curt gowdy are both like that).

Lift accessed enduro... That's actually some of the first real enduro (ie not local stuff) I saw. I was so disappointed. I assume those are more like enduro style endurance dh and not the "all mountain" esque races you guys are talking about.

Btw, what are bike choices looking like for the BME races? I simplified everything last year and made my only trail bike a single speed yelli screamy with a Marz 44 up front, wide bards and Stan's flow rims. It's my do it all bike - I race cx, super d, endurance, etc on it. How would I be in an enduro on that? I'm looking for an excuse to get a 26 or maybe 650b fs bike, but I probably shouldn't....

Edit: I know I'd want gears back on.

Maybe I should take this to pinkbike, I haven't started a fight over there yet lol

Cyborg we have a local race that you would really enjoy.

http://www.nimbyfifty.com/

The Nimby Fifty in Pemberton. The course is almost all singletrack and it ain't no groomed sidewalk crap. Bulk of the climbing is challenging singletrack and the descending is rowdy.

It's the type of "true test" to find the fastest all arounders. The top level national XC guys still win out at it.

That looks very awesome. Im probably stuck in Wyoming for may, but we'll see. I've put a lot of cash into ski season and figured I'd hang around here and race over the summer, but you're tempting me to drop my idea of a ski mountaineering trip to the winds and drive up to pemberton...

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    I totally get that. I grew up racing In Florida as well as the Appalachians, and the best races were when the mountain kids cam down to race - they were so used to big climb, big descent that they just didnt know how to ride a race that you had to be on the gas non stop. I still love those type of courses (the big bear 2x12 race in wv and my now home track curt gowdy are both like that).

Lift accessed enduro... That's actually some of the first real enduro (ie not local stuff) I saw. I was so disappointed. I assume those are more like enduro style endurance dh and not the "all mountain" esque races you guys are talking about.

Btw, what are bike choices looking like for the BME races? I simplified everything last year and made my only trail bike a single speed yelli screamy with a Marz 44 up front, wide bards and Stan's flow rims. It's my do it all bike - I race cx, super d, endurance, etc on it. How would I be in an enduro on that? I'm looking for an excuse to get a 26 or maybe 650b fs bike, but I probably shouldn't....

Edit: I know I'd want gears back on.

Maybe I should take this to pinkbike, I haven't started a fight over there yet lol
    Unless you are an absolute beast on the bike you'll get worked on the hardtail in the DH.

Locally there are several guys that are top 10 riders in the Masters class on hardtails, but they happen to also be old school national /WC level XC racers.

Best bike is something with 140-160mm travel, slack angles, firm pedalling platform, slack angles, low bb. The new Giant's 27.5 Trance or Rocky Mountain Altitude fit the bill.

Finstah Guest
    I imagine you are familiar with this one too: http://laramieenduro.org/. If you're not, you should consider it as it sounds like it may be right up your alley. It's generally considered one of the best run and funnest Endurance XC events in the Intermountain West region.

Yup, I missed it last year but will definitely be doing it this time around. Did you do it? How was it?

I'll give it a shot on the yelli then. Part of building the bike was to try to get myself to ride everything on it. The short stays make it surprisingly easy on the rear wheel (for a 29er), and it descends like a bat out of hell. Most versatile frame I've ever owned.

Finstah Guest
    Not last year. It hurts... in a good way. It also fills up very quickly, so be on it.

Yeah I saw that. I'll make sure to mark my calendar.

What BME races do you guys recommend?

If the mtb enduro guys really want to up the game they will make the transfer sections harder and limit your time to do it.

I've lost time in moto enduros with transfer sections like that. It keeps the event moving and less waiting around at the start of a timed stage.

...there can be a lot of waiting around at mtb enduros...i really hope that changes soon

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    ...there can be a lot of waiting around at mtb enduros...i really hope that changes soon
    The better enduros I've done have had no waiting around at all. They didn't do a restart at the beginning of each stage; you just roll through and the clock starts when you cross the start line. This works great because 1) if there are slow people in front of you, you can wait to cross the line and give them some room - your start is only dictated by when you want to go; 2) it means that there's not a ton of waiting at the start of each stage - if you don't want to wait, you don't have to, and 3) it means that you can, if you want, do the race as a point to point xc race (and at least two of the enduros I did had a separate category of prizes for fastest overall time).

Sounds like there's a lot of variability depending on the race you do. Personally I think that's good - gives each event it's own character and keeps it interesting. Not saying that a poorly run event has "character", that just becomes frustrating.

Exactly. Each promoter has their own interpretation of what mtb enduro is. That is what makes it fun.

Behind the scenes USAcycling wants to ruin that fun with their retarded rule book.

I think a lot of the differences in the formats come as a result of logistics and available timing equipment. Enduros are a lot more complicated to run than an xc race.

True and true. Other factors are there though. Chainless DH stages for one. Love em and hate em

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Cyborg we have a local race that you would really enjoy.

http://www.nimbyfifty.com/

The Nimby Fifty in Pemberton. The course is almost all singletrack and it ain't no groomed sidewalk crap. Bulk of the climbing is challenging singletrack and the descending is rowdy.

It's the type of "true test" to find the fastest all arounders. The top level national XC guys still win out at it.
    Shirk are you serious ?
    Didn't I just read he grew up racing in Florida ?
    That is some bad ass racing on the nimby for sure. I love that there is the Redbull Downhill within the race. Believe it or not, there are some people that walk portions of the downhill. No IMBA paving here. It's a fine balance to pin it up those 100 some odd switchbacks to the summit knowing that you have to race the downhill, which you still have to redline the heart rate to do well. That is my favorite race on the West coast for sure. Since we are whipping our dicks out, I will join in on the fun and proclaim my dominance in a win for the downhill this year. "my age category of course"

But seriously Cyborg, you should come out and race it. It is "All XC" and one ass kicker to boot. Enduro it is not.

This thread continues to deliver the Lulz.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    Shirk are you serious ?
    Didn't I just read he grew up racing in Florida ?
    That is some bad ass racing on the nimby for sure. I love that there is the Redbull Downhill within the race. Believe it or not, there are some people that walk portions of the downhill. No IMBA paving here. It's a fine balance to pin it up those 100 some odd switchbacks to the summit knowing that you have to race the downhill, which you still have to redline the heart rate to do well. That is my favorite race on the West coast for sure. Since we are whipping our dicks out, I will join in on the fun and proclaim my dominance in a win for the downhill this year. "my age category of course"
    I think all flatlanders should ride some Pemberton, Squamish and North Van XC. It's good for them and fine entertainment for all.

Look, to all who want to keep shitting on the fact that I raced and rode outside of the holy Rocky Mountain region, I know you think you must know all that about racing and riding because your an epic mountain bro, but some of the top racers and riders in the country have come out of the south. So fuck off. Guess who beat the shit out of your Colorado boys at collegiate nats, both downhill and xc? The NC boys. I could keep going but it's clearly going to be lost on you. I'm sick and fucking tired of hearing how lame everything outside of the Rockies must be. Have you ridden anywhere outside of the Rockies? If not, shut the fuck up and quit being dicks

Sorry for that. I'm just getting slightly annoyed. I hear it from mountain bros all the time about how everything else sucks except for Colorado + adjacent regions.

I can have a civil conversation now.

Many, if not most of the people on this board have been riding for longer than you and have ridden a wider variety of trails. I get that you really really like the trails in NC. That's very nice.

I like trails everywhere. I'm not sure how you can say that, given you have no idea where I've ridden nor how long. I enjoy trails from Virginia to Washington. It's just comical when you guys are shitting on someone for riding in a section of the country that is where many great riders choose to live and is well known for its technical trails. It makes it seem like you don't have a clue. At the same time, I know that in the interest of harassment, logic takes a backseat.

There are fantastic trails and races everywhere. You can find good mtb in all sorts of places. This isn't skiing; you just build a trail and ride it. So cut the whole west supremacy.

Well, we know how long you've been riding because you bragged about it a page or two back. And when did I ever say that the west was supreme? And who's shitting on NC riding?

Nobody cares where you ride or how badass you clearly think you are. You're the guy who brags about skiing at Alta. If you want to brag about you and your trail's awesomeness, make a new thread and post up some stoke. In the meantime, fuck off beater.

This thread has become tiresome. See you guys in Moab.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Well, we know how long you've been riding because you bragged about it a page or two back. And when did I ever say that the west was supreme? And who's shitting on NC riding?

Nobody cares where you ride or how badass you clearly think you are. You're the guy who brags about skiing at Alta. If you want to brag about you and your trail's awesomeness, make a new thread and post up some stoke. In the meantime, fuck off beater.
    Toast, I never bragged about it. I got attacked and you (or someone else) questioned my credibility. I said I'd raced for a decade. And several people put me down for being "fresh from the east coast" (I'm from the south, so I resent that as if I don't know what I'm talking about. There were also comments about "flat landers", as if somehow anything but the high mountains are flat.

The whole thing started because I asked about the timing and was sincerely wondering how it was done and why. Just because I am not up on the latest racing fad doesn't mean I'm an ignorant troll. I admit I took the bait a few times and engaged in the pissing match. I also made fun of the "big mountain" tag. I apologize. I didn't mean it to turn into that.

I'm sure you're a very experienced rider and have seen and know a lot. I'd also guess you've got at least a decade or two on me in age, which equals experience as well. I respect that. I'd just ask that instead of being personally attacked, perhaps you give me the same respect. I'm a relative newbie at lots of things - from skiing to mountaineering to mechanical engineering. But I know a little something about mtb and cycling in general, so maybe you can respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    maybe you can respect that.
    No one respects you. You explaining yourself a dozen times will not change that. So seriously-just shut the fuck up already.

The only respect you could possibly gain is recognizing that a lot of really awesome sprocket posters have entertained you and you stupid fucking questions, and more or less kindly asked you to shut up and go away. You could do that.

You are single handedly trolling/cunting up a thread which was intended to be primarily for regular sprocket contributors/members who know each other and race with one another over the summer. (If you hung out a bit without spraying shit everywhere, you would pick up on that).

You basically taken all the steam out of what would otherwise be a cool, ongoing race thread which could have provided stoke for everyone over the summer. Nice job.

Shut up and sit down.