Movement Shift, 1-day review

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Very interesting ski. Much better than other light fat AT options I've tried so far. I read DPS will re-introduce the w105 soon, and this makes a lot of senses because it used to be the gold standard in this category. A decision between the Shift and the w105 will be tough.

Just a shame its not got a bigger radius imo

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Just a shame its not got a bigger radius imo
    The thing about Movement skis though... with the extremely low profile tapered tip, they don't hook up in any snow condition, and they initiate a turn very smoothly, so if you are throttling through shit fuck conditions they won't twitch on you.

IMHO they are much better that way, since you still can make a quick turn if you want/need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    The thing about Movement skis though... with the extremely low profile tapered tip, they don't hook up in any snow condition, and they initiate a turn very smoothly, so if you are throttling through shit fuck conditions they won't twitch on you.

IMHO they are much better that way, since you still can make a quick turn if you want/need to.
    This x 2
    It took time to movement to tune this, but now it's really this way

See the Shift did well in this years review of touring skis in FriFlyt. It has a flex index of 66555.

PS! The G3 Zen C3 105 won the test in the wider segment but it's quite a lot stiffer at 77765.

Quote Originally Posted by superdigg View Post
    See the Shift did well in this years review of touring skis in FriFlyt. It has a flex index of 66555.

PS! The G3 Zen C3 105 won the test in the wider segment but it's quite a lot stiffer at 77765.
    Very interesting, tnanks! Any way to get a link to the friflyt test results? There is an italian AT magazine which measures torsion and flex of AT skis, the shift is more or less in the medium values as for flex

A subscription will get you access to a searchable online archive going back to the dawn of time.

friflyt@aboservice.no will probably be helpful
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post

Coincidentally, I found the Down 6 to offer a similar experience with limited testing.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Coincidentally, I found the Down 6 to offer a similar experience with limited testing.
    Skied both down6 and shift. Totally different ski, totally different feeling. I could not imagine anything more different despite being similar for size and weight. The long front rockerof the 6 has nothing to do with the minirocker of the shift. Than, anyone has his way to ski and his preferences, but these skis are pretty different

Which year were the ones you tried?

I bought this years ski.

Unfortunately I misplaced the skins cut for them, so they are now standing idle until I get some more.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Skied both down6 and shift. Totally different ski, totally different feeling. I could not imagine anything more different despite being similar for size and weight. The long front rockerof the 6 has nothing to do with the minirocker of the shift. Than, anyone has his way to ski and his preferences, but these skis are pretty different
    I never said they were the same ski, bud. Chill. I simply thought some of this sounded familiar:

"with the extremely low profile tapered tip, they don't hook up in any snow condition, and they initiate a turn very smoothly, so if you are throttling through shit fuck conditions they won't twitch on you. "

It was the "low profile" which caught my attention.

What ever.
    Life is not lift served.

I bought this years ski.
    That's what I thought. Verb was on last year's.

The new rocker profile on them has significantly improved their performance in harder snow, crud and on piste, so you're not really arguing over the same ski.

I never said they were the same ski, bud. Chill. I simply thought some of this sounded familiar:

"with the extremely low profile tapered tip, they don't hook up in any snow condition, and they initiate a turn very smoothly, so if you are throttling through shit fuck conditions they won't twitch on you. "

It was the "low profile" which caught my attention.

What ever.
    Did not want to be aggro, but the comparison was very odd.... Now that SiSt has told about the new 6, I understand

Guess I shouldn't have butted in. I was just in a good mood at the time.
    Life is not lift served.

Got out on my Shift's yesterday, I'm pretty impressed with them. Skied the chop and powders pretty well. Weight was off by +100 grams vs what's on their web site, but I think they have a pretty good weight to fun factor, so no biggie.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Scored a 177 at the end of last season, mounted with radical st and using tlt 6's, 180cm 75 kg. I'm really impressed after 2 days of lots of everything minus pow. Strong ski for the weight but still drivable with tlt's. Nice edge hold, easy to ski, floats better than its width would suggest. Not as effortless as my bond x on the way up, but what is. Seems to tack on 3 min/hour of skinning which isn't bad considering fun factor on way down. Looking forward to better snow (aren't we all in the alps).
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Very interesting ski. Much better than other light fat AT options I've tried so far. I read DPS will re-introduce the w105 soon, and this makes a lot of senses because it used to be the gold standard in this category. A decision between the Shift and the w105 will be tough.
    So, why, Verbier, did you not post the review/dims etc here? Do you find Facebook to be a better forum for ski reviews?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    So, why, Verbier, did you not post the review/dims etc here? Do you find Facebook to be a better forum for ski reviews?
    I've been too busy lately with the festival I organize in Milan, and had no time to translate the reviews in english from the fb page. Really sorry but this is the harsh reality. Do not believe fb is better than TGR, they serve different folks. Just a matter of time.