Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alpental passholders ski/ride free next year.

This just in: season pass holders at the summit at snoqualmie have their passes carried over to next year. Maybe Crystal and Stevens will follow suit.

March 22, 2005

Dear Season Passholders,

First and foremost, we want to thank you for the incredible support and patience you have shown throughout the past three months. No question, the "winter" of 04-05 has treated the Northwest very poorly and has affected many lives in unkind ways. I know that all of you purchased your pass with the anticipation of many days of great skiing or riding amidst the plentiful Northwest snowfalls to which we've all become accustomed.

We want you to know that you, Big S Passholders, are our most valued customers. Many of you have held passes for many seasons and have intentions of holding passes for years to come. Others may have purchased for the first time and we are honored you selected The Summit this year to call your home mountain. It has always been, and most certainly remains, our goal to have the Big S Pass known as the best value in Northwest skiing and riding.

With this in mind, we are very pleased to announce to you that we intend to extend the skiing and riding privileges for all 2004-05 Big S Passholders at no charge for the entire 05-06 season! As you can well imagine, this represents a serious financial commitment on our part, but given the nature of this past season, we feel strongly that to protect the trust and loyalty you have placed in us, it is the right thing to do. It is with great pleasure and anticipation that we look forward to welcoming you back next year to a very snowy season! We will be in touch directly with you in the coming weeks with more information and details regarding the extension.

We are also pleased so many of you have taken advantage of using your pass privileges at our sister resorts, Northstar-at-Tahoe, and Sierra-at-Tahoe. Both resorts have loads of snow and are expecting great spring seasons. Our offer of free skiing at both resorts with your Big S Pass is still valid for the remainder of the season so if you get the chance, we encourage you to get some turns in sometime in the next few weeks.

Lastly, we still have not completely given up hope on snow this year! If we are lucky enough to get adequate snow in the next week or two, we may re-open for limited operations yet this year. It just isn't in our nature to give up! We know many of you would still love to get some turns in this year, and if we are so lucky, we look forward to helping make that happen.

Once again, I want to personally thank you for the huge amount of support you have all shown through this very difficult year. While this has certainly been the most difficult season I have experienced in my 25-year career at The Summit, I am very proud of the tremendous efforts our team has put forth to make the most out of a difficult situation. Thank you to so many for noticing and letting us know. Your positive feedback has been greatly appreciated by the entire Summit team.

We look forward to seeing you next year.

Sincerely,

Dan Brewster
    General Manager

That is fucking awesome. Too bad the rest of the NW resorts will undoubtedly NOT follow suit - they should.

Thumbs up

Now that is some customer service! Nice!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

AWESOME!

Although, it brings a tear to my eye b/c it reminds me of the letter I got from Berthoud informing me that they were closing and refunding me the cost of my pre-purchased pass for the next year (although I'd skied enough days on it that it was already paid for (at their full ticket price).

Great customer service from those guys this winter for you northerers.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Did the summit at snoqualmie open this year at all?
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz
    Did the summit at snoqualmie open this year at all?
    For a few days at west, fewer at central, 2 at alpental and they kept the super-pipe open for about 2 weeks with the use of their new snow-guns.

Thumbs up

Nice. Those guys have class.

that is really sweet. well, bittersweet if you're me, since i have an alpental pass, but am most likely moving to bend this summer.

mt hood meadows, while they had a marginally better year than snoqualmie, is giving only a 10% discount on next years passes for this years passholders. other nw resorts should be taking notes from what summit is doing and at least offer a very significant discount.
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Wow. That is all.
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com

Stevens has already announced that their deal for passholders will be to sell them a pass at full price and throw in a discount on one item at their shop.

I don't imagine anyone expects Baker to pony anything up, as they alone had enough open days to classify as a "season".
    Living vicariously through myself.

SkiBowl's closed so I can't even pick up my pass...prolly never get it.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Stevens sucks a lot of ass in my mind now. Really happy to hear that the Summit decided to bite the bullet and try and keep loyal customers. Big thumbs up in my book.

So for all of you pNW people........there's a 2-3 foot storm coming to utah.....

One of the most suprising emails I got in a while.

I think its awsome, in a bad way, you know what I mean.

hats off to the managment at the pass. That is super nice of them

"Alpental Kicks Ass" [in Cartman voice]

That is some really good news- probably the best news from the NW all year! Eagerly anticipating opening day TR: Alpental Opening Day 2005-06 Ullr, you best be stepping up to the plate to offer a season full of grand slams for this great karma (and a little taking one for the team in 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by midget
    So for all of you pNW people........there's a 2-3 foot storm coming to utah.....
    Dammit! Please save those for mid-April when I can travel!!!
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 03-22-2005 at 04:03 PM.

[QUOTE=grrrr]Stevens has already announced that their deal for passholders will be to sell them a pass at full price and throw in a discount on one item at their shop.
    QUOTE]

The Stevens $50 credit towards food/rentals/daily lift ticket is just going to piss a lot of folks off enough to abandon Stevens and go with lower elevation Snoqs next year. Personally, I gave up on Stevens back when Harbor took over and started charging as much (or more) than Crystal.

The management at Snoqualmie are fellow skiers & boarders, and this proves it. Just glad that the other properties in the Booth Creek family were flush enough to help a brother out when he's down.
    Good runs when you get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer
    That is fucking awesome. Too bad the rest of the NW resorts will undoubtedly NOT follow suit - they should.
    Wow, Stevens is really, umm...trying to reach out to it's peoples..

A Letter to Our Season Pass Holders 2005-2006 Season
    March 21, 2005
    Dear Season Pass Holder:

This has certainly been an abnormal and challenging winter, one I don't think any of us has ever experienced before. Your support, loyalty and commitment through this winter are appreciated.

Reviewing the historical snowfall records, this winter is on track to be the lowest total snowfall recorded at Stevens Pass during the last 54 years. The second lowest snowfall total was in the 1980-81 season. As it stands now, our snow accumulation will be about 26% of our average. It goes without saying; this year has not been a normal Northwest winter. History shows we don't have two low snow years in a row. That's good news for next season.

The Stevens Pass team has worked hard to make the most of what limited snowfall we have received this season. Our grooming team has been elevated to "Hero" status by many of our loyal guests and employees for what they have accomplished on the runs. Through their efforts, we were able to operate for 40 days this year during some of the most challenging weather conditions of the last half-century.

We value our relationship with loyal guests like you and are empathetic to the fact you haven't been able to ski or ride as much as you'd hoped. That is why I'm pleased to announce our spring season pass sale and the added value offer we are making to people who renew their current season pass for the 2005-06 season.

For the month of April 2005 only, we will be offering 2005-06 passes at the same price as last spring. (Please see season pass page for prices).

In addition to holding the prices this spring, we are offering renewing pass holders an "Added Value Credit" to be used to make future purchases anywhere at Stevens Pass. This can be used in any of our restaurants, retail stores, in the rental department and ski and snowboard school. It can also be used to purchase lift tickets for friends and family that don't have a season pass. Your Added Value Credit will be sent with your season pass.

The amount you receive will be dependent on what you paid for your 2004-05 season pass as outlined below.

2004-05 Season Pass Purchase
    Price Value Added Credit
    $199 to $319 $50
    $342 to $499 $75
    $519 to $809 $110

Remember these low season pass prices and the "Added Value Credit" offer will not be available after April 30, so don't wait to renew your pass. When we begin selling season passes in September, the prices will increase and the "Added Value Credit" will not be applied.

To order anytime of the day, please go to our season pass section of the website. (You need not renew the same kind of pass. You can upgrade or down grade according to your needs, but the Added Value Credit will be based on what you originally purchased in 2004-05.) You can also download the "Season Pass Agreement" that you need to sign and mail or fax to us before we can fulfill your order. As soon as we have your order and the completed season pass agreement, we will process your pass using your photo from last year. For a nominal fee of $3.50 we will mail your pass to you by certified mail so that you don't have to stand in line next fall.

If you prefer not to order via the web you can call our sales department at 206-812-4510 or stop by Guest Relations in the Granite Peaks Lodge during business hours, Monday through Thursday, 8:30am-3:00pm.

It has been our pleasure to serve you this season. We are looking forward to next season with anticipation of abundant snow and opportunity for all of us to make lots of turns on the slopes. We invite you to take advantage of this renewal offer during the month of April 2005 so you'll be ready for the 2005-06 season.

Feel free to call a member of our Sales Team at 206-812-4510 with your questions about this offer - they'll be happy to assist you.

Best wishes,
    John Gifford
    General Manager, Stevens Pass

PS - The 2005-06 season pass renewal pricing and Added Value Credit is only good during the month of April 2005. This offer will not be made again so hurry and place your order so you don't miss out.

wow.

"we're being so nice, we won't charge you extra money to throw away another grand after a year of no skiing, but you can only do it in the next month. Oh, and here's some money to buy crap from us."

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones
    wow.

"we're being so nice, we won't charge you extra money to throw away another grand after a year of no skiing, but you can only do it in the next month. Oh, and here's some money to buy crap from us."

.... but here's less money to buy crap from us if you bought one of the cheaper passes last year.

Someone in business school should do a case study on this one.

1. Talk to a number of pass holders from each resort and people like Squirrel who has passes at both. Record and monitor responses
    2. Track business levels next year for each resort, paying particular attention to retention and atrition levels of current customers.
    3. Compare growth in business next year as best as it correlates to how customer service affected current customers and new customers. Poll new customers (pass holders) to see what influence these letters had on thier decision to purchase passes, if any.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Some "resort management" student really should do that study. This is a major gamble for every resort up this way, whether giving away next season or saying "tough break" to pass holders.
    I heard that SkiBowl is going to do something generous, so I'll probably renew there. They've worked hard to be open and provide opportunities to ski elsewhere.
    I've been thinking about getting an Alpental or Crystal pass for a while and this gesture ups A-tal's odds of getting my money. Mt. Hood Meadows has done so much to piss off the communities in NW Oregon, I am not sure they'll recover from this years crap snow and lack of sympathy for screwed pass holders. I know I won't buy a pass there ever.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

be warned--mt hood meadows rant

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete
    Mt. Hood Meadows has done so much to piss off the communities in NW Oregon, I am not sure they'll recover from this years crap snow and lack of sympathy for screwed pass holders. I know I won't buy a pass there ever.

Alpental kicks some serious ass! But Meadows--10% off next year. BFD. Dave Riley et al. Think of all the much needed good will meadows could muster if they had followed a-tal's lead. Of course this is not an area known for good will, to either its customers or employees.
    I was a passholder for years, but I'll never buy a pass there again--and it's in my backyard--due to this and meadows' rampant, offensive, environmentally destructive attempts to push through development in the hood river valley and on the mountain, regardless of the wishes of local residents; their outrageous price increases in recent years, mostly for increased "amenities"; their piss poor ability to get terrain open in a timely fashion (how fucking long does it take to open heather?); and several first hand experiences of bad service from disgruntled (and rightly so) employees. The list goes on. Meadows' greed and lack of customer service know no bounds.
    Bet Riley tries to sue me for libel now.
    I would hope angry customers would run meadows out of business, except for the fact that a few friends' livelihoods depend on the frickin place.

Quote Originally Posted by powstash
    Someone in business school should do a case study on this one.

1. Talk to a number of pass holders from each resort and people like Squirrel who has passes at both. Record and monitor responses
    Poll new customers (pass holders) to see what influence these letters had on thier decision to purchase passes, if any.
    I gambled this year and got the el cheapo Stevens option to supplement the early season at Alpental - as 7 days would have paid off the Stevens pass.
    But I am most bummed about not getting a chance to ride in the absolutely stellar kick ass Backcountry at A-tal

What have I learned from this?

1) I realize the resort doesn't control the weather, but come'on. Those "40" days were more like 2 groomers and a crap load of rocks. Stevens sucks almost as much as Crystal does- I thought they'd at least offer about $100.00 off passes for next year. I'm interested to see if Crystal will be kind enough to give the KY to its passholders before screwing them even worse (as those passes cost close to $1,000.00)

2) Alpental, and Alpental only next year. After a "season" like this, you can only bet we get a large piece of the pie next year. And even without the snow, committment like this shows why the Big A kicks ass.

3) If you buy a pack of day tickets (5 pack) to Crystal, they value you more than season passholders- at least you can apply those vouchers to next year.

Will I consider any type of ticket from Stevens next year? Likely not. If I gotta go somewhere else until A opens? I'll go to Baker.

Natty & Pete, sorry to hear that about Meadows- but I guess it doesn't surprise me. Only heard terrible stuff about their staff and corp peeps.
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 03-22-2005 at 10:23 PM.

hmmm...a boycott of Stevens next year?

intriguing idea...

I don't want to sound like I'm defending The Man but at least Crystal has squeezed out what, 50+ days on the season, so mathematically speaking it would have been possible to come out all right (I think I'm a day short of ticket-price break-even), setting aside the fact that some of those days it would have been less damaging and arguably more fun to stay home and carve your name in your bases with a chisel, then turn your attention to your edges, crowbar in hand.

I think Crystal should make some kind of meanginful (i.e. not like Stevens) concession in the interest of goodwill, but I guess I also think they might not "owe" passholders as much as the places that were open only a handful of days. And clearly the people at Alpey rock! They'll be more than repaid in loyalty, and they deserve it.
    I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

At least Baker was open enough to fully pay for a pass this year, and at lest they did everything possible to keep the mountian open, I.E. fly snow in via a chopper. If they dont give discounts on passes next year, I dont think anyone can give them shit for it. But Stevens is a different storey, they have had a shity ass attitude to the general public the last few years, and this only goes to drive a point home, they think that they are running some world class destination resort, but in fact they are one of the most corwded overpriced areas in the state. But then again are you suprised coming from a mountian that will charge you to park anywear near the lodge.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com