Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I'll bet my $10 instead on that catastrophically failing at some point. I always thought it would be the Saudis who'd build something like that, not the Dutch!

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    I always thought it would be the Saudis who'd build something like that, not the Dutch!

Well, a good chunk of the Netherlands was "made" by reclaiming underwater land, so this doesn't seem that far from their typical MO.

I've actually thought about an artifical mountain on the Tug for years. A handful of upstate counties make $ by running dumps for other counties (upstate and downstate). Someone should open a hudge dump somewhere in Oswego or Lewis county, take garbage ffrom all over the Northeast for pennies, run it for maybe 30 years and then build a trash mountain- go for ~1500 ft of vert. Seal it up, give it a few feet of topsoil and open a ski area in the heart of the snow belt.
    Last edited by dumpy; 01-15-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Well done thin cover! Gonna promote this on our Twitter in an hour or so, hope you get some more views out of it. Always stoked to see serious adventure skiing in the East!

-Ryan Dunfee
    Associate Editor, TGR

Nice pics, know those spots well, been skiing those areas now for a couple decades and until the Meatheads went there and pimped it on Wanderland I never saw another person skiing there except for a couple of other locals. Well done. Skied the deepest snow ever in my life there and some of those steeps and gullies do flush. It is very possible to get buried there.

I've biked there, never skied it though. Would suck to get flushed into the creek and then buried...

Sounds good Ryan, glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by freedan View Post
    Nice pics, know those spots well, been skiing those areas now for a couple decades and until the Meatheads went there and pimped it on Wanderland I never saw another person skiing there except for a couple of other locals. Well done. Skied the deepest snow ever in my life there and some of those steeps and gullies do flush. It is very possible to get buried there.
    There is definitely avy terrain. Not the place you want to go for a ride. I can also see you skiing the deepest snow of your life there a few times a year if its on that terrain and in those storms.

Those photos were great. That's what I think of when I think prime northeast backcountry skiing. Huge props on getting out there and exploring, glad it paid off. I was in Vermont and NH last year hoping for something like this but just got ice :/ then they got 2 ft when I left.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Well, a good chunk of the Netherlands was "made" by reclaiming underwater land, so this doesn't seem that far from their typical MO.

I've actually thought about an artifical mountain on the Tug for years. A handful of upstate counties make $ by running dumps for other counties (upstate and downstate). Someone should open a hudge dump somewhere in Oswego or Lewis county, take garbage ffrom all over the Northeast for pennies, run it for maybe 30 years and then build a trash mountain- go for ~1500 ft of vert. Seal it up, give it a few feet of topsoil and open a ski area in the heart of the snow belt.
    That might actually work, kinda a reverse landfill. Sounds a bit much though considering the adirondacks are a stones throw away..? Also I forgot about the Dutch and their dikes and draining.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    There is definitely avy terrain. Not the place you want to go for a ride. I can also see you skiing the deepest snow of your life there a few times a year if its on that terrain and in those storms.
    That slide expanded quite a bit a couple years back from heavy rain from Irene. Lookers right of it has some nice steep trees too. Normally there is a place just a bit upstream where you can cross without getting wet in normal winter conditions. And yes deep snow several times a season. I've already had 6 days on the Tug with 14"-20" or more of new and one 4' day.

A couple years back night skiing in that state park it was snowing 4"+ and hour with thunder and lightning the whole time. Pretty crazy snowfalls up there.

seriously sick stoke Dalton. sometime i hate being trapped at stowe......

Holy stoke. Well played, TC

Quote Originally Posted by freedan View Post
    That slide expanded quite a bit a couple years back from heavy rain from Irene. Lookers right of it has some nice steep trees too. Normally there is a place just a bit upstream where you can cross without getting wet in normal winter conditions. And yes deep snow several times a season. I've already had 6 days on the Tug with 14"-20" or more of new and one 4' day.

A couple years back night skiing in that state park it was snowing 4"+ and hour with thunder and lightning the whole time. Pretty crazy snowfalls up there.
    Shhhh.....you'll spoil it

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Not to blow up TC's spot too much, but I figure this is general enough and kind of a cool article (plus it's not like you're ever going to find the BC of the Tug tracked out, hardly anyone skis it):

Suck on this Utah

Hmmm, Snow Ridge or Alta??
    Makes me wish I got to spend more time up in that region. It's hard to justify a trip to the NE when I have perfectly good snow and mountains where I am, but skiing up there is just so classic and cool to me. Might have to find an excuse to go. I do have family in buffalo...

Bump for cheap gas and free refills!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Bump for 2015. Plan on scoping the current snow this week. Anyone out there lately?

Pictures are incredible. Where's the snow gone to this year?

I've pined for skiable terrain in that area for years... the area is within striking distance... with this beta a mission is required.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Did some exploration Friday afternoon (Past 3pm..oops) Skiable areas, only did a test run through some trees.

Plan on going back, pray for snow.