Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

90-100mm, and 25+m turn radius. What ski am I?

looking for a 90-100mm ski, daily driver, medium to soft flex, and 25 or bigger turn shape. 185ish length.

think a fat/soft SG ski, or a skinnier volkl sakouk, or 4FRNT hoji.

for sure tip rocker, but with the softer flex, not worried about full rocker vs camber.

closest are Blizzard Scout, or nordica vagabond, but both are 107mmish, and so very close to my sanouks anyways. (130/110/120)

186 ON3P Tychoon?
    183/188 PM Gear Bro soft?
    184 Praxis Piste Jib?!

Tychoon might be too stiff, and a custom flex, though possible, would be spendy. Piste Jib is a really fun ski. Stock flex is pretty medium-soft IMO.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 01-10-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I've been eying the Bluehouse MR Rocker, but the largest size is 181, and I've never flexed it so not sure about that. Also minor fail at 24m radius.

K2 Annex 98, maybe, but I can only find turning radius specs on shorter lengths.

Edit: Looks like Annex might be a metal laminate, so might not be medium/soft.
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 01-10-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

ON3P Jeronimo, 4FRNT Cody. Not exactly what you were asking for but worth consideration.

183 Bro in reverse camber. Reminds me of a skinny hoji.

PM gear skinny is rocker might work, Thanks guys

I skied the cody last year and really was under impressed... not sure why still

K2 annix = too much shape.

Thanks guys. if anyone else has ideas, feel free too add

S3? A little shorter turn radius than you're looking for, 23m in 186, but ticks a lot of the other boxes. Then again, seems similar to Cody on paper, so if you didn't like that...

Moment Tahoe. 186, 26m radius, pretty soft.

I'm digging the Praxis 9D8 in a 185

The "old" LP105?

The aurelien version, you could get dirt cheap.Like 200$ or something.
    Not a cadillac kind of easy ride with a lot of pop, but a ski you can really,really push.
    The "rocker" on that version is not a proper rocker though,wont float on that cold blower
    that you get around there (banff?) though.
    But basically, it is the old LP. Have the 184cm with inserts (duke+dynas) and it is by far my fav ski
    ever. Even if I am a lightish person (180/77kg) I dig the ski a lot. Even more than the
    old 97mm LPs.

Other ski that I have heard a lot of good about from my friends (havent skied) is Black Crows
    Novis. If they are even a quarter the ski the Noctis are (have them) they should be good.
    Think there should be a review or two on this forum, but take this recommendation with a ounce of salt.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I really liked the Blizzard Bonafide at the last demo day. It's softer in the tip and overall than the mantra, but it's no noodle.

BD verdict
    Gravity. It's the law.

If you are looking @ Nordica I would not look past the El Capo - surprisingly forgiving for what it looks like on paper.

Ya, the El cap, and the blizzard scout are on my list, but both are 107ish, and I have sanouks at 110, Was hoping for under 100mm.

I have a El cap demo to try, and then buy vagabound (sofer, lighter version)

FWIW, I spent some time on the K2 Annex at last years demo days. Nice board. Real poppy, predictable and easy to get along with while not being squirly or unstable. My notes from demo days are below. I am 5'11" and 220. Tend to be a very directional skier who pushes hard on the shovels and crushes noodles.

*K2 Annexe? – mid 180’s?
    Stability: 5 Decent stability at speed though not a charger
    Turning Characteristics: Nice smooth initiation and release. Short to medium radius turns were easy in the crud. Not a SG charger
    Energy/Pop: 8 Nice, poppy release - fun
    Snow Feel/Dampness: 5 Not super damp, but decent. A little of the Atomic tinny feeling
    Forgiveness: 8 Very forgiving. Very easy to get along with
    Carving/Edge Grip: 7 Good but not race stock. Plenty on the soft groomers. OK on the ice
    Versatility/Skier Type: Good fit for average to advanced. Lot’s of people would like this ski and advanced skiers could make good use of this board. Would probably fit most weights.

LT

x2 on the Tahoe. it does a lot of things well. fun ski and tough

Let us know what you're view on the El Capo is, am interested in that too....
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

I agree on the Tahoe recommendation. They feel soft and are quite loose with a sidecut that doesn't engage all that much. They'll make any turn shape without really locking in and are a good ski in the bumps as a result.

Moment Tahoe

Tahoe was way of my radar, but looks like a nice design.

But man alive, the graphics are horrific!!

Sent from my SGH-I717D using TGR Forums
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

The Taboe is a pretty good ski. I'd definitely have one if it wasn't for the stupid gigantic twin tip. It would be an amazing touring ski (it has a great profile, skis damp but is really light), but that twin tip is extra weight and extra length with absolutely no benefit in the bc. I want the 188 for the extra running length, but it's too long for on-the-pack stuff for my height. If they dropped that tip, it would be 182ish which would be perfect.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 01-13-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The Taboe is a pretty good ski. I'd definitely have one if it wasn't for the stupid gigantic twin tip. It would be an amazing touring ski (it has a great profile, skis damp but is really light), but that twin tip is extra weight and extra length with absolutely no benefit in the bc. I want the 188 for the extra running length, but it's too long for on-the-pack stuff for my height. If they dropped that tip, it would be 180ish which would be perfect.
    Can you cut the tail down a bit? But I guess that does not help if it has a big tip too. And that might not shorten it up that much... carry on.

Kastle FX 104 in 184cm. Slight tip rocker. No tail rocker. 26M radius at 184cm. 132-104-123. I wouldn't say it has a soft flex though. More medium to stiff.

I demoed this ski on two pow days at Vail. Very stable throw pow and crud. Pretty quick through trees. I'm really liking this ski. 5'-10", 185lbs.

FYI, I've demoed the 2014 Rossi Sin7 and 2014 Blizzard Bonafide in 180cm lengths. I didn't really like either. I did like the 2014 DPS Wailer 99.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

moment PB&J
    4frnt devastator
    faction prodigy
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Igneous could build you a damn nice ski in that area.