Just bought a new bike

Well, after almost a decade off from trail riding I am ready to get back in the saddle again- with the lack of winter this year I need to find something to occupy my weekends so went out and picked up a Salsa Horsethief 3today.
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/2013_horsethief_3

Going to be riding mostly around the Bay Area with some longer trips thrown in.

Anybody have experience with this bike?

Tips on local spots to hit (I haven't ridden since HS)?
    Last edited by RockChalk; 01-09-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Can't comment on the bike or the area but have to say, enjoy! I was in a similar position this summer and super glad I got back on a not-road-bike after all these years.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Didn't wait for the split pivot? I'm curious. I love Salsa and think that both the SF and HT are class leaders for value.

Good on you and enjoi!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I got it brand new, shipped, for $1300, which I felt couldn't be passed up.

But ya that new frame looks fancy, I will report back once the steed arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    I got it brand new, shipped, for $1300, which I felt couldn't be passed up.

But ya that new frame looks fancy, I will report back once the steed arrives.
    Wow. That's a great deal. Buddy of mine just picked one up brand new this summer and I know paid more than $2k. He loves it so far and is just beginning mountain biking as well. Enjoy!

I don't know anything about the Horsethief, but that's not a bad spec for $1300! I had the Big Mama a few years ago and it was a fun bike. I sold it to another TGR guy and he raced on it, so they're definitely capable bikes. Just get out and ride as much as you can, you'll have a blast.

I worked for QBP in high school and during college summers so I am familiar with Salsa, awesome people with an incredibly respectable operation.

Backcountry matched an online price on the last one in stock (which just happened to be my size) and shipped it for free, they were awesome to work with.

One of my regular riding buddies demoed the Horse Thief and lusted after it all last season. Seems like a great bike.

I had a Big Mama too, thought it was a great bike. Sold it to make room for a Tallboy, which had fantastic reviews - and I hated it. Sold that too...

There are some good deals floating around out there on the Horsethief and Spearfish, since the split pivot revisions are coming for next year. Horsethief geometry has a very long top tube, which makes me think I'd want to check it out before buying one.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm thinking the ht angle will help with the longer top tube.

I'm 6"1' with some arm span so hopefully it's not a huge issue.

FKNA Im out of shape...

Finally got out for a ride and the bike is great, its my lungs and thighs that seem to be the major issue.

Pretty pumped to get back into fighting shape on this thing.

Gotta love getting back to it...

You a KU guy?
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States