10 days in Late Jan, Roadtrip planning to JH/SLC

Hey so my ski partner and I have 10 days to burn in late January. I am looking for a little bit of road trip advice. We are leaving So-Cal to get away from the dismal winter the sierra is having. We are thinking head strait to jackson/GT and ski for a few days, then down to SLC to hit BCC/LCC. We have a place to stay in SLC but we are sleeping in the cherokee until we get there. I've got a full bed setup (ripped out the back seats) to sleep two in there or have 1 in the car and 1 in the 4-season tent outside. Is there free winter camping in the Jackson area to bum it for a few days? BLM land? Looking at the snowpack and recent storms set to roll through these areas, I am thinking the above places are a good bet. Any smaller ski areas in the region on Jackson? Anything on the way to here we should explore? I love going to new spots to ski.

Where would you go w/ 10 days to burn and have the mobility to hit anywhere in the west?

Just camp in Teton canyon for your Targhee days. No advice for near the Village, picking are reaaaalllyy slim for discrete car camping (especially in the winter) on the Jackson side.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Cool, Thanks for the tip. What is the cheapest place in JH to stay...motel 6 is like 52 bucks a night

it doesn't get any cheaper than that. motel 6 is $90-$125 in the summer, for reference.
    Did you try Hostel X in the Village?
    http://www.thehostel.us/
    I think it will be about that, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by rideit; 01-10-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ask about the weekly rates for the Motel 6, if I remember right it knocks a few bucks off.

Rooms are decent too, they remodeled 2-3 years ago.

Second the hostel and you can't beat the location.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.