Thread: CB or Steamboat

CB or Steamboat

Lack of snow down here in SWCO has me itching for some pow turns. Heading out tonight to ride Fri-Sun. Make the longer drive to Steamboat or head to Crested Butte? Never been to either

Assuming you're skiing inbounds... steamboat for pow, CB for rocky gnar. Inbounds CB doesn't tend to get big pow days, but the terrain is awesome. If backcountry and especially if you have a sled, either would be excellent.

Sent from my VS840 4G using TGR Forums

I'd take CB even any day even with worse snow, Steamboat is so flat. Just my preference for challenging terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Freeskier View Post
    I'd take CB even any day even with worse snow, Steamboat is so flat. Just my preference for challenging terrain.
    I agree with that. Love CB, even on hardpack days. Just have trouble recommending it to someone whose goal is to ski pow.

Sent from my VS840 4G using TGR Forums
    Last edited by adrenalated; 01-09-2014 at 12:58 PM.

CB

Pow turns you seek…Steamboat. They clean house in these types of storms.

Thanks for all the input. I'm having a really hard time with this, since I know of the amazing terrain at CB and have been wanting to get out there for a while. I'm jonesin bad for some pow turns since I haven't had any since opening day at Silverton, so I think I'm heading up to Steamboat to chase this storm.

Just looked at the weather forecast for the storm coming in starting for you CO folks today, and then into the weekend, and it looks like ground zero could be Steamboat. If it's pow you seek, it looks like Steamboat would be the place to be. Winds might be a bit blustery though.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Storms are going to be very windy so don't be surprised if you find windbuff instead of "champagne" powder at steamboat.

6" this morning, snowed all day, snowing now. 3rd bowl opening on Sunday. Easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    6" this morning, snowed all day, snowing now. 3rd bowl opening on Sunday. Easy choice.
    Seems early for 3rd bowl no?

As for the answer for the OP. Terrain makes me say CB but with pow being the goal Steamboat may be your place. You'll have fun at either.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Seems early for 3rd bowl no?
    We're having a good year. I'm seeing a lot of W, W/NW, and W/SW winds in the forecast here- which means we should do very well over the next few days.

boat will be a good choice (sounds like that is where you are headed). I mean if it is snowing as projected might as well just be hitting the trees at steamboat. never a bad time when it is deep. plus this storm is supposed to favor the north

CB. I had a great time when I lived in Steamboat but I have no interest in skiing there any longer, I would go if it was free but spending money to ride the lifts? No thanks. It is great for familys and vacationing Jersey folk.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Listen to this man.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

9 inches at CB this morning vs only six at the boat.

Go to the butte

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    9 inches at CB this morning vs only six at the boat.

Go to the butte
    ^^^^Woops

Ended up going to steamboat. The pow can showed 14" from 4pm last night until 2pm today. It's been nuking all day. Found knee deep in the trees. Glad I came, but driving from Durango leaving at 6pm sucked balls. Whiteout on all 3 passes to ouray really slowed the driving down. Got in to town at 2am, but worth it so far

I am going to CB later this year, Steamboat was not all that challenging except No Names, rest was very flat, Vail esque. The town was cool, alot like Jackson. I doubt I will go back though, I only get 1 out west trip a year

edit just saw your last post, lucky bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by A2thaK View Post
    Ended up going to steamboat. The pow can showed 14" from 4pm last night until 2pm today. It's been nuking all day. Found knee deep in the trees. Glad I came, but driving from Durango leaving at 6pm sucked balls. Whiteout on all 3 passes to ouray really slowed the driving down. Got in to town at 2am, but worth it so far
    You should have stopped in ouray. North San Juans delivered today

Spellbound dropped today. CB is as good as anywhere right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Skiing View Post
    Spellbound dropped today. CB is as good as anywhere right now!
    I love Spellbound! 6 new with a Spellbound opening beats the snot out of 24 of new at the Boat! I'll take that any day over what ever at Steamboat!