Netflix vs Amazon Prime streaming?

Anyone have both?

I have Netflix and don't plan to get rid of it, and have prime shipping as part of a family account, but I'm wondering if it is worth it for me to get my own Prime account ($80) to have Amazon streaming. I realize that's only $7/mo, but I'm also not sure I'd use the streaming service at all.

Is there significant stuff on there that isn't on Netflix?

Is it easy to browse the free content? As a non-Prime subscriber, it was hard to tell what would have been free had I had a Prime account, at least online, I didn't try from the roku. That is correct that Amazon has some streaming content that everyone has to pay for, right?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I wouldn't do Amazon Prime solely for the free streaming content. SWMBO orders a lot of stuff from Amazon so Prime pays for itself in shipping, and the free streaming is just a bonus. Netflix has a much wider selection, although there are times when Amazon has something that Netflix does not. If you like pirme, shop at Amazon a lot, and also want to do some free streaming, buy Prime.

I have prime shipping already through a family member (I throw her $20/yr for it), so AFAIK, the only reason to pay the additional money is for streaming content.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Netflix streams way better than Amazon. I'm no nerd, so don't have an explanation for it, but every time I stream an Amazon movie it stops several times to buffer in mid show. This rarely happens on Netflix.

Amazon has a good selection of bike and ski movies, as well as some good documentaries... but I wouldn't pay $80 a year for that.

I pay the $80 for the free 2-day shipping... the free Prime movies (and cheaper on-demand selection) is just a nice side benefit.
    Last edited by smmokan; 01-07-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Both stream = for me.

Amazon seems to get the new movies faster, and as mentioned not too bad for ski movies.

Netflix slow as hell with new stuff, good for cool/weird foreign movies.

You people pay to stream stuff? Suckers.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You people pay to stream stuff? Suckers.
    So you steal content?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    So you steal content?
    No. I am not depriving the content creator of their media.

No. I am not depriving the content creator of their media.
    so, you steal content?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    so, you steal content?
    Streaming music, tv shows and films has made me buy more things than ever before. It has opened me up to new things I never had the opportunity or access to experience. I just got this because I was able to watch old ones while sick... http://www.amazon.com/Bond-50-Comple.../dp/B006U1J5ZY. I never would have bought this had I not downloaded a couple torrents and realized I wanted to own them. And even if I didn't buy it, how much money did I steal from Sean Connery or the movie studio? Before this, I just wouldn't buy music I never heard of. Now I find something I like, from listening online and I buy it. Before this lifestyle I never would have.

It's 2014... stop being an idiot. This isn't Napster era, wake up and smell the coffee. If you don't realize the age we live in, you're older (mentality) than you think you are.

Streaming music, tv shows and films has made me buy more things than ever before. It has opened me up to new things I never had the opportunity or access to experience. I just got this because I was able to watch old ones while sick... http://www.amazon.com/Bond-50-Comple.../dp/B006U1J5ZY. I never would have bought this had I not downloaded a couple torrents and realized I wanted to own them. And even if I didn't buy it, how much money did I steal from Sean Connery or the movie studio? Before this, I just wouldn't buy music I never heard of. Now I find something I like, from listening online and I buy it. Before this lifestyle I never would have.

It's 2014... stop being an idiot. This isn't Napster era, wake up and smell the coffee. If you don't realize the age we live in, you're older (mentality) than you think you are.
    Hey, to each their own. I never said I haven't stolen content before. But while your rationalizations may be good and sound -- not for me to decide -- I just found it funny that your response to 4matic was denial. Yes, it's 2014 and I've smelled the coffee. But when I pirate content (which is exceedingly rare these days, as Netflix is pretty much the only content I view), I acknowledge that is what I am doing (then maybe try to justify it), not deny it.

Own it man, say "fuck yeah I steal content!"

I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming. Netflix's interface is much, much better -- easier to use, better organized, and the suggestions/recommendation from Netflix can be helpful. Amazon's interface is clunky. If you want to be able to pay to rent new movies, though, Amazon has that option.

Co-worker with several small kids says that Amazon is worth it for the kids' programming -- says it has a lot more than Netflix does. IDK if that matters to you.

For my interests, there isn't much on Amazon Prime streaming that isn't also on Netflix. I doubt I'll renew Prime after this year is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Hey, to each their own. I never said I haven't stolen content before. But while your rationalizations may be good and sound -- not for me to decide -- I just found it funny that your response to 4matic was denial. Yes, it's 2014 and I've smelled the coffee. But when I pirate content (which is exceedingly rare these days, as Netflix is pretty much the only content I view), I acknowledge that is what I am doing (then maybe try to justify it), not deny it.

Own it man, say "fuck yeah I steal content!"
    So I don't pay to stream media means I steal it? I listen to BDCradio all day at work, am I stealing the music? I watch youtube videos, am I stealing the users content? I view peoples pictures online, am I stealing their license? No, you don't get it. Yes, I have stolen a ton of content and applications in my time, but I don't steal content on the regular. I pay the cable company to watch shit. If I miss an episode of a show, I have no qualms about watching it online. Maybe that makes me an awful person, but it isn't stealing.

And like I already said... having content available to me has made me and many others pay for things we normally wouldn't.

So I don't pay to stream media means I steal it?
    No, your admission that you steal stuff means you steal stuff. And if you pay the cable company for TV, how am I the sucker? Paying for streaming through Netflix and not paying for a boatload of TV channels is cheaper and I get to watch stuff I want without commercials. :shrug: To each their own, but you're the one who called us suckers.

Have both. Netflix has a better interface and search, larger selection, and apps on iOS and Android. Amazon is quicker to get new titles, new seasons of TV series. Amazon streaming does not have an app, so you're stuck on a computer (you can hook it to the TV, I know), PS3/4 or Xbox. Not sure if there are other devices that support Amazon, but netflix has wider device support.

Amazon prime is the new Christmas shopping experience. Skipping the mall is worth $80 by itself. Need to buy something heavy? Prime is awesome.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Amazon streaming has all 4 seasons of Workaholics. Shouldn't need any other reason than that to justify it.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

cant you just use the login you use for shipping for your streaming, i am failing to see how this is separate

I've got both and use both. As others have said shows and movies seem to come to Amazon sooner and some good ski movies on Amazon. I like Netflix for TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    cant you just use the login you use for shipping for your streaming, i am failing to see how this is separate
    There is a primary member who gets the streaming acct. They can have family members on their acct who can get the 2 day shipping, but not the streaming. At least that is how I understand it.

I have both. I've seen Prime streaming on 2 tvs at once in my house so I don't think that's an issue. I like both services, super user friendly but a lot of crossover.
    Love the original programs on both.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Netflix streams way better than Amazon. I'm no nerd, so don't have an explanation for it, but every time I stream an Amazon movie it stops several times to buffer in mid show. This rarely happens on Netflix.
    Funny, it's the opposite for me; Netflix often rebuffers but Amazon is usually rock solid.

Danno, I have both - come over sometime and browse the Roku to see for yourself. IMHO, Prime isn't worth the extra money for streaming alone (as opposed to the shipping benefits), but there's occasionally something good. For example, Justified (the TV show) is a great show available on Prime but not on Netflix.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Just saw this today, seemed relevant:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jacelacob/tv...n-amazon-prime
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Thanks. I decided to stick with the netflix only for now, based on comments here. Now, if Prime included Top Chef, my decision would be different.

Danno, that has to be the strangest thing I have ever heard. You share a prime account??? I suppose you don't have a Kindle of any kind? We started off with just Netflix and when we bought our first Kindle [Fire] I swore that I would dump Netflix b/c I couldn't bear to pay for both. Now, however, I like having both. The shipping has paid for it a few times over. And you really ought to have it with a Kindle. So the streaming is gravy. That said, our primary use for the Amazon streaming is for the TV shows or the odd movie not on Netflix yet. I can't tell you offhand any titles which is what I know you are looking for. Yes, as a Prime subscriber it is easy to browse the free stuff. Yes, there is a lot of stuff that isn't free with Prime. However some of it may be at a reduced price (?).