Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jackson Casper bowl and Crags gate question

Hey guys, first post here, not much of a msg board guy. Heading out to Jackson end of month with the wife. Neither of us feel its a great idea to head OB as its our first time in Jackson. She is insisting however that I pack our avy gear for some of the inbounds stuff and I'm not sure its necessary.

Does SP require people to have full gear to hike up into casper and Crags? Better question, is it a good idea to bring it even if its not required provided conditions warrant wearing? I am personally one of those who typically won't wear my pack inbounds back home if its not dumping. I know I'm gonna catch some flak on here for not wanting to bring it, but its sort of a personal insurance policy, as I know my stupid side will be very tempted to head OB if I do bring it and the snow isn't great that week, figure not bringing will eliminate that possibility.

Thanks.!!

casper *** bowl

gd wireless keyboard

A lot of folks ski ib with their gear especially if it's snowing. You may get there and decide to give some of the side country a go and if you don't have your gear you will be kicking yourself for not. Bringing it doesn't mean you have to make poor choices but the poorest choice of all would be not bringing your gear.
    Last edited by RaisingArizona; 01-06-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Just wear your beacon and leave the pack. That way ski patrol can locate if something does happen inbounds, especially in all the hike to terrain.

Inbounds slides do happen. Plus it helps with cardio and strength to carry pack. But real reason is if a nice local shows up
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

2018/2019 (24/32)

^^. Yes that would be nice but I suspect I won't be getting the wife OB come hell or high water in Jackson. She's ok hiking a bit and touring here in areas she knows well. Because crags and Casper are considered inbounds I'm certain she will ride them knowing at least some patrol is done.

Post up some pics...I'm sure you'd find some locals here to keep the wife company while you head out the side. Pass days are fun if you just want a couple runs and don't want to drop $100 on lift tickets.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

AS said above, bring it all. Wear your transceiver everyday. Have the pack for the hikes. Rock Springs is probably safer than Casper Bowl most days so don't limit yourself to gated vs non-gated.

what confuses me is not only the sheer quantity of people hiking headwall et al but that the vast majority don't have any gear either. everybody assumes that it is "safe" and skis on top of each other with abandon. reminds me of euro land. the rest has been stated above.

Having dug someone out inbounds, I'd err on the side of skiing with gear, especially if there's a lot of new snow. Just saying it's cheap insurance.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

you should see them all on the spearhead bootpack just outside the blackcomb gates. And most of the chutes accessed by that are far from easy

Thanks for all the replies. As much as I hate giving in, I'm gonna tell the wife she was right.

Any need for it at grand targhee? From what I read its pretty mellow there. Probably gonna check it out at least once.

^^^^^The Ghee has killer hike to. It can be seen from inbounds (mary's anyways) and is great. But not controlled. Don't buy the low angle talk the Ghee is still pretty steep in some spots and has terrain traps
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

2018/2019 (24/32)

Quote Originally Posted by SkiersLeft View Post
    what confuses me is not only the sheer quantity of people hiking headwall et al but that the vast majority don't have any gear either. everybody assumes that it is "safe" and skis on top of each other with abandon. reminds me of euro land. the rest has been stated above.
    It's gotten a lot more crowded than it was just 10 or 12 years ago and I saw the same thing the last few times I visited. At some point a big multi burial could/will probably happen. I had one season before the boundaries were open and man it was good! Skiing RS off the tram was like heli skiing all day long!

Not to beat a dead horse--but nothing inbounds at JH is beacon mandatory! right? I do not tour, I stay inbounds unless guided .. cuz I know what I don't know and I'm comfortable drawing that line. But I do like in bounds hikes and would think about picking up a beacon if I needed one for inbounds at JH.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

If any of that terrain slides it slides on to the intermediates below, so it opens when patrol is pretty damn sure it is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    If any of that terrain slides it slides on to the intermediates below, so it opens when patrol is pretty damn sure it is safe.
    That's what I figured... thanks. (and I know patrol isn't perfect)
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Quote Originally Posted by rxbrad View Post
    its sort of a personal insurance policy, as I know my stupid side will be very tempted to head OB if I do bring it and the snow isn't great that week, figure not bringing will eliminate that possibility.
    Respectfully, I'm quoting this back to you so you can read what you wrote here. If this is how you make decisions regarding the safety of backcountry travel then I submit to you that your gear isn't doing you much good. Perhaps more avalanche education would be a good investment.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Well since there have been no in bounds slides at all over the last ten years I'm going with it's safe if open of course. right?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Well since there have been no in bounds slides at all over the last ten years I'm going with it's safe if open of course. right?
    Resort, skier’s widow settle avalanche suit

When in doubt leave all wives and avy gear at home.

The shovel can be useful for digging out a lost ski

You'd probably feel pretty dumb suffocating to death under a foot of snow a few hundred yards from a restaurant full of Texans eating gourmet hot dogs because even though everyone saw you get slid and is searching for you, nobody can find you because you're not wearing a goddamn beacon. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    Respectfully, I'm quoting this back to you so you can read what you wrote here. If this is how you make decisions regarding the safety of backcountry travel then I submit to you that your gear isn't doing you much good. Perhaps more avalanche education would be a good investment.
    Read this ten times and punch yourself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by peace_coast View Post
    You'd probably feel pretty dumb suffocating to death under a foot of snow a few hundred yards from a restaurant full of Texans eating gourmet hot dogs because even though everyone saw you get slid and is searching for you, nobody can find you because you're not wearing a goddamn beacon. Just sayin'
    Common sense post of day.

Quote Originally Posted by peace_coast View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gondi avalanche.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	148083and ya thats said restaurant with texans in it in a slide path
    Last edited by passholer; 01-07-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: texans