Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ski Bum Life - Cheap food

As ski bum we try to live as cheap as possible, saving on living and especially food. This is how we do it.

What is your secret recipe?

Hey everyone, we are ski bums. You know, the bums that can afford $1000+ worth of ski equipment, video recording devices, computers to edit said video, craft beer. Did I mention my outerwear costs more than my ski equipment? But we are totally hardcore because we eat processed crap food because we spent all our money on other shit. How core and bummy are we?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

My roomates clean giant super high end vacation rentals, we eat the finest food and wash it down with craft beer/top shelf booze. At 1000 plus a night you don't buy the shitty bacon. I haven't bought groceries in months. As a matter of fact I got a ham cooking off as we speak. Thank you Texas!

Edit-Not just any old ham either, but a special order ham from New Braunfels smokehouse in Texas. There was also a cryo of smoked turkey that was fucking delicious!

I ski every day. Work two jobs. Own my own reliable vehicle, an apartment by myself with my dog. I eat like a king, take showers, and even get laid on occasion.

You're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    I ski every day. Work by myself with my dog. I eat like a king, take showers, and even get laid on occasion.

You're doing it wrong.
    dropped a few words to show how it's done as an adult.
    they are doing it way wrong.
    b

You guys need to move the "kitchen" closer to the toilet so you can better multi task. I bet you could shit, cook, and eat without ever getting up.

100lbs rice, 50 lbs of beans, 50 lbs of flour and a pinch of salt will feed you for a year!!!!!

Answer used to be ketchup packages plus hot water for tomato soup. You guys look a little soft for that.

Cat food and a bagel.

OP, Have you never noticed that other mammals do not eat where they shit?

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    OP, Have you never noticed that other mammals do not eat where they shit?
    Bwahahaha!

For the record the real deal dirt bag ski bum still lives. I may not be one any longer but I have been before.

I have spent whole winters skiing on skis I pulled from a dumpster. I used to get food from my night shift at my work in a restaurant. Free coffee in the morning from a hotel lobby and maybe a danish from time to time. We would poach hot tubs at slope side resorts and travel only by foot and thumb. Saltines and hot sauce from ski area cafeterias was lunch. I even did a little hucking and photo whoring for some extra $ or gear. The beans, tomato soup, and potatoes does sound pretty good. We all don't spend thousands on gear or not always anyhow. Ski bums are passionate people and tend to make due with whatever we can to ski powder.

That being said.........listen to telebobski and don't shit where you eat!

What a fucking JONG. Want to ski a bit better, smell better, maybe even get up into a chick every now and then? Then don't let your gut live out of a can. Learn to cook in the bulk section. Lentils, rice, beans, maybe some meat every now and then. Find the spot in town for cheap veggies. Dank veggie burritos, and maybe some eggplant parmigiana for when you want to impress that snow bunny. Spend a little more time thinking and less time letting Kraft think for you.
    You may even become better at your job, if you're into that kind of thing.
    "She loved snow...That was the simple objective, being airborne, up longer, higher, more casually and with more fuckoff elegance than anyone else...Such endeavours require a kind of egotism, a near autistic narrowness. Everything conspires against you, the habits of physics, the impulse to flee and you're weighted down by every dollop of commonsense ever dished up. Everyone will tell you your goal is impossible, pointless, stupid, wasteful. This idiot resolve is all you have."
    -Tim Winton

i ski atleast 60 70 days a year and definitely get laid on occasion. I also manage to work less than 4 days a week during the winter, which allows for epic day trips/missions etc
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Cat food and a bagel.
    BAGEL! We don't need no stinking BAGEL.

I eat out a few nights, sushi, noodles, mussel night at Zino's, a little thai food….

When in Colorado I like to grill those big fat bone -in NY's you can get and some veggies, salsa and a few tortilla's.

I do carry a thermos and bring lunch on the mountain though!

I skied 70 days last year and earned a masters degree which was basically a full time job. Just saying.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

A true ski bum would be getting stoned every night while fixing/waxing the boards.....not studying....

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I skied 70 days last year and earned a masters degree which was basically a full time job. Just saying.
    Um, no it's not if you skied 70 days. Wait until you actually get a "full time job" and get back to us.

And, to answer the OP, rice and beans.

The Ski Bum’s Guide
    2nd edition

By Darren R. Romar and Steven A. Steinberg

http://www.skibumsguide.com/ski_bum2.htm

unlike most ski bums these guys have broken omerta to reveal some of the secrets of ski bum economics!!!! food is perhaps the most important area of a successful ski bum career!!! you cannot ski every day of the season over a lifetime with a shitty diet!!!!

these ski bum posts always draw alot of interest. ski bums hold a position in american culture much like the one filled by cowboys!!! lots of legendary and mythic themes!!! for the average normal skier it is not uncommon to loosely grasp the goal of one day becoming a ski bum. in the end we each define this term for ourselves!!! putting aside all of the cliches and humor surrounding ski bum life for a moment i would offer that at some basic level a ski bum is a simply spiritual individual engaged in a profound physical activity. tribe up!!! gather round!!! in a healthy family we each support the others dreams!!!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    skiin almost every day isn't that hard
    nor is doing it w/ a "full time job"
    more skill ya haz
    less bummin ya need to do.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Don't forget the ramein noodles or canned tuna.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Um, no it's not if you skied 70 days. Wait until you actually get a "full time job" and get back to us.

I think I'm on pace for about a 60-70 day season this year, depending on how spring shapes up and how quickly I shift gears back to biking. It's not unreasonable for a person working full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Eh, I got 50+ all through law school and in a full time lawyer job for years, could have hit 70 if I was truly dedicated. Only thing that stopped me was having a kid. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Really. A lawyer? As I said, a real job.

Touche...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy