Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Ski Bum Life - Cheap food

How bad is the terrain? It’s located between Magic and Killington. It’s affordable. And it’s 2,000vert of manicured buff. Not everyone is a bro-brah shralper. Yourself and bunny, included. It’s the closest, consistently good skiing to Walpole, NH. Where I live. No one is bumming. Vibe is positive in this Vermont town.
    Go on now
    crab in my shoe mouth

So, what exactly are you saying? You're a fan of affordable manicured buff you don't have to drive too far to? What the fuck.

I wanted to scream when they shut that orange thing in my face. Good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So, what exactly are you saying? You're a fan of affordable manicured buff you don't have to drive too far to? What the fuck.

I wanted to scream when they shut that orange thing in my face. Good lord.
    I’m sure you did, you have deep seated insecurity about riding and more importantly, disembarking lifts.
    Such a beater, go on now.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Okemo used to be the ultimate ski bum mountain when they had the "free hour" from 8:00 to 9:00 AM every day. Zoom the groom for 90 minutes or so for free and then go to work or move on to shuttle ski Round Top or some other defunct area that had snow. Lots of fun locals would hammer what they could in the free hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    FWIW... The OP is now a sponsored, sprinter (ford)-driving Dutch "freeskier" living in the Alps getting free schwag from his sponsors and still pushing the social media front.

Ski bums still exist, they're just more hidden in the cracks. In reality, the concept of the traditional ski bum (in most resort towns) has been replaced by southern hemisphere J-1's trying to last their winter in North America and hopefully take some cash home.
    I feel like the landscape has changed over the last 20 years, what we classically think of as ski bums don't really exist anymore.

I think people who strive to be media whores for the sake of spanceship are more prostitutes than bums.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

My buddy the MD claimed that while we were skiing lots we made too much money, smoked /drank/ate too well and coined the term ... Gentlemen skiers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Eggs, peanut butter, eggs. Snowcat deliveries at night=kitchen leftovers. Started trading ski tunes for dinner, not 3.2 beer.

Used to have a good routine before grad school, but haven't figured out the new system. Lots of surfing in the morning and at sundown, rather than skiing.

The Kraft Dinner/ketchup soup dirt bag ski bums, living in closet have the wrong approach.

My MO for over 4 decades involved working seasonally spring, summer, fall, in resource industries in western Canada. The deprivation part occurred due to working in remote logging and mining camps and small northern towns. Come winter I would quit or get laid off, have a decent amount $$ bank account, and most often be collecting Employment Insurance. Money in the bank at the end of the season gets sent to the stock broker for investment.

Part time job at a mountain owned business to get a pass. Working full time evenings or nights can wear a guy down and is not the best way to go.

Now that I am retired I work part time at a ski shop/demo centre, get to ski their fleet of skis, buy equipment directly from the reps for a better pro deal than most ski instructors get, or 40% off retail for in store items. My staff pass gets me some comp and some 50% off lift tickets at all but a couple of resorts in B.C. I tell my boss: "Its not a job for me, its a hobby".

My ski chalet for the past 25 years has been a 5th wheel trailer (built in Canada with R20 floor and R12 walls and ceiling, marketed as a 4 season RV) currently set up on a friends 40 acre property, over-looking a lake with power, water, septic system, TV and internet via satellite, 15 minutes from the mountain.

One doesn't have to be a broke dirt bag to be a successful ski bum.