Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Attachment 357096

Anyone else look at this and ask, WTF?

Oof, they knew what was below them when that thing pulled. That was a serious "at that moment, they knew they fucked up" situation, terrifying shit man.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    at a certain point shouldnt you strive every day to be your own forecaster
    and use more than a 1 word adjective to describe the dangers the mountains and mother nature in a high risk activity?
    Years ago before we had any sort of forecasting I met someone that moved here from an area that had had a regular forecast and they asked me how do you know whats safe or not without a forecast? They had been skiing in back country for probably 6 years or so and I thought, holy crap, people shouldn't be skiing the BC if they aren't trying to be able to put together their own forecast. I mean, you gotta start out somewhere and we all were there but from the start I think folks should be observing and learning every to eventually be able to determine slope stability and how to navigate the hills on their own. After a few years of doing this sport you should have those skills imo.

It also had me thinking, how many people in the bc are relying completely on the forecast? A forecast is a fine tool but it's not gospel.

Down here we have a small non profit that does weekly updates when we are having a good winter, I help them out when I can with obs or whatever but over the years I've really enjoyed not having one. Not having a forecast taught me a lot about making good decisions and staying safe. KPAC does a really awesome job at getting info out there and when we have the snow and I'm sure plenty of people benefit from their efforts so it's great having that resource now.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

At this point in my life I just treat everything as scary moderate and let my eyes and brain make the decision on the ground. Pwl are an absolute given.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Anyone else look at this and ask, WTF?
    Holy fuck, the luck that must have been involved in surviving that one... The terrain dudes got dragged through looks less than pleasant. Not even sure where I'd put a skinner to get up there on a day where I have no concerns. Steep, multiple fall lines, no safe zones, full exposure to high consequence terrain above and below. Yet the lure of that beautiful wedge in the background is strong.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

That photo gives me the heebie jeebies.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Holy fuck, the luck that must have been involved in surviving that one... The terrain dudes got dragged through looks less than pleasant. Not even sure where I'd put a skinner to get up there on a day where I have no concerns. Steep, multiple fall lines, no safe zones, full exposure to high consequence terrain above and below. Yet the lure of that beautiful wedge in the background is strong.
    It's such a fun ski, in full view from town, too.

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app

Reminds me of Sassopiatto:

This discussion is happening online Facebook and at Avalanche.ca right now. Because Moderate is when most accidents happen.

Perhaps avalanches are *unlikely* when Moderate (as per the official descriptions). But people are *likely* to be caught in avalanches when Moderate (according to the statistics). And of course, the avalanches themselves are not unlikely. They are in fact *more likely* than Low and *less likely* than Considerable.

So perhaps this definition really does need revising.

From the blog:

"Some interpret an avalanche forecast with Moderate and Low danger as “open season,” and it’s easy to see why. But there can be more going on with moderate than a casual glance will reveal. "

https://www.avalanche.ca/blogs/managing-moderate
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er