Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor

This is a really good war flick!

Was awestruck by the book and am looking forward to the film. Thanks for the thumbs-up.

Good book. Did they take the politics out for the movie version?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know how much politics it involved. There is some in the movie, but mostly just background.

cool, thanks.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

A lot of it was filmed at the Santa Fe ski area. I worked loading cast and crew on and off lifts and standing by for chair evacuation. The food was pretty good and I got to shake hands with Marcus Luttrell in the food tent.

Line up to the side to touch me.

Movie is badass, I agree!

Does anyone survive?

butchered the book. I wish I hadn't watched the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
    butchered the book. I wish I hadn't watched the movie.
    Marky mark include the part where he prevents 911?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Totally rad gunfight. Everything else was pretty mediocre. Thankfully most of the movie was the gunfight.

The book wasn't that great - best part was BUD/S training and how the villagers protected him from the Taliban. Worst part was the overbearing politics although I agree with the dickbag media stuff,

I can't stand Marky Mark - I actually own Shooter on DVD because its the most ridiculous movie ever made. At least Lone Survivor had a kickass gunfight (with realistic suppressor sound) and wasn't all "Muslim bad - Murica good". Plus Marky Mark is like 5 feet tall and Lutrell is something like 6'4".

You're all gonna hate this but here goes...

I haven't read the book, so maybe for those who have you could explain a few things..

The story seems strange--these are highly trained soldiers, trained to deal with situations such as the one involving the goat herders. I understand that they're in a highly sensitive, compromised position, but it seems like they could have come up with a better solution than just let the goat herders go and scramble up the mtb, not knowing if they would get com.. For instance, why not just take the herders captive until extraction? Why were they apparently so unfamiliar with the terrain and their position, ie reaching the false summit?

Overall I thought the action was amazing, etc, but the story line is kind of thin--seems like there's a better, deeper story there to be told. As far as I can tell the story is about code of ethics--whether Taliban, villagers, navy seal, etc..I get that, but I would've like to see that pressed a bit more..

Now for the straight criticism of the film itself..

Score is super cheesy, makes it all feel like propaganda..
    Some of the imagery has a team America feel..
    The little village boy looks very Indian, obvious 'cute' western features so the Mercian audience can connect?
    How about the back story on that village, they're really fucked as far as I can tell, barely alluded to in the film..

Overall I think the film completely glorifies war, and in some way disrespects the story and purpose or code of ethics these guys lived and died for by spinning the tale into a piece of cheap propaganda.

War is not cool, I can't help but think of all the nineteen year olds who will see this film and enlist for all the wrong reasons.

Are the first 200 or so pages of the book in the film? If so, I'll pass.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Are the first 200 or so pages of the book in the film? If so, I'll pass.
    Like is said - as far as the book is concerned the best parts were before and after the actual op itself. The gunfight in the book was really confusing and basically "...and then I fell off a cliff for the fifteenth time! Thank God and Baby Jesus that my MKII was still in one piece!"

The film covers the BUD/S training in the opening credits and only deals with the village hideout briefly. Most of the film was the failed op and the ensuing gunfight.

Mitch - I think you're expecting too much. I went to it expecting a shitload of shooting and it delivered. Hell - I was impressed that Marky Mark wasn't pulling off head shots on guys in moving trucks at 800 meters and they actually had the sonic crack of bullets being fired from suppressed weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Like is said - as far as the book is concerned the best parts were before and after the actual op itself. The gunfight in the book was really confusing and basically "...and then I fell off a cliff for the fifteenth time! Thank God and Baby Jesus that my MKII was still in one piece!"
    Jer nails it. Though I thought some of the anecdotal stuff in between Lutrell's description of the gunfight was pretty good. Very heartfelt. Stuff like the realization that his med kit was gone and there wasn't much he could to help Murph or Axe was pretty gripping. The action scenes were confusing and hard to visualize.

I'll see the film in the next few days. I got to know some folks close to Axe in college. Sounded like an amazing individual from both them and the book. Looking forward to his portrayal.

looking forward to seeing this

written & produced by Dexter Rutecki
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

One thing I'd like in a movie gunfight is for the gunfire to be cranked up super loud. The film was pretty good at conveying the confusion, chaos and the HOLY FUCKUNG SHIT THIS US FUCKED UP!!! part without losing the viewer but it would have been even better with realistically loud gunfire/RPG explosions. Even if you had to issue the audience muffs or something.

Saw it this evening, the butchered village part notwithstanding it was hard to watch but solid. Anybody else notice Dietz's BCA pack in the final montage.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Saw it this evening, the butchered village part notwithstanding it was hard to watch but solid. Anybody else notice Dietz's BCA pack in the final montage.
    Yep - I caught that as well. My BCA pack has reflective piping. Dietz's must have been the blacked-out spec ops version.

Yet another thing I'd like to see in a movie gunfight are shaky reticles. I don't know how these guys hold so dead steady after scrambling down 300 feet of steep rock while being shot/shot at.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Anybody else notice Dietz's BCA pack in the final montage.
    Ha, totally caught that too.

Overall, I thought it was a great movie. Intense, action packed and even though it was a Hollywood adaptation it does renew your appreciation for what those guys have to go through. Two thumbs up.

I wouldn't call her review controversial. More like laughable libdouche smegma. Look - I don't see why this film is #1 right now because it really isn't that good, but this chic obviously had her mind made up before she even got out if her Prius at the theatre. The one thing besides the gunfight that I liked about the film was that it DIDN'T portray all non white non Muricans as dirty evil terrorists. Yeah - the Hollywood number of 200 enemy troops was actually more like 50 but I don't know where she got 10 from - she must have been there. And as for the dialogue during the fight - does she expect them to be discussing 19th Century literature while twisting a CAT onto their leg? And I seriously doubt Lutrell gives a rats ass what this dumb lib thinks. Hey - but it gets Beck's website some traffic....

“It was the stupidest, most southern-fried, lamebrained decision I ever made in my life. I must have been out of my mind. I had actually cast a vote which I knew could sign our death warrant. I’d turned into a fucking liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jackrabbit.”

His lambasting of liberals doesn't help, but in a sense his decision making process was aligned with the liberal/human rights way of thinking. To criticize him for that, and paying the price, is pretty fucking lame.

The book was 80% fluff, 20% tits. I can't imagine the move to be much better. The premise really could have made for an incredible book if he hadn't been so politically bent. Read Black Hawk Down for an excellent, modern, "everything is totally fucked" war story.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

^^^^^^
    That's a pretty good synopsis. The story could have made a pretty good book and film but as it is the book is like one of a hundred of "I was there" war accounts and the film is just another mindless action flick (albeit with a pretty good gunfight).