Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sage ??

5 is sweet pitching Salmon flies on the South/Henry's Fork. 6 and 7 are both killer streamer rods.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    5 is sweet pitching Salmon flies on the South/Henry's Fork. 6 and 7 are both killer streamer rods.
    Since we are on the subject...

What Rio lines are matching up well for those stix? Both(or three), flavors.

I run the Rio Outbound Short on my 10' 7.
    I really enjoy this line for this rod and the majority of fishing we do.
    It is a versatile line that can fish all types of water as well as lakes.

6-21809 WF7F/I Clear/Ivory/Green 265 30ft 9.1m Flt/1.5 ips 100ft 30.5m

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Since we are on the subject...

What Rio lines are matching up well for those stix? Both(or three), flavors.
    I like a straight #5 Perception on the #5, though some are going to a 6. Unlike a TCX I'm ok straight to size. Like DeathVan says, an Outbound Short is pretty sweet on the 6 and 7, though I prefer the StreamerTip. Again straight to size.

Not sure why but I am getting tempted to pick up a Method. I don't need it though and would have a hard time choosing a wt. got more than enough rods. Might have a rod sale coming soon.

Anybody fished the 5-6-7wts ?
    Not me (I keep telling myself that). Every time I see one in the shop I walk by pretending like I don't even notice it. Kind of like that stripper I used to get it on with when I would see her in public...
    Even though you both know how bad you want it, must resist.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

That's a great way to put it

I just checked mudhole and the Method blanks are about 50% the cost of the finished rod. $400 to build a single hand rod? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    I just checked mudhole and the Method blanks are about 50% the cost of the finished rod. $400 to build a single hand rod? Really?
    I don't know if that is good or bad. What do blanks normally run and what does it cost in other parts to build a rod of equivalent quality to the sage built ones?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I don't know if that is good or bad. What do blanks normally run and what does it cost in other parts to build a rod of equivalent quality to the sage built ones?
    I don't know. I guess I was expecting $550 blank and $250 build. Custom builders charge a lot but they don't have a mass production operation. Makes me wonder what the $1350 Spey blanks will run.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    Custom sourced cork, specifically for Sage, as good for components as you can buy and a laborious process that's all done by hand, by 'Muricans. So ya, We're lucky they're not more...

Got my rod. The thing is a beast, can't wait to cast it. So different from what this trout fisherman has been used to...

Sage - his skiing has never been better.
    http://sagecattabriga-alosa.com/
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

How has the fishin' been over there, adipose?

Ya, how is the fishing over there? I would be down for a trip in Adiposes neck of the woods.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Good and getting better every day..
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

March is my favorite time to fish your water. Maybe I might, just by chance, have a "business trip" over there next month.

If you do, let me know and I will pull one off as well!

My Wife and kids are heading to FL the last week in March. I'm being left behind to stay with our 13yr old lab, (we can't leave her with anyone else anymore). That's my window. I'll ask my Dog and see what she says.

My Wife and kids are heading to FL the last week in March. I'm being left behind to stay with our 13yr old lab, (we can't leave her with anyone else anymore). That's my window. I'll ask my Dog and see what she says.
    Well if your dog says yes let me know and I will saddle up and meet you there. I could even work it in with a visit to the patents in Cody. Earn a few brownie points.

It will have to be last minute. She is not very mobile and I don't want to put her through the ride plus fishing all day in shitty weather but if the weather looks nice, I might give it a shot.

Sounds like you guys both NEED a new rod.

Have you checked out the Method

What are your thoughts on Sage quality these days?

I have memory of old Sage sticks that took a hell of a beating and never broke. Granted there has been plenty of changes/upgrades in technology to lighten up fly rods and improve over all performance but the current materials, especially as they taper in the rod tips seem to be extraordinarily brittle and are subject to snapping with very little force, (I'm not talking about a bad cast where a monster, articulated streamer whacks the rod).

Not trying to bash Sage rods. I dig them. Just looking to see if the folks that own or sell the newer gen rods from Sage have experienced lots of breaks compared to other rod companies.
    WTF Sage rods were you using? I watched more sages break than any other brand back in my guiding days... I've had problems with all modern rods, they cast nice but they break. Not sure sages are an exception, my buelahs have broke a lot (most the time because I do stupid things) but sometimes just casting.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care