Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sage ??

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    I bought it used from Bill Kiene right after I started fishing. It has been to hell and back, with a newbie fly fisherman, all over the world. Now, it's lined up with a T14 shooting head, and it absolutely sings. I love it so much I am seriously considering a Method.
    Small world, I put more miles on that particular rod that Bill did.

The Method is Sick!, just saying.

I banged fish with my 10' 7wt hard this year, it shoots line like no other rod I've thrown and it took it's fair share of barrel headed shots with out a scratch.

We fish a ton of Sage out here fwiw, breakage rates aren't any higher on the new stuff than on any other makers from my experience.
    -rods do get abused here as well

Dude, PLease stop talking about the Method. If I hadn't gotten married, I would own 3 or 4. I did get married. I am still thinking about minute differences between weights. I really love fast action rods!!
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Of the few casts that I've gotten of late...their Z-Axis and ZXL have put a smile on the face(as did the BIIIx), then I glanced at their pricetags(admittedly known!)...for right now..gonna wait a while with my "old" 8' StCroix Ultra..lol. BUT...would like to try the Method...see what it feels like...
    Last edited by steved; 01-21-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Dude, PLease stop talking about the Method. If I hadn't gotten married, I would own 3 or 4. I did get married. I am still thinking about minute differences between weights. I really love fast action rods!!
    Pinned a 15lb buck on the 8126 Method yesterday. Oh sorry, is that not helping?

Isn't there some statistic out there that claims 50% of the marriages in the US end in a divorce these days? Look at it this way...you have a 50% chance of getting a Method!

Those things seem to be taking the fast action world by storm. I'd love to have one but that stout of a rod is not necessary for my tout endeavors. Next time I need to replace the musky/salt sticks, I'm prolly gonna go that route.

I don't have a need for another high end rod, but there sure are some sweet fast action rods pushing the envelope right now. I am all for Rod companies pushing the edge for super high end rods. Eventually that tech will trickle down into the lower priced rods.

The Scott Radian seems to be making a lot of noise in the trout world as well right now. It sure is pretty, but was a little fast for my taste. Now I only cast it in a pond at the show and I was casting a 9'6" 6wt with just a line and leader...but I wish they would of kept the softer tip of the S4.

What is the tip like on the 4-7wt Methods?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

How much difference do you think there is when they come out with a new model? For instance going from the TCX to the Method or from the ZXL to the Circa. I am sure they have refined the rod some, I just wonder if the average schmo like me would notice the difference? (And I am trying to convince myself that my current quiver which includes a ZXL and a TCX is still the shit)
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

The Method is a lot friendlier than the TCX, retains it's fast character but without being a total broomstick. Circa is truly slow where as the ZXL was pretty medium in flex with a much faster recovery.

Gretch the tip on the 590 Method that I fish a lot is pretty firm, nice for streamer fishing and throwing Salmon flies in the wind. Fast with a friendly tip would be that god-awful ugly ONE

Yeah, I just wonder sometimes what the point of a 5wt streamer rod is or even a fast action 4wt. When I am fishing a shorter 4wt, I want something slow and delicate like the Circa or G2. Maybe I don't know becuase I have never owned one. Lately I have been in the fill-in where needed with used and lower end rods. Not sure what I would get next or where I would put a new rod in my quiver. I do like the idea of a Method Elite 8wt. Having two tips on a trip for reds or bones would be nice, but most people just take an extra rod anyhow?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Going to dig this up.

I use two old Sage rods (586 RPL and 890 RPLX) that my dad got new in the 1980's… He fished the hell out of them and so do I, holding up awesome! It's a pretty cool feeling fishing a stick that's almost 28 years old.

Last year he broke his newer XP. Must have had a score in it somewhere, broke mid cast. Had it replaced within 2 weeks. Bottom line is I don't think the newer rods took any kind of durability hit.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Pinned a 15lb buck on the 8126 Method yesterday. Oh sorry, is that not helping?
    You, sir, are a DICK. A dick who I am jealous of.

Schwerty, up yours. I have to say, I see the single side of things, but I am just a much more happy and adjusted douche married to my lovely wife. The last two months, I managed a Redington Dually and a Beulah Classic, with matching Lamson Speedster reels. Still to line them up. (Edit, Speedsters, because I am going to work these bad boys through the salt.)

I am in love with the Method. I am still mulling over plans to build a saltwater operation in a semi-near place. When I look at owning enough gear to outfit a fly op, I think I have to break away from Sage. Can't have shit shipped to Centro each month at those prices because some gringo snapped it on the front-cast.

That post was meant to be a joke. I'm married too and a far better person as a result. Im sure you'll have a great marriage. It's obviously a hell of a lot more important than a fly rod. I kinda figured you'd get the joke. I have an interesting sense of humor. Sorry if I pissed you off.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    That post was meant to be a joke. I'm married too and a far better person as a result. Im sure you'll have a great marriage. It's obviously a hell of a lot more important than a fly rod. I kinda figured you'd get the joke. I have an interesting sense of humor. Sorry if I pissed you off.
    I thought it was pretty funny, also married. I would never trade my relationship for a fly rod, but there are days where my ZXL is a whole lot more understanding.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Oh no, I was not offended. I was laughing when I wrote it. Although, I think I fight with my fly rod more than I fight with my woman.

Just gonna throw out there that I ordered a Method 7wt switch rod last night... Gonna be my Stealhead/stillwater rod. Pretty frickin excited.

That's a sweet rod, you're gonna like it, a lot.

How do you guys fish switch rods on stillwater? Just two hand overhead casts?

Honestly, this is my first 2 hander rod. But I've been told it does one handed casts decently also. And I'm getting a deal I can't refuse on it, so I will get back to you on how it is to fish stillwater. Some big lakes around me, and I don't have a boat, so I am looking forward to the extra umph to get the flies out in front of the fish. I'm also super excited to learn all the double handed casts with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    How do you guys fish switch rods on stillwater? Just two hand overhead casts?
    Exactly, take a short headed line like the Outbound Short, rear it back, and let it fly. Line up a couple sizes. Stupid easy.

Tele, a 450-480 is tits on that rod for spey casting.

I've got 2 available spools for the reel I'm going to use on it. For my use, mostly lakes around hear with a couple steelhead trips a year, what would you recomend for 2 good lines to start out with. I'm not super familiar with how lines for these rods work, so as specific as you can be would be great. Rio and SA are 2 lines I prefer to stick with. I was looking at the RIO Chucker for one of them.

Thanks for the advice snapt! If your ever around Steamboat, let's wet a line.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Isn't there some statistic out there that claims 50% of the marriages in the US end in a divorce these days? Look at it this way...you have a 50% chance of getting a Method!
    This made me spit thai food on my computer
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele'ndaboat View Post
    I've got 2 available spools for the reel I'm going to use on it. For my use, mostly lakes around hear with a couple steelhead trips a year, what would you recomend for 2 good lines to start out with. I'm not super familiar with how lines for these rods work, so as specific as you can be would be great. Rio and SA are 2 lines I prefer to stick with. I was looking at the RIO Chucker for one of them.

Thanks for the advice snapt! If your ever around Steamboat, let's wet a line.
    RIO makes the best lines ever. Period. But I'm slightlllllly biased....

To line that stick up with 2 spools I would:

Spool 1: Put on a running line then OutBound Short shooting heads (#9) This gives you the versatility to fish different sink rates. They cast great slung off a switch rod, super easy distance. Come in float, Int, Type 3, Type 6.

Spool 2: #7 Chucker. Basically an integrated Skagit. Will swing great and handle anyt tips and also be able to nymph if you want to go to the dark side.

Hope this helps, landed quite a few Dean fish on that rod last summer, great stick.

Thanks Man! I'm super psyched.

Not sure why but I am getting tempted to pick up a Method. I don't need it though and would have a hard time choosing a wt. got more than enough rods. Might have a rod sale coming soon.

Anybody fished the 5-6-7wts ?