Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Wow, excellent outcome. Thanks for posting!
    "I almost feel bad for the guy, awakening the veritable Sauron's Eye that is TGR's sense of entitlement to judgement! " - Joe Strummer

I'm glad you guys made it out ok, the video with the guys head sticking out of the snow is ominous, like he might not have been alive. It makes me short of breath just looking at it. I once read that surviving an avalanche requires more luck than skill and this incident seems to reinforce that point.

Live another day and pass on what you've learned.

Quote Originally Posted by edwin33 View Post
    ^go fuck yourself jong. You think I was wearing an avalung but none of us had shovels, beacons, or probes? Video is cut off because my brother takes off his helmet and it sits on the ground aimed at the snow for 30 minutes. We successfully self-rescued, and the weather was never a problem. He cleared my face to make sure I could breath, and then took off his vest to get out his shovel. I was dug out within a minute, very impressive response by my brother and friend

How are those 333 skis working out douchetroll?

These guys left a little late in the day but did a class-a rescue and transport, not a body recovery.

Great job to your brother, glad you will heal perfectly and ski again soon. I was up there this summer on my bike and hiked down a bit, that is a sketchy zone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ev2.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	147436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ev 1.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	147437

Great observations and sound, important advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    This isn't a commentary on the OP, but an expansion of the discussion of backcountry travel, particularly in EV. I do see a lot of people in EV:

1. Skiing multiple people at one time, often not line of sight.
    2. Not having the ability to travel uphill to help their buddies, no skins or snowshoes.
    3. Skiing very long distances, like 800 or 1000ft, sometimes not line of sight.
    4. Not having a preset communication ability, whether it is specialized yells, whistles, hand singals or radios, when out of line of sight and/or out of earshot.

People do it because it is more fun to skin continuous lines, you can get that 3rd run in, and it makes better footy on the Go Pro.

However, none of that makes it a good idea or responsible action to one's partners.

Always consider how long it will take you to reach your buddy if something happens in the worse place.
    Always have a way to travel quickly uphill.
    Always have communication ability beyond easy eye/earshot.
    Always plan to avoid having multiple people skiing at the same time in avalanche terrain.
    Always plan to avoid situations where you lose sight of your partners.
    Last edited by cranked; 01-09-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

Did I miss something or is the only rescue equipment these guys carried was a go pro camera?

You missed something.
    Quote Originally Posted by edwin33 View Post
    You think I was wearing an avalung but none of us had shovels, beacons, or probes? Video is cut off because my brother takes off his helmet and it sits on the ground aimed at the snow for 30 minutes. We successfully self-rescued, and the weather was never a problem. He cleared my face to make sure I could breath, and then took off his vest to get out his shovel. I was dug out within a minute, very impressive response by my brother and friend
    Change is good. You go first.

^^^ Did ya read the thread and the report? Do you have comprehensive disabilities or are you just not very bright? Lazy? These guys did it right when things went wrong. Lucky maybe. They had a bad day but they rescued their teammate, dealt with his injuries and self-rescued. Best case scenario considering the events. This thread is exhausted. Carry on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    Last edited by lynchdogger; 12-29-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    The Passion is in the Risk

My bad thanks

if anyone is in front of their tv, these guys are going to be on the Today Show in about 2 minutes.

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Total fail for not asking Matt Lauer if he has change for a nickel.

Interesting that in spite of all the media coverage, there doesn't seem to be an accident report on CAIC.
    Did I just miss it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Nevermind

Oops wrong thread ... I guess that says something in and of itself. Too many of these ... change the behavior!

The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    I would imagine who the victim was and connection to VR that they are dotting the i's and crossing the t's before putting anything out. I'd be disappointed if the incident was examined in detail.

And Lindahl it sounds like you have quite the shit show going on.

I am so far removed from this mentality but I certainly remember a lot more respect for the bc when I lived out there in Tride 20 years ago.

Imagine it could be easy to get caught up in but restraint is clearly warranted. Hope people start figuring that out sooner rather than later.

I would encourage a grass routes approach to turn it around.

so you do realize this incident/thread was a couple weeks ago, right?

And sure, obviously 'grass roots' approaches tend to be more effective than 'top down', if that's what you mean, but what does that really mean? That's the challenge.

one tiny step that is just getting going here is educating middle school kids, by showing them the UAC's 'Know Before You Go' film. Link.

That's a start, but a small one, and the challenge in educating to basically start a change in the basic conversation is huge.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Too many of these ... change the behavior!
    That was kind of my point, and all the more reason why reporting to CAIC should take precident over the media junket. Or maybe equal precident? The Today Show appearance probably reached a much wider audience, but with a very low likelyhood of ever venturing out in EV.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    That was kind of my point, and all the more reason why reporting to CAIC should take precident over the media junket. Or maybe equal precident? The Today Show appearance probably reached a much wider audience, but with a very low likelyhood of ever venturing out in EV.
    Just to clarify I posted it to CAIC that night when I got back from the hospital. They have been having lots of website troubles, and after submitting the report multiple times and not seeing it, I emailed them. They said the report had been submitted and would appear on their site shortly. I still have trouble finding it most of the time, but according to them the report is there.

Hmm, same thing happened a few years ago, after I submitted a report. Does not inspire confidence in person submitting the report.
    Maybe something to grumble about in the New CAIC thread? Good on ya' for trying anyway.

The sportgevity interview was really insightful. I imagine when sitting n the hottub looking up those slopes apre time there'll be some thanking of lucky stars.